THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh, Arthar has another job already, if you haven't heard. Coach of Leeds Rhinos. So rule him out as assistant.
Arturs is only coaching Leeds for the rest of 2024. He declined the coaching role for next year and beyond with them. So he IS still potentially available for an assistant role with you lot next year.

For me 2025 is the year. Reynolds last year, same squad, no expectations, injuries testing and giving exposure to our depth.... not just saying it bcos this year is a right off either, I always thought 2025 was the more likely of the 2.

Wish we had Penriths "strength and conditioning" coach so we could have a 4 year golden run with injuries......

Random, completely non-related fact: anabolic steroids also aid in the prevention and recovery from injuries, as well as increasing the pain tolerance levels of an individual numerous studies have found....

Arturs is only coaching Leeds for the rest of 2024. He declined the coaching role for next year and beyond with them. So he IS still potentially available for an assistant role with you lot next year.
Interesting. He must be talking to someone in the NRL.

Seems to me that we have forgotten what 2020 was like and become spoilt by 2023. We're just going through a injury/origin slump, which we've been through multiple times before.

Talking about sacking Kevvie is just stupid.

I think talk of sacking him now is stupid. I still maintain though we review things at the end of the season. You have to judge them on how things are going and if we are going backwards. We have to show something positive even in losses. If we cant do that i can see him being under a lot of pressure.

Seems to me that we have forgotten what 2020 was like and become spoilt by 2023. We're just going through a injury/origin slump, which we've been through multiple times before.

Talking about sacking Kevvie is just stupid.
Who exactly is talking about sacking him?

How funny would it be if the Eels announced that after a long extensive search for a coach, they’ve decided on Brad Arthur.
I'd be interested to hear your prediction for who might replace John Cartwright. I can't think of anyone as qualified, bearing in mind he played 18 games for Australia, spent 5 or 6 years as an assistant coach, and was head coach of the Titans for 7 years.

I think talk of sacking him now is stupid. I still maintain though we review things at the end of the season. You have to judge them on how things are going and if we are going backwards. We have to show something positive even in losses. If we cant do that i can see him being under a lot of pressure.
I mean review the season like we do every year. But sometimes teams just go through slumps.

My sense is that Kevin’s coaching style or actual ability has a lot of margin for error. In that if all of our stars are on the park, he has provided the freedom and belief to let our talent shine. And in that case we have a more than equal chance of coming out on top in most games.

But when things are against us, we don’t have a lot of substance or structure to fall back on. A lot of hit and miss the last few years. And I think this is in Kevin. And he Weil never be an elite coach.

TBF though, Friday nigh was probably the best case against my point I’ve seen for a long while.

For me the big concern is premiershipwindows are very small and short lived.

Walsh is only going to have is blisering speed for a few years until slowing down. Our forward pack will only have Hass, Carigan, Wilison and big Ben for a limited time until the poaching begins.

Unless you're the Panther and the storm these days, you have one sucessfull year and thats about it because other teams figure you out and you're brought back to the pack.

I guess the point im trying to make is, IF kevvie has done all he can with this team and it doesn't look like we are improving then a conversion about his future as head coach is a worthy one. I think new assistant coaches will help freshen things up a little. Im not saying Kev is done but we are in a premiership window so if we aren't getting results we need to consider options before the window closes.

All this talk about Kev's ability reminds me of a press conference Wayne did years ago, maybe 2005 or 2007.

We had lost a few key players, so maybe 2007. He said something like, "I'm here to tell you, the most important thing for a club to be successful, is keeping players on the park, keeping them together for as long as possible"

We just haven't had that luxury this year. Even the times when we have had a close to full strength side for a game, we've lost a player early, or more. The Roosters second game springs to mind..Lose an outside back. Make our way back to level on the scoreboard. Lose more players to bin/injury/HIA.

It's just that type of year.

I also think that our injuries to our fringe / depth players have had almost as big of an impact (maybe even more so) than the injuries to our top 17.
Agreed. It's been a cluster **** of a season.

Brisbane Broncos will not win a premiership until Alfie gets the sack. He has been the common denominator in our clubs most unsuccessful period. Has anyone else survived for as many years through these lean times? Why is one of QLDs biggest pissheads our trainer?

I'm half-joking here, though I do often wonder if any other club has a trainer that encourages binge drinking as much as Alfie does.

This is my take, largely based on how bloody upset and otherwise angry I am at the moment, so that's the grain of salt flavouring here as I stir the possum.

I can't agree that KW "coached" us to a GF last year. Rather, he and Arey managed a team of superstars to get to the GF. Remove those superstars - Herbie, Flegs, Capewell, Palasia, Arey (injured) and here we are. This year our pack is soft, unfit and lacks direction without ARey and, dare I say it, without a class dummy half. No wonder we are where we are on the ladder.

About the dummy half situation, as I see it, none of the top teams have an average hooker like Billy. Putting it another way, I can never see us winning a premiership against the current top 5 teams with Billy Walters as our 9. For mine, Billy is a great choice as our bench utility but that's it.

Can you imagine how good we would be with say Api K as our number 9, even given our average pack this year?

Major major problem: our fitness levels suck, and we lose against the better sides because we run out of energy, which for mine largely explains why we lost the GF, as well as this year's poor form. For mine, we are exactly where we deserve to be on the ladder given our form so far.

Yet again, our recruitment sucked big time. Last year, we had the best pack of forwards in the comp, we had Herbie whose running metres were outstanding, Capewell's experience and class, Fleg's aggression, ARey's game management and kicking game. Take them out and without equivalent replacements, and here we are.

I am genuinely worried that we will finish this season 3rd last.

Hope I'm wrong.

Our attacking sets are simply 4 hit ups and then pass to walsh. Not threatening to any nrl team.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • john1420
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Gympie devil
  • johnny plath
  • Cavalo
  • upthebroncs
  • Elcapitano20
  • Gaz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncoscope
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • azza.79
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • Tristan1990
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.