THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
With this season as good as fucked, Kevvie's record is careering towards 1 top 8 from 4 starts. That should be enough to get you sacked as a Broncos coach. But obviously, he won't be. And having his two assistants leave will conveniently put the broom through the coaching staff enough to satisfy any calls for his replacement.

There will be calls for his head, but in my opinion he's 100% safe.

I hope the club has at least one former first grade head coach earmarked as incoming assistant. Kevvie, himself, only needs to be the PR guy, if his assistants can do the hard yards. It will be interesting to see what announcements will be made in the next few weeks.

Think the only rookie nrl coach I'd go after would be slater or ryles other than that I'd rather decent nrl experience for our particular players and club

WTF has Billy done as an NRL coach ?
He coaches 3 games a year . Gets to pick who plays for him . And cracks the shits when his team gets flogged .
How long do you think he would last if his team were on a losing streak ? The media would have a field day with his prickly responses .
And if he loses this series will he even come back for more ?

He coaches 3 games a year . Gets to pick who plays for him . And cracks the shits when his team gets flogged .
How long do you think he would last if his team were on a losing streak ? The media would have a field day with his prickly responses .
I doubt we'd get Billy, but it's clear he's an astute student of the game. He'd make a brilliant assistant coach.

As for what he's done as an NRL coach, what had Kevvie done? He took the Catalan Dragons from a semi final to the wooden spoon in his two year tenure as head coach there.

Sacking Kevvie would be a disastrous PR exercise for the club not to mention the old boys kicking up a stink. We have had a shit time with injuries I know, but we should be doing better. We blew 2 points to Storm and another 2 v Titans and that's disastrous as it stands now. Personally I think we are no chance of the 8, and with at least 2 coaches going at the end of the season its an ideal time to change things but with keeping Kevvie on in some capacity. We need rock solid assistants who Kevvie doesn't choose and who would have a lot of say in tactics and team selection. We need a hard nosed person like Maguire not sure he would work under Kevvie though.

Some ridiculous comments in this thread. If we are looking poor again in 12 months, let's re-visit it but right now, this is just stupidity.

The guy repaired a very broken club when he arrived and that took time. He then took us to a Grand Final LAST YEAR. That's right - LAST YEAR. And said Grand Final, we all but won if not for one of the greatest players of all time (he will be) playing out of his skin to bring the best team of the era back and steal it.

It isn't even like there are no reasons the team is going so poorly this year. I feel like we've gone over this ad nauseum. The massive injury toll, disrupted preseason and origin are causing so many problems right now that it is understandable we are struggling.

Of course with the above factors we lost to NZ in NZ with half our team out and then lost in an extremely good showing to said greatest team of this era with several players out and several extremely underdone due to injuries, etc AND losing our reserve halfback halfway through the game.

We will also lose next week because, you guessed it, origin compounds our already mammoth injury toll. The fact we are still in contention speaks FOR Walters' coaching, not against it.

This is ridiculous, get behind the bloke and give him a chance to show what he can do when the luck inevitably turns and stoopid origin is finally in the rear view mirror.

Last time I saw Herbert play he a got a bath .
Got out paced on the outside that led to a try , dropped a bomb and generally looked off the pace .
Could be right. We definitely miss his metres and work rate, especially out of our own end. Cobbo doesn’t really do that as effectively. Mariner, Staggs, Walsh, and to a lesser extent Arthars are all fairly impotent when it comes to those tough sets inside our 20. That was Herbie’s bread and butter.

I touched on it somewhat above but Cobbo is the more gifted player. I think Herbie balances our side better though. That being said, I’m more disappointed we kept Staggs over him but given where they both were at that time I understand it.

nothing as a nrl coach but as i said he and ryles are the only rookie nrl coaches id chase,personal opinion though i think slater is one of the better football analysis going round and i would be shocked if he hasnt done some work for the storm with there backs in the past.

Some ridiculous comments in this thread. If we are looking poor again in 12 months, let's re-visit it but right now, this is just stupidity.

The guy repaired a very broken club when he arrived and that took time. He then took us to a Grand Final LAST YEAR. That's right - LAST YEAR. And said Grand Final, we all but won if not for one of the greatest players of all time (he will be) playing out of his skin to bring the best team of the era back and steal it.

It isn't even like there are no reasons the team is going so poorly this year. I feel like we've gone over this ad nauseum. The massive injury toll, disrupted preseason and origin are causing so many problems right now that it is understandable we are struggling.

Of course with the above factors we lost to NZ in NZ with half our team out and then lost in an extremely good showing to said greatest team of this era with several players out and several extremely underdone due to injuries, etc AND losing our reserve halfback halfway through the game.

We will also lose next week because, you guessed it, origin compounds our already mammoth injury toll. The fact we are still in contention speaks FOR Walters' coaching, not against it.

This is ridiculous, get behind the bloke and give him a chance to show what he can do when the luck inevitably turns and stoopid origin is finally in the rear view mirror.

I dont think its just as simple though as leaving it 12 months and look again. Its all going to be about how we finish the season out and how we look as a team. As long as we are reasonably competitive and play pretty much like we did last night. i dont see the need to make any changes. If we dont, i think its inevitable the pressure will be on him. Injuries really havent help get any consistency, but we should still be making the 8.

