NEWS Petero on TPJ

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Tevita Pangai Jr remains on probation after being sprung sneaking out of the bubble last year. The good news is he has so far stuck to his terms, which include working in a landscaping shop, quitting social media, being mentored by Petero Civoniceva and mostly importantly, getting back into shape.

Petero, now part of the Broncos’ welfare department said of
Pangai Jr:

“He has been really impressive, during the break he worked really hard and has come back in fantastic shape. I’m really excited about the year ahead for him. It’s a year where we will need a lot from him. His time is right now. He is training really well and the way he has applied himself to coming back in such good shape is testament to his attitude and what he feels his responsibility is to the team. His mindset and the way he’s come back indicates he is in for a big year. That’s exactly what the club needs from him. We need him to be a leader."

938dc9bc6ee41ca147ba9c857de88501

“We’ve got some good young forwards but he’s been around the game for a while now so it’s about him taking this opportunity and making the most of it. It’s always a challenge for any young player to get the right balance with your life away from football and what you do on the field. It’s important he has got the right people around him that can help him do that. His attitude and the way he’s applied himself to training is a really good indicator around his mental state. He wanted to come back in top shape which is an indication he has taken the right steps to prepare himself to play well."

“Everyone at the club is excited about the way he has worked hard and applied himself."

“The big challenge for Tevita is being consistent. If he can strive for that consistency every week and be the forward leader we know he can be it will be a great year for him. You can’t underestimate the hard work that has to be put in to do that. The club will get him into a good headspace to move forward.”

Corey Parker concurs:

“I just want to see him reach his potential consistently. He’s put a lot of work in and I’ve had a fair bit to do with him. He’s worked extremely hard on himself and also physically. He is one of those guys that can be one of the best players in the competition on his day. His consistency has let him down and some of his off-field stuff. Working alongside him, he is tracking great at the moment. We’ll see what unfolds.”

McHunt

Last edited:
This is probably one of the things I am most looking forward to for the upcoming season - seeing TPJ rip in, consistently.

There's so, so much untapped potential there. The guy can be an absolute monster for us. He just needs to control his aggression and be a bit smarter about things.

Also, Petero is a dreamboat.

God, I love Petero. Hope he gets TPJ just destroying other teams.

Does Parker have an official role with us again?
It was spoken about by Kevvie on the radio around the first week of preseason... and basically hinted that it would be happening

They might be waiting on what the covid bubble situation is for the upcoming year.

Parker dropped out last year because of his media commitments... if the bubble conditions are somewhat relaxed he might be able to play a role with the squad.

critical year for him.....cant think of what else the club can do to maximise the opportunities for him to show his talent..?

It up to him now....literally now or never.....I wish him luck, everyone will benefit if he can become what we all hope he can be...

critical year for him.....cant think of what else the club can do to maximise the opportunities for him to show his talent..?

It up to him now....literally now or never.....I wish him luck, everyone will benefit if he can become what we all hope he can be...

I feel like it is now or never for the majority of the team which isn’t a bad thing for a 2022 makeover I suppose.

If he's not clever enough to follow Petero's advice, one day he wake up and ask himself "What if....?"

Niiiice, can't think of a better player welfare guy than Petch.

He needs to control himself on the field and improve his discipline. Then we will see if he can bring some consistency in his game.

Here's an interesting story that shows that TPJ is capable of change and learning. Only a few years ago he didn't know that he should be using soap when he showers to get clean, which Sam Thaiday noticed. After being told of the benefits of good hygiene, TPJ changed his ways and now uses soap when he showers. I miss the high quality conversations on the Broncos' podcast with Thaiday and Yow Yeh.

To be fair, it's gotta be tough for him when he cops 4 week suspensions for hitting people too hard in legal tackles.

It’s becomes a rock-and-hard-place for players that get that rep unfairly, either they play normally and get suspended every month because of referee and judiciary incompetence and bias, or they go into their shell and get accused of not putting in or their playing becomes ineffective

Last edited:

Active Now

• Organix
  • Broncorob
  • heartly87
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • Rookie Alan
  • BroncosMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.