THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I noticed that likes of Gamble, Paix, Willison, Piakura, Kelly & other Broncos affiliated HostPlus club members are pulled out from playing this weekend. Wonder why though?

Perhaps @1910 or someone close might share some thoughts here.
I wouldn't read anything into it.

The Broncos QRL affiliates rarely announce any Broncos contracted players on Team List Tuesday.

I envy Melbourne’s ability to find their front, elbow and grab their way to a quick play the ball off the mark which leaves the defenders either on the ground or not square at marker. They take the markers out of the defensive line and just keep rolling up the field. In usual Melbourne style it may not be in the spirit of the game but it’s extremely effective and it’s the refs job to stop them - if they aren’t being pulled up on it then it isn’t against the rules.
Brisbane used to have one of the best exponents of it in Hodges. However their work around the ruck has been so pedestrian lately that teams have easily been able to get numbers into tackles and limit any of those Brandon Smith type runs you see.

Mind you, the closest thing the Broncos have to Smith is Kobe and he doesn't have the same low centre of gravity that makes him so effective.

No, not from Team List Tuesday but from QRL website. You referring to the same?
Yeah mate, the QRL website also announces the team list of every club on Tuesdays as well. Usually they vary greatly from the team that's announced an hour ahead of kick-off.

Keep an eye on the Devils vs. Blackhawks Match Centre around 4:00pm. I'd imagine it'll look very different from what's there now.

I honestly don't know why they bother with it anymore. It made sense when Big League was in print and they had to give the publication some idea what teams were going to look like but now they don't even have that excuse.

I noticed that likes of Gamble, Paix, Willison, Piakura, Kelly & other Broncos affiliated HostPlus club members are pulled out from playing this weekend. Wonder why though?

Perhaps @1910 or someone close might share some thoughts here.

Kev wants them all in the room when he gives the I`m not angry , just very disappointed speech .

Kev wants them all in the room when he gives the I`m not angry , just very disappointed speech .
I thought he “went off” on Thursday night and then put the games result in the “bin” and moved on. He didn’t?
He better not churn up another of his motivational speech coz, that would suck even more.

I thought he “went off” on Thursday night and then put the games result in the “bin” and moved on. He didn’t? View attachment 19683 He better not churn up another of his motivational speech coz, that would suck even more.

Already shouted .
That addressed the masculine factor .
Now time to appeal to their feminine side . LOL

I think the only acceptable outcome is that Kev is sacked. His poor coaching/ team selections have lead us from 4th place now into missing the finals ( from an almost unmissable position) the media/ ex players sung his Praise until he was appointed coach and yet he seems to get a free ride unlike Seibold who was almost daily criticised. Now it seems that finishing 9th is acceptable and that we are ‘on track” in our rebuild is the line that’s coming out. Honestly I would have taken 9th at the start of the season after how awful 2020/2021 was but from being in 4th to where we are now is just a failure. I’m not sure who the right coach is to take over but this Kev/ cartright/ matterson combo just isn’t working, we still have no line speed and it’s been 2 years. The fact that billy Walters is picked every week is almost laughable he just isn’t up to first grade standard, if he wasn’t Kev’s son he wouldn’t be in the team, that’s a fact. Tyson gamble should have been in the 17 every week. Yes he has some deficiencies in his game but his positives and effect on the team far outweigh them, his energy and mongrel is something we need. If the DD/ ikin combo is legit then I hope we see some change or are we going to be content with accepting failure?

Sure, let's sack Kev - and replace him with.......?

A coach that's been sacked from another club? Or an unproven rookie?
Oh let's bring in Billy Slater, because he's definitely not tied up with Melbourne to be Bellamys replacement. He's also completely unproven in the NRL. Being a great player, tactical genius and winning an origin series as coach is a completely different thing to the week in week out rigours of NRL coaching.

Walters is going to see out his contract, it's just a matter of what happens between now and the first 18 or so rounds next season. If there is any silver lining, Brisbane will already be exploring alternative options and should be better prepared to make alternative arrangements if the club fails to improve on this season.

This is playing out exactly like fans said it would. Hardly anybody expected any real success from Walters, but they did expect him to dig the club out of it's hole which he's largely done by fixing the balance of the roster and getting them out of the bottom four. However it was always going to end in tears and that's exactly as it happened. 113 points in two weeks is disasterous and I really struggle to see any dramatic improvement moving forward.

Walters is going to see out his contract, it's just a matter of what happens between now and the first 18 or so rounds next season. If there is any silver lining, Brisbane will already be exploring alternative options and should be better prepared to make alternative arrangements if the club fails to improve on this season.

This is playing out exactly like fans said it would. Hardly anybody expected any real success from Walters, but they did expect him to dig the club out of it's hole which he's largely done by fixing the balance of the roster and getting them out of the bottom four. However it was always going to end in tears and that's exactly as it happened. 113 points in two weeks is disasterous and I really struggle to see any dramatic improvement moving forward.

Who would you like to see the Broncs target in terms of players for squad purposes and/or key deficiency areas?

I think the only acceptable outcome is that Kev is sacked. His poor coaching/ team selections have lead us from 4th place now into missing the finals ( from an almost unmissable position) the media/ ex players sung his Praise until he was appointed coach and yet he seems to get a free ride unlike Seibold who was almost daily criticised. Now it seems that finishing 9th is acceptable and that we are ‘on track” in our rebuild is the line that’s coming out. Honestly I would have taken 9th at the start of the season after how awful 2020/2021 was but from being in 4th to where we are now is just a failure. I’m not sure who the right coach is to take over but this Kev/ cartright/ matterson combo just isn’t working, we still have no line speed and it’s been 2 years. The fact that billy Walters is picked every week is almost laughable he just isn’t up to first grade standard, if he wasn’t Kev’s son he wouldn’t be in the team, that’s a fact. Tyson gamble should have been in the 17 every week. Yes he has some deficiencies in his game but his positives and effect on the team far outweigh them, his energy and mongrel is something we need. If the DD/ ikin combo is legit then I hope we see some change or are we going to be content with accepting failure?
Wrong. Kev will be there next year and so he should be. If by round 10 they are rubbish he will be likely gone. They aren't going to sack him because who do they replace him with? Another rookie coach? The facts are we got twice as many wins this year than we did the year before and kev had something to do with it. I think this season is a pass. Double the wins from last year, good footy in patches. Alot to build on for next year.

Before a ball was kicked at the beginning of the year, the club made it very clear that anything short of a top 8 finish was a fail.
About 6 weeks ago kev was telling us that the Broncos were about not only top 4 finishes but premierships.
We were in the top 4, and since then we have been in free fall.
We will finish 9th and it’s just not good enough.
We haven’t made the finals since 2019.
As head coach Kev has to take responsibility for the wins and losses and I cannot recall a greater slide down the ladder then the 2022 Broncos.
Beyond disappointing.
I do however like that we will miss the 8 all together rather then get pumped in the first week. Hopefully it inspires change.
Expect the Dragons to put 40 on us next week.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • jarro65
  • Robboi_321
  • Tmac
  • Lurker
  • phoenix
  • Gaz
  • Hurrijo
  • leon.bott
  • scobie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.