Peter Ryan’s back

The wrestling we can do without... Our defence when it's on and working has good line speed and good first contact. As soon as they start back peddling, they start looking around and not trusting the bloke beside them and then we get cut to shreds through allowing quick plays- because there's no wrestle...If they're not going to wrestle they need to get the other aspects sorted.
The reason for the back peddling and quick plays is because we have no intention to try and get them onto their back, which is all about technique.

It's why every forward looks useful in the storm system they just copy and paste the technique to all their players. It's not an overly complex thing to learn.

You can have as fast a line speed as you want but if you're not getting them on their back then you will be conceding quick plays all day and getting cut through the middle.

The storm attempt to slow the ruck down through all the phases of the tackle, first defender in is just trying to lock up the arms of the player carrying the ball while holding the man up, this is really obvious technique when you watch them play where the defender just wraps his arms tightly under and around the attackers arms and ball.

Once the ball is locked up they then often commit another two to the tackle while still holding the man up off the ground, the refs are happy to let it go for ages because there is still a bit of movement in the tackle.

They then slowly attempt to push the attacker back and to the ground with the aim of making sure he lands on his back on the ground, often you will hear the ref call held while the man is still in the air but as long as there is movement the ref will let the three tacklers push on and take the man to the ground, it then takes time for 3 defenders to peel off.

Its the first contact and holding the man up is the key for mine to gaining that extra time, the refs really only give penalties if you lay all over the man on the ground and are slow getting off.

Its ugly but is pretty clever coaching and they clearly put a lot of work into practicing the technique.
Good breakdown but the second most important aspect after locking up the ball is wrapping up the legs.

The second or third man in will stop the legs, not to bring them down but to stop them and weaken their base so they can't resist the upper body guy. From that point the guy up top turns him and works him down to the ground on his back.

Legs guy peels off first and goes into 2nd marker and upper body guy gets off last as first marker.

It's not illegal it's just a simple and fucking effective technique that everyone has adopted except the broncos.

I hate the wrestle, but I'm afraid it's adapt or die, thanks to the piss weak NRL

1. Cheating to keep the Australian spine
2. Getting away with illegal tactics every week

1. Fair enough
2. It’s not cheating to wrestle well. I can not recall anything specifically in the rule book (although admit can’t say read it lately) and rest is open to ‘interpretation’ which consistently allows it. I don’t think it’s a try when u land on the ball with your chest but the that’s the ruling - don’t hear many complaints if Broncs benefit. I think a trip should be a major offence like it was in the past maybe 4 weeks holiday without blinking but the current rules and interpretation make it points. Point being it doesn’t matter how you think it should be - have to play the whistle.

Last edited:
1. Fair enough
2. It’s not cheating to wrestle well. I can not recall anything specifically in the rule book (although admit can’t say read it lately) and rest is open to ‘interpretation’ which consistently allows it. I don’t think it’s a try when u land on the ball with your chest but the that’s the ruling - don’t hear many complaints if Broncs benefit. I think a trip should be a major offence like it was in the past maybe 4 weeks holiday without blinking but the current rules and interpretation make it points. Point being it doesn’t matter how you think it should be - have to play the whistle.
A fair bit of what they do is illegal. The Storm will wrestle to get you on your back but if they don't get you on your back the first time they will have a 2nd go and often get away with it. Add to that the arm bars and twists that hurt players, especially after 80 minutes of them.

Because we all have brilliant football minds and the coaching staff are all numpties.

Results this year would tend to agree with that statement...

From memory you have to get to 11th or 12th before you find a team that conceded more points than us this year...

The broncos of all teams should wrestle. Teams that have Quick play the balls cut us to pieces through the middle. So we need to slow them down as much as possible and get our line set

It says Wayne will be implementing the defence systems. Ryan will only teach the tackling techniques which arm grabbers like Milford need to learn. Shame milf has a bung shoulder and probably won't do any tackling practice.

I though Milf's defence improved substantially this year....?

TPJ could learn how to use his shoulder.

TPJ could learn how to use his shoulder.

In some aspects Milford's defence improved, in others it stayed the same, I think his technique has improved somewhat(still room for improvement) but he still has a tendency to read the attack poorly leaving holes for the attack to exploit. That said Kodi is far more of a concern.

Last edited:
Ryan hasn't agreed to anything yet- doesn't even talk to Broncos until next week.

A fair bit of what they do is illegal. The Storm will wrestle to get you on your back but if they don't get you on your back the first time they will have a 2nd go and often get away with it. Add to that the arm bars and twists that hurt players, especially after 80 minutes of them.

Agree re Melbourne. Please note I said not illegal to wrestle well. Intentionally putting players in unsafe positions isn’t acceptable. As for the second effort it’s subjective re momentum. Got no problems pushing the envelope on that one.

Ryan hasn't agreed to anything yet- doesn't even talk to Broncos until next week.

The talk of him being ‘part time’ if it is anything like the offer Gilly walked away from doesn’t inspire me with confidence...

Wayne wants to run the defensive structures, eh?

Has he already forgotten 2018?

One can only hope they offer him more then one day a week like they did Gillmeister. Perhaps a valuable lesson was learned.

Milf's style of play definitely changed this year, his kicking and defence has come along really well but his running game suffered a little.

He looks hesitate and unsure about when to just run or to throw the pass, its just not instinctive and its knocked the edge off his running game.

One can only hope they offer him more then one day a week like they did Gillmeister. Perhaps a valuable lesson was learned.

Let's hope so

Defence was clearly our biggest issue this year

If you find the right bloke to fix that up (be that Ryan or not) put that bloke on full time FFS

Results this year would tend to agree with that statement...

From memory you have to get to 11th or 12th before you find a team that conceded more points than us this year...
I think the insight that our defence stinks has not escaped the coaching staff.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Big Del
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • bert_lifts
  • Rambstien
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Astro
  • Mustafur
  • bazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.