OFFICIAL Piakura signs for three more years

Brendan Piakura has snubbed the Titans and Bulldogs and signed a 3 year $1.2 million extension to his existing contract.

Corey Parker has worked with him in junior teams:

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding. In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season. I can see why the Bulldogs were going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality. Brendan has all the skills. Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita .. he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence. He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, it’s no surprise clubs were lining up to sign him.”

McHunt

whykickamoocow

whykickamoocow

QCup Player
Oct 3, 2013
Piakura is a four year deal, he's been upgraded from development to top 30 for 2021. So Pete's maths is off straight away.
Unusual for Slippery Pete to report something that's incorrect.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
That's not the Capewell figure, which is why it fell down in January when they spoke.

Yeah I thought it was more around 550k (which is pretty high but then look at what Flegler is on apparently) but perhaps his asking price has come down as there were no takers at 550.

Do you know if Flegler is on 600k a season as reported or is it as usual an overinflated figure but media guesses?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think Reynolds is still in our sights too, just too much stuffing up in recent years to feel confident about this.
I would rather they went for Munster, but he's not free until Nov 2022.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I would rather they went for Munster, but he's not free until Nov 2022.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that but he will either stay on two contracts in Melbourne or go to Brisbane the Lesser.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Unusual for Slippery Pete to report something that's incorrect.
Piakura is a four year deal, he's been upgraded from development to top 30 for 2021. So Pete's maths is off straight away.
Badel didn't report $400k a year. The figures doing the rounds are: $300,000 for 2022, $400,000 for 2023 and $500,000 for 2024.

This was reported almost a month ago, and not by Badel:

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I don't think anyone would disagree with that but he will either stay on two contracts in Melbourne or go to Brisbane the Lesser.
I can't see him slumming it at the Ipswich Inkjets when he can walk tall in Brisbane.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
Gees like others have said I’m starting to lose faith in Kevvie.
Why is he willing to pay overs for a rookie forward but not a rookie spine player?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Gees like others have said I’m starting to lose faith in Kevvie.
Why is he willing to pay overs for a rookie forward but not a rookie spine player?
Kevvie has input but he's not in charge of player retention. Darren Lockyer is where the buck stops on that, I believe. Correct me if I wrong.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Kevvie has input but he's not in charge of player retention. Darren Lockyer is where the buck stops on that, I believe. Correct me if I wrong.

actually it would be Peter Nolan. most of Locky's input would be around the "player x can play footy" or "player x is shit stay away"

Kevvie would have major input around the squad though ... we'll retain or chase the players he wants; we'll get rid of the players he doesn't etc

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Wasn't it mentioned by smokin Joe that Kevvie Wasn't willing to give walsh anymore , so that would mean Kevvie has are fair say.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
actually it would be Peter Nolan. most of Locky's input would be around the "player x can play footy" or "player x is shit stay away"
I know he's a big part of the "recruitment and retention committee" which includes the Coach and CEO, but I'm not sure whether it's a democratic, consensus or hierarchical process. I don't understand the full scope of Nolan's remit either.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Wasn't it mentioned by smokin Joe that Kevvie Wasn't willing to give walsh anymore , so that would mean Kevvie has are fair say.
If anyone knows how this process works chime in, but I'm pretty certain Kevvie doesn't have final say.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Nolan, Lockyer.. whoever it is, they should be fired

Lockyer one of the all time great players but doesn't mean he can get away with the shit recruitment we've had to deal with in the past few seasons

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If anyone knows how this process works chime in, but I'm pretty certain Kevvie doesn't have final say.

pretty sure he does (although contracts themselves are likely left to others) ... no club is going to give a player to the coach he doesn't want.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
pretty sure he does (although contracts themselves are likely left to others) ... no club is going to give a player to the coach he doesn't want.
So if Kevvie wants to pay Fifita 1.8 million a season, he gets to do it and the rest of the committee have to suck it?

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • HVbronco
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • mitch222
  • ivanhungryjak
  • thenry
  • barker
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Broncorob
  • phoenix
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.