OFFICIAL Piakura signs for three more years

Brendan Piakura has snubbed the Titans and Bulldogs and signed a 3 year $1.2 million extension to his existing contract.

Corey Parker has worked with him in junior teams:

“I’ve watched Brendan for some time and he is outstanding. In my mind Piakura is physically ready for the NRL now and he would be the perfect replacement for Alex Glenn in the back row next season. I can see why the Bulldogs were going hard for him ... there’s no doubt for me that he is NRL quality. Brendan has all the skills. Piakura is a different style of back-rower to David Fifita .. he is a damaging ball-runner but I also like the fact he has mongrel in defence. He is a quietly-spoken sort of kid but he has a great attitude, it’s no surprise clubs were lining up to sign him.”

McHunt

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
actually it would be Peter Nolan. most of Locky's input would be around the "player x can play footy" or "player x is shit stay away"

Kevvie would have major input around the squad though ... we'll retain or chase the players he wants; we'll get rid of the players he doesn't etc

Definitely not. Nolan is one voice. Coach always gets the biggest say.

Tristan1990

Tristan1990

QCup Player
Sep 29, 2016
What are we basing this guy being the next big thing... I’ve never seen him play and just remember that Tom flegler is apparently the next Shane webcke hahah

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I know "quietly-spoken kid" is generally thought of as a positive trait, but in our team we need some confident out-going communicators.
Yup, someone owning our team would be nice... It’s been a while. Milf has, but he has been fucking terrible. Arguably we’ve had no-one do it since Hodges and even then, as much as I loved Hodgo as a player, was only a pale shadow of how we were with Lockyer in charge...

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I think people are overplaying Lockyer's role in the recruitment and retention.

The way I think it probably works is probably along the lines of:

Nolan: "Staggs' manager wants $700k for 4yr"
Lockyer: "That seems a bit high for a center"
Kev: "All good I see Staggs as a 6 anyway"
Lockyer: "Is he really a 6 though Kev?"
Kev: "Milf is out the door and I can make Staggs a 6"
Lockyer: "He hasn't showed any ball playing or kicking game, and he's had limited experience at 6"
Kev: "He's a strong runner, and allows me to have a right side of Staggs, Niu, Coates... we just need a strong game managing 7 inside him"
Nolan: "Is that going to be Dearden or should we look at ARey?"

.... etc. etc. etc.

You can't just have the coach and the recruiter (Nolan) making all the decisions without some sort of independent voice to add some weight to the argument one way of the other.

I think the CEO being there is next to useless, unless they just want to be across the decisions being made, because they end up being the last signature on the contract

I have said it before but minutes are kept, it’s an offical meeting. If you read them you’d be able to see who was for or against players.

I think the committee idea came out of the Storm debacle and that’s why you have a cross section of the club there so no one can say didn’t know.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I have said it before but minutes are kept, it’s an offical meeting. If you read them you’d be able to see who was for or against players.

I think the committee idea came out of the Storm debacle and that’s why you have a cross section of the club there so no one can say didn’t know.

How do we read them?

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
I am unsure how you could do that, I don't know how business minutes work but I would doubt it's just a pdf for anyone to enjoy.
You can ask for minutes if you're a shareholder but even then, they're almost certainly confidential and not something you're allowed to discuss publicly.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Ozired
  • Battler
  • johnny plath
  • broncos4life
  • Seibs
  • mrslong
  • winslow_wong
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.