Player Movements and Rumours 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rock said:
Is he worth the risk though? He is do some SERIOUS damage to the clubs reputation and morale in the team. We don't want off-the-rail drunks. Look at how unsettled the Roosters are this year. They've had a pretty much a full strength team all year and they can barely win a game. I know Carney has been missing, but they've played shit when he's been there too.

Does anyone think it's coincidental that the Chooks have done so poorly this year and Carney has started to lose it again?
yes hes worth the risk. the roosters took the risk last year and he got them to the grand final. this year hes played 4 games, and in those 4 games he has made 4 line breaks and scored 3 tries.

the roosters have many problems this year. Anasta has been absolutely useless, Pearce has had some periods of brilliance, but even more periods of Wallace like play. Myles has been atrocious this year apart from 2 games. Waerea-Hargreaves has completely gone missing.

to blame it all on Carney is a bit rich.

i see no reason why we shouldnt sign him for a cheap 1 year deal, with the option of more money each year for a further 2-3 years if he keeps his $hit together. could be the buy of the decade.

If you read the last few responses, nobody's blaming it ALL on Carney, but his form is certainly way down and it's almost certainly linked to his drinking.

The Roosters pack is a massive let down. They're big, they're tough, they should be one of the most intimidating packs in the comp. And yet they're soft as marshmallow.

I'd love to get Carney.
Cheap one year contract for 50-100k he would be the best buy in the game and as someone else has said if he turns it around we could possibly keep him long term. He's probably the best young 5/8 in the game so it would be a great on field buy if he can keep his shit together off the field.

Too much baggage. He can go to the Titans, he'll fit right in.

Fozz said:

Yep. He can go out drinking with Bird and get him ready to glass another girlfriend.

Coxy said:
Fozz said:

Yep. He can go out drinking with Bird and get him ready to glass another girlfriend.

You mean stop her from glassing herself.

Carney and Bird, the self-harm prevention super friends!

Anonymous person said:
i see no reason why we shouldnt sign him for a cheap 1 year deal, with the option of more money each year for a further 2-3 years if he keeps his $hit together. could be the buy of the decade.

Because he won't come cheap. Despite his problems, there will be clubs (NRL & Rugby) who will be willing to pay top dollar for him

Why the **** would we want him?

Nashy said:
Why the **** would we want him?

Because he's a very good rugby league player. What he does off the field is no concern of us, we should only care what he's like as a player. He's not a role model.

/AP

The Rock said:
Dude, Carney has made 4 line breaks and 3 tries but his form has been TERRIBLE. Don't look at stats, just because he made 4 line breaks it doesn't mean he's done any good. Overall he's been average and WAY under the form he showed last year.

Also like Coxy said, we're not BLAMING it on him. The hype around him and all the shit about Carney might be a distraction for the team and it DOES lower morale in teams when you have incidents like that. It happens. But it's up to the team to shake it off and get on with the job.
hes still made 3 more line breaks than Lockyer and Wallace combined, and scored 3 more tries than Lockyer and Wallace combined.

yes, obviously he has been well below his form from last year. but the rest of his team have been WORSE than he has, so i dont really think that his drinking would be affecting them more than its affecting him. who knows what their problem is, but i dont think it has much to do with Carney.

and he would come a LOT cheaper than he would if he didnt get sacked from 2 successive teams for drinking problems. the broncos are one of the very few teams that are able to spend big anyway, so we'd be in the drivers seat when it came down to it.

and coxy/nashy, thats 100% correct. dont care if hes a drunk if he can play like he did last year. dally m winner, remember? to say you wouldnt want him at your club because he gets on it is silly IMO. he doesnt win football matches by being a nice upstanding bloke. he wins football matches by what he does on the field.

Try to stay on topic, guys.

The Rock said:
And? Lockyer and Wallace have both performed better than Carney this year. You're trying to justify the risk by saying he has played 4 games this year and made 4 breaks and 3 tries - That tells us nothing. Forgot the stats, he's been average all year. So why would we risk paying for a guy like this who could easily come to the club and perform as bad as he's doing at the Roosters at the moment? You seem to think it's an absolute given that if we sign him, he'll perform well.
saying wallace has performed better is a bit rich. wallace has done next to nothing above average this season.

carney hasnt done much either, but i know who id much rather have in my team when we're missing a certain D. Lockyer.

Never ceases to amaze me how you completely discount what negative impact a player's lifestyle might make on the rest of the team. Do you reckon the guys that do bust a gut at training, lead a healthy lifestyle and don't leave a stone unturned in their preparation don't feel any resentment when they see a guy like Carney trashed half the time?

I'd certainly have a problem with it.

Yep, apparently Carney told his mates he'd be going to his mum's house.

It could be a big reason why the Chooks aren't going so well this year, something's obviously smelly down there at Bondi and this would be a pretty big factor.

what if we signed him on the condition that he hosted a meeting every week or two with the younger players, he could tell them where he went wrong and what it has cost him personally and financially.

would have to be overseen by someone from coaching or management.

kluppy said:
what if we signed him on the condition that he hosted a meeting every week or two with the younger players, he could tell them where he went wrong and what it has cost him personally and financially.

And then they'd see he's still got a job after all his idiocy and think "If he can get away with it, then so can we?".

Fozz said:
And then they'd see he's still got a job after all his idiocy and think "If he can get away with it, then so can we?".
I'm afraid that boat has sailed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Bish
  • Fatboy
  • Sproj
  • Strop
  • marw
  • Gaz
  • lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • Spoon
  • Manofoneway
  • Lazza
  • levikaden
  • Fozz
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.