Phil Gould's Rallying Cry to Broncos Fans

I wouldn’t take note of Gus . He is the king of 20/20 hindsight . Instead of siebold on 5 year contract he would have the majority of players on 5 year contracts if he was in charge

I have to disagree, I think the NRL is tickled fucking pink right now. If they didn't want to have the Broncos go bad they wouldn't have killed us with the 6 agains in the opening rounds of the restart. They wanted this, the got it and they would be over the moon.

this ...

the needed something juicy to get the NRL incompetence and financial mis-management of the back pages. us starting the season undefeated, wasn't going to cut it

Now, they got exactly what they wanted.

Correct. I"m not sure they've done a great deal to encourage it to happen, but they certainly won't be interested in turning it around.
Good. If the club turns it around it'll be on the back of hard work, not favours from the refs (although I'm sure there will be no shortage of folk wanting to suggest otherwise).

I have to disagree, I think the NRL is tickled fucking pink right now. If they didn't want to have the Broncos go bad they wouldn't have killed us with the 6 agains in the opening rounds of the restart. They wanted this, the got it and they would be over the moon.
Whats their motive then? A second Brisbane team? And are you implying they told the refs to use the 6 again's against us in the opening rounds?
I dont see how tearing one of the biggest clubs down does anything but hurt the NRL at a time when they want to give the game the best possible image after the fiasco at the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Good. If the club turns it around it'll be on the back of hard work, not favours from the refs (although I'm sure there will be no shortage of folk wanting to suggest otherwise).
The officials haven't done us any favours in the last decade, I'm not sure why they'd start now.

Last edited:
this ...

the needed something juicy to get the NRL incompetence and financial mis-management of the back pages. us starting the season undefeated, wasn't going to cut it

Now, they got exactly what they wanted.
This makes absolutely no sense. You are saying they wanted to remove their financial incompetence from the press by making the broncos lose 6 straight?
In doing so, taking a further financial hit?
I'll take a 50 bag of whatever you are smoking.

This is some Eddie Bravo level of conspiracy nonsense right here.

Last edited:
I cant stand gould! Perhaps the most critical person of referees, players and administrators and he has audacity to tell bronco fans how to respond to the showings we have seen?

Supporting the club doesnt mean you have to do it blindly, that is a one way path to supporting mediocrity. Supporting a club's opinion that a man who openly said himself he had no answers, is the right man for the job is ludicrous

I get some of the personal attacks go way too far, but suggesting every player is putting in the same amount of effort/dedication than others? if that is their top effort, they should make way for others who are performing better.

This makes absolutely no sense. You are saying they wanted to remove their financial incompetence from the press by making the broncos lose 6 straight?

when was the last time the media reported on NRL incompetence or their financial mismanagement? 😉

Thanks Gus , but we'll take it until our fortunes turn around . Perhaps you could direct some coaching advice to AS he's part of our problem and the NRL about shit new rules .

How exactly would the NRL be taking any financial hit here? They get their money from the broadcast deal and without looking at the ratings I am sure they would be up if anything. Most rusted on fans will watch anyway and Broncos haters would tune in to watch us get pumped. Maybe you can explain to me why you think the NRL would be concerned right now?

How exactly would the NRL be taking any financial hit here? They get their money from the broadcast deal and without looking at the ratings I am sure they would be up if anything. Most rusted on fans will watch anyway and Broncos haters would tune in to watch us get pumped. Maybe you can explain to me why you think the NRL would be concerned right now?
For starters the broncos is one of the largest clubs, with one of the largest followings, you cant risk losing memberships, viewers on tv and bums on seats for too long before it drives the mediocre fans away, the mediocre fans would make up the large majority of every clubs fan base. Of course the die hards will stick around, but that would no constitute the bulk of their revenue.
Broncos are undoubtedly the largest draw in QLD, with the most potential to bring in new fans, which wont happen while they are spoon contenders.
The same thing would be said right now if the Roosters where in our position, just from a Sydney perspective.
The Broncos are an integral part of the NRL machine, and its primary component north of the border. Cant have it flailing for too long or risk losing ground in the rugby league heartland.
Keep in mind, the financial fragility of the game and anything that risks losing money would be priority one for the NRL right now.

Last edited:
People asking for Toovey, Flanagan, and now Gus. **** times are dark.
Toovey and Gould I could understand the reticence but Flanagan? Prem winning coach with current credentials and a hard bastard to boot. Oh, the peptide thing from 7 years ago. ****, dark ages thinking.

For starters the broncos is one of the largest clubs, with one of the largest followings, you cant risk losing memberships, viewers on tv and bums on seats for too long before it drives the mediocre fans away, the mediocre fans would make up the large majority of every clubs fan base. Of course the die hards will stick around, but that would no constitute the bulk of their revenue.
Broncos are undoubtedly the largest draw in QLD, with the most potential to bring in new fans, which wont happen while they are spoon contenders.
The same thing would be said right now if the Roosters where in our position, just from a Sydney perspective.
The Broncos are an integral part of the NRL machine, and its primary component north of the border. Cant have it flailing for too long or risk losing ground in the rugby league heartland.
Keep in mind, the financial fragility of the game and anything that risks losing money would be priority one for the NRL right now.

Fair points but I don't agree. I think their primary concern in terms of Brisbane currently is the 2nd Brisbane team and them succeeding. The Broncos being successful when they come in will not assist that. They aren't idiots and they realise there are not enough fans to go around for a 2nd team here nor talent for that matter. They try to hide their motivations by saying the fans will come from Brisbane people that don't support the Broncos, but these fans already have their teams and NRL fans are tribal so if they live in Brissie but support the another club they aren't going to drop them just because a Brisbane team that isn't the Broncos comes along. The only chance for this new team is the Broncos being shit so that fair weather fans and talent go to the new team. If Brisbane is flying high they will simply crush the new franchise which will mean it fails or clings on to life support their entire existence like the Titans.

Fair points but I don't agree. I think their primary concern in terms of Brisbane currently is the 2nd Brisbane team and them succeeding. The Broncos being successful when they come in will not assist that. They aren't idiots and they realise there are not enough fans to go around for a 2nd team here nor talent for that matter. They try to hide their motivations by saying the fans will come from Brisbane people that don't support the Broncos, but these fans already have their teams and NRL fans are tribal so if they live in Brissie but support the another club they aren't going to drop them just because a Brisbane team that isn't the Broncos comes along. The only chance for this new team is the Broncos being shit so that fair weather fans and talent go to the new team. If Brisbane is flying high they will simply crush the new franchise which will mean it fails or clings on to life support their entire existence like the Titans.
Yea i see your point in regards to the second team.
Bastards playing some game of thrones levels of fuckery with the QLD supporters right now.

The NRL didn’t orchestrate this ffs.
The arrogance of the Brisbane board and drive to make money first/football second is the downfall of this club.
5 coaches in 10 years and nothing to show for it, 95% our fault.

The other reasons to blame are: stormcheating the cap during our prime premiership window,Beale breaking Locky’s cheek bone.

Not an NRL conspiracy trying to take down their biggest cash cow/ratings guarantee ffs.

How did they ‘kill’ us? Because we are too stupid, lazy, arrogant and in reality incompetent, to adapt to a new rule that we had weeks of no football to get ready for?

Is it any real surprise that the ACTUALLY professional clubs took this in their stride while we have sh*t the bed massively and still haven’t adapted after 6 rounds?

Last edited:

Active Now

• peter09
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Santa
  • barker
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Mr Fourex
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • lynx000
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.