PLAYER Payne Haas

“I just got off the phone to his manager a few minutes ago, they’re going to put out a statement tonight, he wouldn’t give it all away but I got the impression from his management that they’re going to reject this offer from the Broncos,” Phil Rothfield said on NRL 360 on Monday night.
Well he got one thing wrong. No statement has been put out tonight. Maybe buzz is just full of shit

you had your money on the Bulldogs just a day or two ago
This is where i reckon it stands.
Based on no evidence, or science in any form, heavy on the speculation and guesswork.

1 - Roosters

Daylight

2 - Doggies
3 - Tigers
4 - Storm
5 - Union
6 - Raiders
7 - Broncos

*No chance
Cowboys
Titans
Souths
Eels
Dragons
Warriors
Penrith
Dolphins
Sharks

It’s way too specific to be made up.
I just don't know why they tell buzz rothfield right before he goes on NRL 360 that they are going to release a statement rejecting the deal and then don't. I would guarantee they are seriously considering the deal. My money is that he takes it.

I just don't know why they tell buzz rothfield right before he goes on NRL 360 that they are going to release a statement rejecting the deal and then don't. I would guarantee they are seriously considering the deal. My money is that he takes it.

This is the same management that thought you just casually ask Dave for a release and he says sure.

I don’t believe they are too subtle or covert. It would have been a simplistic phone conversation to interpret.

If not Brisbane, hopefully Rugby Australia.
And if not, hopefully he royally ***** whoever’s cap he is on.
My money is on Gus and there’s a good chance he won’t even be there in 2025.
Such a Gus thing to do.

I think if the reports eventuate that Payne is wanting to test the market and going to reject the deal, then you you start talking to Tino as well.

Need to let Tino's management team know that we're interested if Payne leaves and money opens up.

Don't want to be left standing around with no one in mid-November because Tino thought it was no chance and signed elsewhere

Broncos coach Kevin Walters joined the show and said he was confident Haas would re-sign with the club.

“One of the things we have to provide for Payne is premierships, he wants to play at a successful club and I feel we’re providing that for him right now,” Walters said.

“He’s the best prop in the game and has been for the last couple of years. We love having him in the club and I’d expect that we come up with a package for Payne that keeps him certainly happy financially but most importantly happy on the field where he’s been playing some terrific football.

“He’s one we’re certainly looking at keeping and our guys are going really hard to make sure that happens.”

He’s obviously had a bigger offer elsewhere & given the links with his camp it can only be the roosters or dogs, my tip is roosters and it’s probably been orchestrated for a while now. The broncos should just tell him it’s the best offer he’s going to get and they have to move on and re-sign others.

He’s a fantastic player, but he’s still a prop and that’s all he will ever be, he could run 300m and we could still lose without quality in the spine - and we have a couple of seasons to prove it. You can’t pay a prop $1.1m a year without taking some money away from the spine.

Just my opinion but, if he does reject the offer, i suspect the Storm rumour will be the reason. He’s giving them time to see what they can offer.

I doubt you reject that sort of offer to join the bulldogs etc.
They are just a spoiler bid, they don’t have the money.

I suspect he's trying to fish out an obscene offer from Rugby Union. His manager seems like a snakeish ****, he would know they're desperate for a big scalp over League in Australia. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if someone like the Waratahs threw 1.5 million a year or something at him with financial backing from Rugby Australia.

That would be a big relief for me at least. The last thing I want to see is Haas trampling over the top of us in a Scum or Rorters jersey.

If someone could please explain how the Storm could possibly have half of their $12 million salary cap tied up in six players (Munster, Papenhuyzen, Hughes, Grant, NAS & Haas) ??
Munster 1.3, Hughes 1.1, Grant 1m next deal, Pap's 800k, Nas just re-signed definitely minimum 900k. Welch minimum 600k, Coates 400k. Haas won't go there for under 1.1 that's 7.2m there.

That leaves them 220k average for the remaining 22 players. I guess outside of those stars it's purely journeyman so it's feasible if you throw some betting company shares in to sweeten a few deals.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Gaz
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • sooticus
  • Cavalo
  • Shane Tronc
  • jd87
  • Brotherdu
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.