THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who would you like to see the Broncs target in terms of players for squad purposes and/or key deficiency areas?
A thousand and one times, Tyson Smoothy.

I don't think they have to be too involved in the market. I like the signing of Reece Walsh especially on his reported value. I'd just like to see them take advantage of opportunities like that to help bolster the squad and of course have the cash ready to sign Reynolds' replacement.

At this stage you'd be trying to mend fences with the Walker and even half-way considering a Panthers type Ivan coup involving Ben just to make it happen. I'm not going all in on Sam just yet, but halfback is the priority.

Otherwise it's just about getting a few old heads who do the 1%ers or aren't afraid to get their hands dirty ala Adam Blair.

We can all agree the two biggest problem areas are dummy half and edge backrow. I'd still like to see Paix, Robati and Piakura receive a proper opportunity before going to market. I was disappointed with Robati at the start of the year but when he got a start and had a clear role I thought he was among the Broncos best. Piakura is still raw but he's starting to put it together in QCup and he needs to be considered for the bench.

I'm not giving up on Riki either. I just think he's been poorly managed and he's pretty much expected to be the 27 year version of Matt Gillett when he's 22 and still developing his game. I don't think he should have been playing 80 every week and he should have been protected better.

Melbourne 3rd string hooker, correct?

don't know too much about him.
4th string, I believe - Wishart may have gone ahead of him.

He actually started his career at the Broncos as well and played alongside Carrigan, Haas, Flegler, Staggs, Kobe and Herbie in 20s.

I just like how he's kept plugging away in QCup improving his game despite being looked over. He's one of the first players I'd be offering a train and trial too.

I'm disappointed in how this season has gone at the end, but I still wouldn't sack Kev, to sack someone means you have a plan for the replacement, I don't see an improvement on what is out there atm, maybe outside Brad Arthurs but I think that is a 50/50 on it even being worth it because I have no doubt that would require him to change the team around which would likely require another season of pain.

Still worth keeping Kev and make a decision next season, this is still an improvement whether you like it or not on last season, I can't put someone in a sackable situation if the following season is better then the previous.

A thousand and one times, Tyson Smoothy.

I don't think they have to be too involved in the market. I like the signing of Reece Walsh especially on his reported value. I'd just like to see them take advantage of opportunities like that to help bolster the squad and of course have the cash ready to sign Reynolds' replacement.

At this stage you'd be trying to mend fences with the Walker and even half-way considering a Panthers type Ivan coup involving Ben just to make it happen. I'm not going all in on Sam just yet, but halfback is the priority.

Otherwise it's just about getting a few old heads who do the 1%ers or aren't afraid to get their hands dirty ala Adam Blair.

We can all agree the two biggest problem areas are dummy half and edge backrow. I'd still like to see Paix, Robati and Piakura receive a proper opportunity before going to market. I was disappointed with Robati at the start of the year but when he got a start and had a clear role I thought he was among the Broncos best. Piakura is still raw but he's starting to put it together in QCup and he needs to be considered for the bench.

I'm not giving up on Riki either. I just think he's been poorly managed and he's pretty much expected to be the 27 year version of Matt Gillett when he's 22 and still developing his game. I don't think he should have been playing 80 every week and he should have been protected better.

Smoothy is right in that sweet spot now of having played four years of ISC, and come up from Colts. He's not getting a run at the Storm but can do a job for an NRL club. I've always been keen on him just because of his work ethic and he's the type of robust hooker I like.

Jai is going alright too- injured at the moment but playing his third year of Colts for Falcons- you could get a Smoothy deal a young half and hooker.

What’s this fascination with finishing in the 8 even if you are not a premiership threat? For well over a decade we were a side good enough to make the 8, but then come up against Melbourne who would always not only beat us, but give us a hiding in the finals & most recently the Cowboys.

We would settle on making the 8 and then run it back the following year. I get making the 8 is a ‘pass’ mark, but it doesn’t bring about change. I’m willing to give Kev at least the start of next year, this team has learned a lot this season and hopefully Kev has too. If we don’t come back with a harder, ruthless win at all costs attitude next season then fair enough get rid of him. But getting rid of him now just means starting from square 1 again.

What’s this fascination with finishing in the 8 even if you are not a premiership threat? For well over a decade we were a side good enough to make the 8, but then come up against Melbourne who would always not only beat us, but give us a hiding in the finals & most recently the Cowboys.

We would settle on making the 8 and then run it back the following year. I get making the 8 is a ‘pass’ mark, but it doesn’t bring about change. I’m willing to give Kev at least the start of next year, this team has learned a lot this season and hopefully Kev has too. If we don’t come back with a harder, ruthless win at all costs attitude next season then fair enough get rid of him. But getting rid of him now just means starting from square 1 again.

That’s the other thing, we’re not just developing players we’re also developing a coach and I see Hannay being mentioned, he would be no more advanced a coach than Kevvie is.

Kevvie gets the Broncos, that’s his major appeal to the club. He knows the culture, the standards of the club, the pressure associated with the club, etc.

I got no doubt he will look back over the season and concede he made some bad decisions with team selections and the like, that’s what learning and development is all about. See how he goes next year.

We improved against some lower ranked sides. But still haven’t really made any progress against our bogey sides. Was hoping to see improvements against the cowboys, eels and storm but once again we have been thrashed by those teams and even against the tigers, we didn’t look improved.

we did have our best wins in a long time this season though and Kevvie needs to find a way to maintain that level

What’s this fascination with finishing in the 8 even if you are not a premiership threat?
There was some prestige in us making it every year. 2010 was a huge shock not being there.

Couldn't give a rats arse now unless there's actually a chance to knock someone off.

There was some prestige in us making it every year. 2010 was a huge shock not being there.

Couldn't give a rats arse now unless there's actually a chance to knock someone off.
We spent a decade or more being good enough to make the 8 and then we'd get flogged by Melbourne and we'd say, "Oh well, we made the finals we're doing everything right." That's when I think the mediocrity set in, we were happy to be a finals team, not a premiership winning team. I hope if anything, these years of failing turn into ruthlessness, where winning the premiership is the only goal. Not just making the 8.

We spent a decade or more being good enough to make the 8 and then we'd get flogged by Melbourne and we'd say, "Oh well, we made the finals we're doing everything right." That's when I think the mediocrity set in, we were happy to be a finals team, not a premiership winning team. I hope if anything, these years of failing turn into ruthlessness, where winning the premiership is the only goal. Not just making the 8.
if that was the case why did Hook and Wayne both get sacked?

Hook was nowhere near a premiership and despite Wayne bringing back winning ways, we couldn't get past the Cowboys (GF 2015, Wk2 2016), Melbourne (Wk 3 - 30-0! 2017), Dragons (Wk 1 48-14 2018) in the finals. A change was needed, we just made the wrong change.
So in other words, we didn’t say “oh well we made the finals, we did everything right”?

I think Hook's only remotely successful year was with Lockyer, I wonder how many gigs he would've got after that if it weren't for Lockyer
Dragons fans hate him about as much as we did towards the end.

Signing Woods & Mbye will do that.

So in other words, we didn’t say “oh well we made the finals, we did everything right”?
Maybe I wasn't clear, not recently, but there was a period between 2010-2018 where we were content on being finalists.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • RolledOates
  • BruiserMk1
  • Lozza
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Elcapitano20
  • Pablo
  • Stix
  • Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.