OFFICIAL Piakura signs for three more years

Brendan Piakura has snubbed the Titans and Bulldogs and signed a 3 year $1.2 million extension to his existing contract.

Corey Parker has worked with him in junior teams:

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding. In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season. I can see why the Bulldogs were going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality. Brendan has all the skills. Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita .. he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence. He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, it’s no surprise clubs were lining up to sign him.”

McHunt

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
even Badel hasn't come up with a 750k figure for Staggs yet ... although he'll probably read your post and will see that figure in the CM shortly. The figures mentioned in the media seem to be either $2.4 million for 4 years (600k a season) or $2.8 million for 4 years (700k a season).

either way as i have mentioned several times on here, i haven't seen much from Staggs to suggest a move to 5/8 is a good idea. I'd keep him as a strike center. although giving him a shot at fullback wouldn't be the worst idea, the extra room could make him extremely dangerous at the back,
Where did you get the 650K figure for Smith from? I would be happy to pay him 650k to play in a spine position. Even though it might be a little overs we did just finish with the wooden spoon.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
No one really know for sure what Staggs will be getting but it’s going to be north of $700k that’s for sure.

I heard weeks ago it was a 4 year, $2.4 million deal for Staggs. The press reported 4 year, $2.8 million deal so i'd say between $600k-$700k is going to be about right for Kotoni. Personally, i'd offer him a 2 year deal. We need to knock these long term contracts on the head for now.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Where did you get the 650K figure for Smith from? I would be happy to pay him 650k to play in a spine position. Even though it might be a little overs we did just finish with the wooden spoon.

can't actually remember now ... seen the figure floating around in the media ... either way it is overs for Smith. we have our own version in Turpin (although Smith is a bit further along).

now if Smith wanted to take 500k and work in tandem with Turps, we would have a deal

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
can't actually remember now ... seen the figure floating around in the media ... either way it is overs for Smith. we have our own version in Turpin (although Smith is a bit further along).

now if Smith wanted to take 500k and work in tandem with Turps, we would have a deal
You can’t remember it’s because you made it up just to try to prove a point.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I know "quietly-spoken kid" is generally thought of as a positive trait, but in our team we need some confident out-going communicators.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
You can’t remember it’s because you made it up just to try to prove a point.

didn't make it up at all ... you could probably find several articles with that figure. i just can't be fucked looking.

hell you could probably find many posts on here where that figure has been discussed

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
didn't make it up at all ... you could probably find several articles with that figure. i just can't be fucked looking.

hell you could probably find many posts on here where that figure has been discussed
You got all the time in the world. Just admit it you made the figure up. Also to suggest we have our own Brandon Smith in Turps 😖

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
I'd be happy to pay that too given we are paying a bench prop who should be playing QCUP (Flegler) that sort of money.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
I think Locky and Thaiday are doing us a favour telling Brandon to go to the Titans. he isn't the hooker we need (at least, not unless he lowers his price tag a fair bit)

Brandon Smith isn't a 650k+ hooker
oh i agree trying to push up a price for a rival is fun and all....but let Thaiday do that...not Lockyer....

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Thoughts on the 750k we looking to pay Staggs to play 5/8th then?
I heard weeks ago it was a 4 year, $2.4 million deal for Staggs. The press reported 4 year, $2.8 million deal so i'd say between $600k-$700k is going to be about right for Kotoni. Personally, i'd offer him a 2 year deal. We need to knock these long term contracts on the head for now.
since the media have 700k as the high water mark, it is likely to be less than that.
Titans were rumoured to have offered him $750k:

Potentially $800k is mentioned here:

Broncos are still negotiating, and it's rumoured to include a positional change to 6. No one knows the dollar figure, but Badel is talking circa $700k for 3-4 year extension.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Titans were rumoured to have offered him $750k:

Potentially $800k is mentioned here:

Broncos are still negotiating, and it's rumoured to include a positional change to 6. No one knows the dollar figure, but Badel is talking circa $700k for 3-4 year extension.

Titans apparently pulled their offer a while ago. I dont reckon it was that high tbh. I reckon if he got an $800k offer he would go.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
So if Kevvie wants to pay Fifita 1.8 million a season, he gets to do it and the rest of the committee have to suck it?
It would be more like Nolan coming in and saying "I have negotiated a ripper deal and Fifi only wants $1.8m to stay in Brisbane... what do you think Kev?"

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
Are there any highlight packages of this kid? Generally with any young kid coming through you normally get overloaded with highlights and I can't say Ive seen any of piakura. Nor did I see any of riki

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Are there any highlight packages of this kid? Generally with any young kid coming through you normally get overloaded with highlights and I can't say Ive seen any of piakura. Nor did I see any of riki

Yeah there’s like a 20 minute one with Kemp reacting to it out there somewhere

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Kevvie has input but he's not in charge of player retention. Darren Lockyer is where the buck stops on that, I believe. Correct me if I wrong.
I think people are overplaying Lockyer's role in the recruitment and retention.

The way I think it probably works is probably along the lines of:

Nolan: "Staggs' manager wants $700k for 4yr"
Lockyer: "That seems a bit high for a center"
Kev: "All good I see Staggs as a 6 anyway"
Lockyer: "Is he really a 6 though Kev?"
Kev: "Milf is out the door and I can make Staggs a 6"
Lockyer: "He hasn't showed any ball playing or kicking game, and he's had limited experience at 6"
Kev: "He's a strong runner, and allows me to have a right side of Staggs, Niu, Coates... we just need a strong game managing 7 inside him"
Nolan: "Is that going to be Dearden or should we look at ARey?"

.... etc. etc. etc.

You can't just have the coach and the recruiter (Nolan) making all the decisions without some sort of independent voice to add some weight to the argument one way of the other.

I think the CEO being there is next to useless, unless they just want to be across the decisions being made, because they end up being the last signature on the contract

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • davidp
  • westy316
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ironbroncos
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mr Fourex
  • Ondi
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.