Pick Kevvie's round one team with odds

Latest from the Hill. Corey Oates is training with the Renegades. Cobbo is on Corey's left wing and Pereira is on the right:

Ikin:

“‘Oatesy’ knows there is competition for spots and he is relishing it. Like a few other players on our list who are off-contract, we remain in negotiations with them. We are watching and looking. We remain in negotiations with him. Guys like Oatesy are keen to knuckle down and get the best out of themselves."

"Corey has had a good pre-season. He is a fascinating guy, he is high energy, he talks a lot, he is an entertaining person, but there are some things in his game he decided he wanted to get better at and he concluded on his own he would work hard on those things. I’m not the coach, but from all reports Corey is giving things a fair shake.”

“We know the Dolphins could be an option for Oatesy and our players, but there are 15 other clubs to think about,” he said. “Players are happy to move anywhere these days so the Dolphins aren’t the only club that are a threat to our off-contract players. I don’t worry about who the targets are. Everything that happens here is based on our plans.”

Oates:

“If you asked me a while ago I would have been pretty hesitant to keep playing because I wasn’t feeling great, but that’s because I was doing bugger all for myself. Now I feel good and doing the little things is a big difference. Looking after your body is a big thing for me. I’ve learnt a lot the last 12-16 months doing it. I feel good and think I can last a lot longer now. This year means a lot. This is my future this year. I’m off-contract and my performances will be everything.”

McHunt

Latest from the Hill. Corey Oates is training with the Renegades. Cobbo is on Corey's left wing and Pereira is on the right:

Ikin:

“‘Oatesy’ knows there is competition for spots and he is relishing it. Like a few other players on our list who are off-contract, we remain in negotiations with them. We are watching and looking. We remain in negotiations with him. Guys like Oatesy are keen to knuckle down and get the best out of themselves."

"Corey has had a good pre-season. He is a fascinating guy, he is high energy, he talks a lot, he is an entertaining person, but there are some things in his game he decided he wanted to get better at and he concluded on his own he would work hard on those things. I’m not the coach, but from all reports Corey is giving things a fair shake.”

“We know the Dolphins could be an option for Oatesy and our players, but there are 15 other clubs to think about,” he said. “Players are happy to move anywhere these days so the Dolphins aren’t the only club that are a threat to our off-contract players. I don’t worry about who the targets are. Everything that happens here is based on our plans.”

Oates:

“If you asked me a while ago I would have been pretty hesitant to keep playing because I wasn’t feeling great, but that’s because I was doing bugger all for myself. Now I feel good and doing the little things is a big difference. Looking after your body is a big thing for me. I’ve learnt a lot the last 12-16 months doing it. I feel good and think I can last a lot longer now. This year means a lot. This is my future this year. I’m off-contract and my performances will be everything.”

McHunt
I know big Oatsy had some serious infections in his bones around his hip region which would obviously hamper any winger, but reading between the lines it sounds like he was cruising and not really putting the hard yards in to give the club and the fans value for the top dollar he was on.

Sounds eerily like a touch of Milforditous to me. As much as i liked him before he started the shit about second row i think it is time we began to think of a serious plan B for his wing.

I know big Oatsy had some serious infections in his bones around his hip region which would obviously hamper any winger, but reading between the lines it sounds like he was cruising and not really putting the hard yards in to give the club and the fans value for the top dollar he was on.

Sounds eerily like a touch of Milforditous to me. As much as i liked him before he started the shit about second row i think it is time we began to think of a serious plan B for his wing.
Sounds like Oates is the Plan B for his wing

Ikin:

Oates:

McHunt
Code for I had guaranteed money so I was cruising, now that my career's at risk I'm going to put some effort in.

If I was recruiting he'd be on an Amber list, nothing over 250k and 12 months at a time.

Ikin:

Oates:

McHunt
I do prefer cobbo on the left as he has a left hand carry so he is able to fend with his right, but as much as I like herbie, I dont think he is a centre and if he hasn't learnt to draw and pass or pass early, cobbo may be wasted out there.

Herbie is in a trap a lot of our young outside backs are, they always try to beat their opposing player before passing it, when sometimes the best play is just to commit your defender and trust your outside man.

I would tempted to swap cobbo and herbie.

If in the future we ended up with a left hand side of ezra, cobbo and herbie, that is a fast left hand edge.

Oates has been really good for us for a long time but we've always known once he lost that speed he had as a younger player there would more than likely be better options.

I think his future is in the backrow but for whatever reason he hasn't ever successfully made that transition.