Exactly right. You can't reason with children who are having a tantrum. Last night was a decent performance from the guys and we look to have learned that things in the NRL don't come easy. We will be better for it for the rest of the year.

Nobody remembers the grand final, all they can see is our position on the ladder and the easiest person to blame is the coach. Sacking kevie just sets us back even further in my opinion and would he a completely dumb move for the club. Outside of this forum and the other retards on Facebook kevy is widely popular and brings alot to the Broncos. Let's not forget he coached us to our first GF in 8 years.

I dont think its just as simple though as leaving it 12 months and look again. Its all going to be about how we finish the season out and how we look as a team. As long as we are reasonably competitive and play pretty much like we did last night. i dont see the need to make any changes. If we dont, i think its inevitable the pressure will be on him. Injuries really havent help get any consistency, but we should still be making the 8.
It's easy to say that we have the team to make the 8 but every single week we have a widely different outfit fronting up to play. We won't get any consistency to build momentum off last night's performance either, this week at training the 1, 7, 13, 10 and 4 will all be different replaced with lads who have probsbly never played together before. We can expect another drubbing against the dragons who will have a largely unchanged team losing just Ben hunt. (Sua will be replaced with fifita for origin 3).

This has been the story of our season. Each week we have several different players out, new players coming in and no time to build combinations. That combined with a short preseason after our whole team played rep footy and an exhibition in the US. The buck stops with Kevy but he has several mitigating factors this season that I don't think even the likes of Bellamy, cleary or bennet would be able to cope with either.

Just ask Para and/or Brad Arthur. Going from a the GF to not making the 8 next year is pathetic. zero excuses.

Even though this season is a categorical **** up from everyone involved he still should be allowed some time. However If we have a rough start next year he will be gone like Brad.

That would be comparing apples and oranges

It's easy to say that we have the team to make the 8 but every single week we have a widely different outfit fronting up to play. We won't get any consistency to build momentum off last night's performance either, this week at training the 1, 7, 13, 10 and 4 will all be different replaced with lads who have probsbly never played together before. We can expect another drubbing against the dragons who will have a largely unchanged team losing just Ben hunt. (Sua will be replaced with fifita for origin 3).

This has been the story of our season. Each week we have several different players out, new players coming in and no time to build combinations. That combined with a short preseason after our whole team played rep footy and an exhibition in the US. The buck stops with Kevy but he has several mitigating factors this season that I don't think even the likes of Bellamy, cleary or bennet would be able to cope with either.

While we have had injuries, and i've said myself it hasnt helped with consistency, the bones of a top 8 side have been there still all year. I'm not seeing any reason to excuse us not making the 8 as things stand now.

I wouldn't worry that much about players not playing together. They train together every day, the backup players generally oppose the first choices so its not like they don't know each others games. This though is where i feel our system is weak. The whole squad should know the roles they should be playing no matter who is in the team. I personally dont think thats the case. Kevvie has set us up so we dont play that structured and its brilliant when its working, when its not, there isnt a lot to fall back on. We are very reliant on certain players being in the team.

That would be comparing apples and oranges
lose GF> miss the top 8> bottom 4 + coach sacked

Our current trajectory is eerily similar if we miss the top 8 which is likely at this stage.

One thing I would say against Kev, is that despite how close we came last season there is still similarities in what went wrong.

It can be forgotten because of how close we ended up, but we made errors galore in that GF, had shit discipline and as a result had way less possession, which ended up gassing us. None of this has improved whatsoever, its probably even worse.

However, we were high on confidence, had minimal injuries and defended our errors far better so it wasn't as impactful (bar the GF).

This year we've not played with confidence due to results, havent defended errors or pressure well, have had injuries and issues galore sure, but our basics haven't improved which is poor from a coaching standpoint.

I don't think he'll he sacked, and don't necessarily think he should be, but it's without a doubt concerning and disappointing that basics like discipline and errors are still an issue.

A coaching shake-up around KW is probably a good thing for us.

The guy repaired a very broken club when he arrived and that took time. He then took us to a Grand Final LAST YEAR. That's right - LAST YEAR.
You're entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else.

Any coach overseeing a string of losses like we've just had, on the back of a series of unconvincing error-riddled wins would be subject to scrutiny. Seibold, for example, has been copping it, and his team sits above us on the table.

If we fail to make the eight, or worse, end up in the bottom 4, you can't tell everyone to look the other way, and expect them to fall into line.

Keep in mind, if we fail to make the finals, Kevvie will have only made the finals once in four years. As much as he can take credit for last year, he has to wear the blame for this one.

I think we would all agree that Kevvie should be under scrutiny. I don’t however want to be sacking a coach every 3 years. That’s what bad clubs do. I need to see a strong finish to the season from us and some decent moves with our coaching staff and playing squad.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • Behind enemy lines
  • ettybay
  • TimWhatley
  • Fozz
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • marw
  • Tim K
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ostin86
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brocko
  • jarro65
  • Howie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.