PLAYER Payne Haas

Munster 1.3, Hughes 1.1, Grant 1m next deal, Pap's 800k, Nas just re-signed definitely minimum 900k. Welch minimum 600k, Coates 400k. Haas won't go there for under 1.1 that's 7.2m there.

That leaves them 220k average for the remaining 22 players. I guess outside of those stars it's purely journeyman so it's feasible if you throw some betting company shares in to sweeten a few deals.
Throw in 500k a year for howarth, who hasn't reached nrl yet and olam on about 400-500k

That will make Tino feel loved & wanted, that he is 2nd choice.
He can sign anywhere he wants, but you at least let it be known that you're interested. Tino will have plenty of offers if he wants to go before November 1, but if he's interested in coming to broncos, which he might be but thinks can't happen because of Payne... then at least you put it out there that if he goes then we've got cash for you.

Munster 1.3, Hughes 1.1, Grant 1m next deal, Pap's 800k, Nas just re-signed definitely minimum 900k. Welch minimum 600k, Coates 400k. Haas won't go there for under 1.1 that's 7.2m there.

That leaves them 220k average for the remaining 22 players. I guess outside of those stars it's purely journeyman so it's feasible if you throw some betting company shares in to sweeten a few deals.

Is it, though? Meaney has proven his worth and a struggling team would throw pretty damn good money at him based on his efforts since Paps went down. Olam has got to be worth a bit (though there's noise about offloading him). Warbrick and Tonumaipea both look pretty good as well, Howarth, Pezet is highly touted...journeymen the rest of them sure but factor in these and that $220k is really much less...I don't buy it. Not even journeymen will play regular NRL even with the Storm for under $200k a year.

Roosters will call it a straight swap, Suaali'i for Haas, and get away with it. I can't see him at the Dogs. If he goes to Sydney - or hell even to Union - I firmly predict they won't get the same out of him as the Broncos would. Same as NSW don't. I don't agree with Tallis on much but he is 1000% right on this.

Stay, Payne. As a whole package, you won't do better than what the Broncos are offering. Unless he's actively trying to move away from his family, in which case rugby is probably the ticket.

Going to be the biggest slice of humble pie for me if he turns around after all this and re-signs with us.
Tasty tasty humble pie.

Going to the biggest slice of humble pie for me if he turns around after all this and re-signs with us.
Tasty tasty humble pie.
I'd just love for the media speculation to end. If he doesn't sign in the next 2 weeks as Kev said, the club should put put a statement that all negotiations are on hold until the end of season.

If Payne walks away from this deal, I don't think we should splurging on someone like Tino.

We should be locking down our younger spine players.
Patty can't do it all on his own though... having the one two punch we have now with Patty and Payne is a hell of a combo that is winning us games.

Panthers have prioritised a middle rotation of JFH and Leota, whereas look at Storm who have been getting run over in the middle at times, because it's looking noticeably weaker. Rabbits and Sharks in the same boat.

If we lose Payne I think we would still need to replace him with another top tier middle, but we won't have much time or options on the market to replace him compared to right now where Payne, Tino and MoFo are all coming off around the same time.

If we still had Flegler on the books, then I think you don't mind too much, because you can build around Patty and Flegler... although I think Flegler is a massive downgrade at the moment compared to the other three.

I'd actually say that on the weekend Flegler was probably our worst middle... Palasia is outplaying him at the moment. Willison looks a smarter footy player than Flegler as well, but probably doesn't have the same motor... I almost trust Willison on the field more than Flegler though.

Willison is looking super promising to me, but you'd think is still a few years away from really establishing himself in the pack and Te Kura is only just starting out in Qcup.

I fucking love Kobe, but can he's looking really good as impact off the bench.

Howarth also on a decent deal as is Olam. They are not a legit option and I trust our powers that he will easily call that bluff because if Haas signed with the Storm, even an incompetent and corrupt organisation such as the NRL couldn’t sweep that under the rug.