Ikin:

Oates:

McHunt

I doubt he can right what`s wrong with his game .
He can`t make himself any shorter and eye hand co ordination is pretty well set by his age .So collecting low grubber kicks are always going to give him problems . The other weakness turning and chasing attacking kicks along the ground by the opposition is gonna be hard to remedy as well .

Pereira was on the right wing when I walked past training during the week. He is an absolute brick and looks like he'd take a mean hit-up. Personally I just want someone out there that doesn't drop the ball.

I do prefer cobbo on the left as he has a left hand carry so he is able to fend with his right, but as much as I like herbie, I dont think he is a centre and if he hasn't learnt to draw and pass or pass early, cobbo may be wasted out there.

Herbie is in a trap a lot of our young outside backs are, they always try to beat their opposing player before passing it, when sometimes the best play is just to commit your defender and trust your outside man.

If in the future we ended up with a left hand side of ezra, cobbo and herbie, that is a fast left hand edge.
I think Herbie’s best position by a decent margin is left wing, he’s a decent left centre so if Oates is picked it makes sense to have him there but if Oates is getting the chop I think Herbie should be a no brainer at left wing. Having Herbie and Cobbo on the same edge is a concern defensively but Cobbo played centre next to the defensively abysmal Coates and did himself proud so I think it’s worth a shot.

Pereira was on the right wing when I walked past training during the week. He is an absolute brick and looks like he'd take a mean hit-up. Personally I just want someone out there that doesn't drop the ball.
Then he probably isn’t your man. He has bricks for hands too, very similar player to Oates but 1/3 the price and a better attitude.

I dont think Oatesy was cruising. He wasnt looking after himself physically or mentally. Seemed to have lost his way, lost his confidence and playing in a really poor team didnt help him either. I think he has realised he has to put himself first and be a bit selfish to a certain degree because if he isnt looking after himself it has a knock on effect with everything else.

This is a difficult one, but if the choice is between Oates and Cobbo at the moment, you have to go with Cobbo. He already seems to have more upside than Oates did at his age, and is more suited to the position in the modern game. An opportunity at 2nd row is also slipping away so, Corey really isn't in a comfortable position at the moment.

It's entirely possible that he has too much of the White era complacency stuck to him, but I dearly hope he fights back to prove me wrong because I do love him as a player, and definitely has leadership potential if he can get his own house in order.

Very fast Herbie and Cobbo are in NRL top 10 and Mam apparently just won the 40 metre dash at our club.

Oates has been really good for us for a long time but we've always known once he lost that speed he had as a younger player there would more than likely be better options.

I think his future is in the backrow but for whatever reason he hasn't ever successfully made that transition.
His future isn’t as a back rower. I hate to say it but I think he should milk his last bit of relevancy and get a media deal in radio or something, not going to be playing at to many clubs if he can’t get into our backline without really having a standout winger (Cobbo is great but he isn’t a proven winger). His moves to second row have been horrible and most clubs either have great current second rowers or Future second rowers that he would just get in the road. Oates is regressing very quickly

Steve Renouf:

“One player I think will have a big year, and who is only new into the team … is Selwyn Cobbo. This kid can play and he’s shown what he can do. He finished the season off well for them and then went on to play in the Queensland Cup grand final. He’s going to definitely be a player on the rise.”

“This is his first full NRL pre-season and he’s a good player, a good kid. Depending on how the trials go, he’ll go close to starting in that first game. If it’s not at fullback, it’ll be on the wing or in the centres. He played on the wing last year and he will play wherever you put him. I like him at centre but he’s a player where fullback will suit him. The more you can get the ball in his hands, the better.”

“The boys are upbeat, looking forward to the season. The big thing around the club now is to forget about what happened in the past two years. Let’s just move on with what we’ve got. We finished last year on a positive note and they build from that.”

McHunt

I've got a bit of a left field idea, but what do you guys think of Kobe Hetherington playing in the second row as a starter? From all reports it seems like Carrigan will wear the thirteen and as we all know Carrigan is simply just a hit up merchant that makes his tackles, that's it!

With Hetherington in the second row it will strengthen our defence immensely with Capewell on the other side of the field. He also can run a good line and throw insane cut out balls to our wingers.

I've got a bit of a left field idea, but what do you guys think of Kobe Hetherington playing in the second row as a starter? From all reports it seems like Carrigan will wear the thirteen and as we all know Carrigan is simply just a hit up merchant that makes his tackles, that's it!

With Hetherington in the second row it will strengthen our defence immensely with Capewell on the other side of the field. He also can run a good line and throw insane cut out balls to our wingers.
And what do you do with Riki Robati & Pikaura?

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Manofoneway
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Swordfish
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  • RolledOates
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • theshed
  • Lazza
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.