Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Villanova, Cooperoo.

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
What is this? The Big Pete dating service? [icon_lol1.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
No, just curious because I was an Easts boy as well and wondered what school he went to.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The crowd wants what the crowd wants, Meatty. [icon_razz1

I only had one season with Easts back in 06, did my knee and it was too difficult judging school, Union and League so dropped it after three games.

Was disappointing too, coaches and boys were great, just felt like I was letting them all down playing injured.

M

m1c

NRL Player
Mar 16, 2008
Straight from the horses mouth re Carlaw.. It's no secret that the club has, at times, been unimpressed with many of the younger guy's attitudes towards their football. To put it gently, the off season break has been more hinderance than help regarding this problem and it's arrived at the point where the coaching staff are seriously concerned. Well, concerned enough to go head hunting a former player to provide Locky with another standard setting lieutenant.

Despite his mixed performances on field, Carlaw has always impressed many with his attitude on and off the training paddock. This is no surprise given he developed in a Broncos system where stalwarts such as Gee, Webcke, Petero, Campion, Tallis and Thorn set the culture.

The lure of moving back home and finishing his career where it started, possibly reaching 200 games for the club and a job after footy was too good for Dane to refuse.

Don't be surprised to see Ivan selecting him in the 17 purely on the back of his strong work ethic on the training paddock. It will be the right move if the young guys even take a small lesson from it IMO

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Thats all well and good until Ivan puts him in the centre's

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
m1c said:
Don't be surprised to see Ivan selecting him in the 17 purely on the back of his strong work ethic on the training paddock. It will be the right move if the young guys even take a small lesson from it IMO

Pfft, from what I know of the current crop of young guys most of them will take no notice and it won't improve their work ethic 1 iota - they will just use his selection (if it happens) as another reason to bitch and moan about an old guy taking their spot.

J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Flutterby said:
m1c said:

Pfft, from what I know of the current crop of young guys most of them will take no notice and it won't improve their work ethic 1 iota - they will just use his selection (if it happens) as another reason to bitch and moan about an old guy taking their spot.

+1.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
As much as we all love Berro, where exactly would he fit in?

At least with a guy like Carlaw it gives us an experienced forward who can pass on what Webby, Civo and Thorn taught him.

With Berro, you basically have an older version of Alex Glenn with a s**t load of injuries.

He was never that great in any position than hooker, and if he was to sign, he'd only get in the way of Macca, Hunt and Baptiste.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah I'm with Big Pete on this one, as much as I'm a huge fan of Shaun Berrigan his age, injury concerns over recent seasons and form in the Superleague competition don't present a strong case for a return here when we have suitable options available in the position he would be likely playing (hooker or utility off the bench).

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Sounds like the Eels should sign him.

P

PETERN

QCup Player
Nov 2, 2009
If they wanted to waste cap space on Carlaw, if the money is there, i do not see how a 1 year contract could be that bad..we need all the experience we can get, plus he can cover a whole heap of positions..Great defender, can score a try, why not centre (didnt he score like 18 tries or so at centre one season?)

Wouldn't bother me considering we have cap space for the year, and need all the depth we can get in such a long and demanding season.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
PETERN said:
If they wanted to waste cap space on Carlaw, if the money is there, i do not see how a 1 year contract could be that bad..we need all the experience we can get, plus he can cover a whole heap of positions..Great defender, can score a try, why not centre (didnt he score like 18 tries or so at centre one season?)

Wouldn't bother me considering we have cap space for the year, and need all the depth we can get in such a long and demanding season.

Sounds good in theory if you were talking about the Berrigan prior to going to the Superleague but your not(his age, injury concerns and poor/average form don't give a valid reason to do so) and Carlaw is playing for absolute peanuts I'm not so convinced Berrigan would do the same when there have been other clubs showing interest in him, originally Carlaw was only coming back to play in the Queensland cup and going to work as well, the Broncos have offered him an opportunity to possibly play first grade but no certainities and he took it as a bonus. Berrigan on the otherhand wants to play NRL and probably wants to play longer then one season, his not going to play for us for peanuts if he can play elsewhere for more and with more opportunity of playing first grade. I don't see the point in recruiting him when there are more then enough options availabe to play both in the centres and at hooker who we should be looking to develop longterm not hindering their development.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
GCBRONCO said:
I don't see the point in recruiting him when there are more then enough options availabe to play both in the centres and at hooker who we should be looking to develop longterm not hindering their development.

^ this. One of our problems at the moment is a lot of young inexperienced guys in the team - bringing back old guys does nothing to help get them the experience and development they need. I am not at all convinced any potential short-term success from bringing these old guys back is worth the long term hit we would continue to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • pennywisealfie
  • Pablo
  • Broncorob
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.