Patty can't do it all on his own though... having the one two punch we have now with Patty and Payne is a hell of a combo that is winning us games.

Panthers have prioritised a middle rotation of JFH and Leota, whereas look at Storm who have been getting run over in the middle at times, because it's looking noticeably weaker. Rabbits and Sharks in the same boat.

If we lose Payne I think we would still need to replace him with another top tier middle, but we won't have much time or options on the market to replace him compared to right now where Payne, Tino and MoFo are all coming off around the same time.

If we still had Flegler on the books, then I think you don't mind too much, because you can build around Patty and Flegler... although I think Flegler is a massive downgrade at the moment compared to the other three.

I'd actually say that on the weekend Flegler was probably our worst middle... Palasia is outplaying him at the moment. Willison looks a smarter footy player than Flegler as well, but probably doesn't have the same motor... I almost trust Willison on the field more than Flegler though.

Willison is looking super promising to me, but you'd think is still a few years away from really establishing himself in the pack and Te Kura is only just starting out in Qcup.

I fucking love Kobe, but can he's looking really good as impact off the bench.
Yeah 100% agree with you.

Melbourne thought they could just spend it all on spine. Which works when you have basically 3 immortal quality spine players, but outside of that it's not feasible. For the first time in almost 2 decades they're losing the forward battles against good teams and they don't even look threatening.

Good spine players are only effective when your forwards can match it with the best.

Munster can't carry Melbourne with only Nas posing a threat, Welch is an honest toiler but not elite.

Cleary is probably the best player in the game but poses no threat in origin when QLD just dominate in the forwards.

I think the area to cheap out on budget players is bench props, one centre, and at least one Backrow option.

If you want to be a premiership threat you need an elite middle, an elite spine, and usually one reliable cheap spine player (Hello Walters).

I don't think Haas leaving will kill us, but unless we replace him with a top tier middle we'll go from equal best team to fringe top 4, especially with Flegler gone.

I'm done with him if he doesn't accept our more than generous offer 1.1 million a year and turns us down at all with test the market bullshit. Then I'm finished with him and his selfish attitude at the Brisbane Broncos and wish him all the best at the other club to pick him up. We have gathered a tremendous squad and shouldn't put too much consideration into 1 player, when we have a team that can be great for years.

On 100% Footy tonight they did, in fact, read a statement from his management. I’m paraphrasing here but it said they were always hopeful of doing a deal with the broncos and are still in discussions.

But, the panel (admittedly of idiots) went on to say they understood Payne was interested in including some post-football career options in discussions. At such a young age I find that weird af.

On 100% Footy tonight they did, in fact, read a statement from his management. I’m paraphrasing here but it said they were always hopeful of doing a deal with the broncos and are still in discussions.

But, the panel (admittedly of idiots) went on to say they understood Payne was interested in including some post-football career options in discussions. At such a young age I find that weird af.
It would make sense though if he was considering a Bronco for life kind of deal. He could view it as a last opportunity to include life after football.

If Payne walks away from this deal, I don't think we should splurging on someone like Tino.

We should be locking down our younger spine players.
💯 this. Do we need to desperately replace him? No. We have the stocks. Are they NRL ready?! That’s a different question. I do know that Tino isn’t worth a million.

It would make sense though if he was considering a Bronco for life kind of deal. He could view it as a last opportunity to include life after football.
Surely they can offer this in a heartbeat - just tie a good behaviour clause to it. He ***** around and gets in deep shit again - that clause can be voided by the club at their discretion.

We've been in business for over 30 years, surely there's significant opportunities within the Broncos and in affiliate businesses we could get him prepared for. It's a great incentive for him to behave and not carry on like a pork chop - if he does then he only has himself to blame.

The Titans have Tino, Fifita and Moe. They are coming 13th, so paying big on forwards is not the go. Patty is by far the better player, leader and person. I would be very close to pulling his offer. There are more options, Two of them already listed. What really annoys me is who we have lost due to this.

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.