OFFICIAL Piakura signs for three more years

Brendan Piakura has snubbed the Titans and Bulldogs and signed a 3 year $1.2 million extension to his existing contract.

Corey Parker has worked with him in junior teams:

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding. In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season. I can see why the Bulldogs were going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality. Brendan has all the skills. Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita .. he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence. He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, it’s no surprise clubs were lining up to sign him.”

McHunt

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
$400k a year over 3 years.

Must rate him more than they rated Walsh as that’s rather big money for a bloke who, like Walsh, hasn’t played any senior footy.

I also much confess I haven’t seen him outside of the highlights clips so I can’t comment. I just hope he’s as good as they say he is because not only do we need him to be, but if not, we’ve burned even more money on potential rather than performance.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Must rate him more than they rated Walsh as that’s rather big money for a bloke who, like Walsh, hasn’t played any senior footy.

I also much confess I haven’t seen him outside of the highlights clips so I can’t comment. I just hope he’s as good as they say he is because not only do we need him to be, but if not, we’ve burned even more money on potential rather than performance.

Meanwhile we won't cough up 450k for Capewell, go figure.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Won't or can't? Capewell might mention the Broncos by name but that comes across to me as an attempt to prop up his new deal to me. What player would want to join this mob at the moment? Even Reynolds is drifting away now.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

who says we won't ... that happens to be the exact figure being speculated about to sign Capewell from next season

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
who says we won't ... that happens to be the exact figure being speculated about to sign Capewell from next season

Yeah I just want to see us land someone good, not just hasbeens like Hunt.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I just won't to see us land someone good, not just hasbeens like Hunt.

I doubt anything will be made official until May 1 at the earliest... even if we have agreed to terms with players (either ours or new recruits).

at least signing's for next year on

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I doubt anything will be made official until May 1 at the earliest... even if we have agreed to terms with players (either ours or new recruits)

Yeah I am honestly hoping this is the case too but concerned it isn't. Hopefully we'll know in about three weeks.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Walters said they're concentrating on retention first, not that they've shut the door to Capewell. As far as I can tell from the press he's very much still in the conversation. Sounds like Staggs is breaking their balls.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Walters said they're concentrating on retention first, not that they've shut the door to Capewell. As far as I can tell from the press he's very much still in the conversation. Sounds like Staggs is breaking their balls.

I think Reynolds is still in our sights too, just too much stuffing up in recent years to feel confident about this.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Well this is a great piece of news. Even though I've not seen him play, all the reports had him marked as a future gun in the back row. I know we here this about many of our young kids coming through and it never seems to eventuate, But Piakura sounds like the real deal.

I only hope the Broncs ensure they get the development right with Brendon as we desperately need a replacement for One-set Lexy. Does @1910 think he should be getting a run with us towards the back-end of the season?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Yeah I just want to see us land someone good, not just hasbeens like Hunt.
We haven't signed him in our top 30 it's a train and trial deal , sounds more like a leadership position and after rd 11 if we need him to play we can sign him.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Exciting Talent Piakura Commits Long-Term To Broncos​

Authorbroncos.com.au

Talented teenage backrower Brendan Piakura has committed to the Brisbane Broncos for a three-year contract to the end of the 2024 season.
The former Australian Schoolboys and Queensland Under 18s product is a product of Brisbane’s elite development program having been with the Broncos since his early teens.
In staying loyal to the Broncos, he joins a growing pack of high quality forwards committed to the club on multi-year deals including Payne Haas, Pat Carrigan, Tom Flegler, Ethan Bullemor and Jordan Riki, who only last month committed to the Broncos for a three-year contract of his own.

Piakura, who turns 19 next month, has been a standout during his junior development including a key role alongside Broncos teammates Xavier Coates, Tesi Niu and Josh James in a 34-12 smashing of NSW by Queensland Under 18s’ in 2019.

Size, speed and defensive aggression are all hallmarks of his game, and he will continue his development in 2021 as part of the Broncos’ NRL squad as well as playing for Broncos Affiliate Club, the Norths Devils.

Broncos Head Coach Kevin Walters said locking in Piakura on a long-term deal was a great result for the Club.

“He’s a very good young player who has been in our pathways system for many years,” said Walters.

“It’s great to see him sign a three-year contract to stay at the Club, and coming off the back of Jordan Riki’s contract news a few weeks back, it shows that the Broncos are heading in the right direction.”

From Broncos.com.au

Hopefully Staggs and Coates are next.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

It's not a bad recruitment strategy, outside backs aren't that hard to find. Only if they're among the very elite do you throw the bank at them. I would much rather us sign quality forwards as opposed to what Canterbury are doing, Cotric and Addo-Carr are obviously great players but they won't win you a game if your pack is being smashed.

Look what they've done at Penrith, they've constantly turned over their backs while re-signing their forwards, they let Mansour go to Souths and the 2 young wingers they got at the minute are as good as any going around

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Ironbroncos
  • Battler
  • davidp
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • Ondi
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Culhwch
  • FaceOfMutiny
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.