THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
You can certainly ask the question why so little representation from Brisbane in a Brisbane team, but I don't see it as an issue- the Broncos need to be getting the best players not just the best players from Brisbane.

It's nice to have the local kid playing for the Broncos but it's more important to be identifying people and talent no matter where they're from.

Even if you go back and look at the halcyon Cyril days players weren't just from Brisbane.

2006- Hodges Carins, Boyd Gold Coast, Tate Roma, Stagg Townsville, Hunt NZ, Lockyer Brisbane, Perry Brisbane, Webcke Toowoomba, Berrgian Brisbane, Petero Fiji, Thaiday Sydney, Thorn NZ, Carroll NZ, McGuire Sunny Coast, Parker Brisbane, Carlaw Brisbane, Hannant Gold Coast.

Not doubting you but where do you get that info. I counted up on the qrl website only about 30 players from Brisbane. https://www.qrl.com.au/about/eligible-players/

It's the QRL figures- I assume the gap is because you can be a Brisbane junior but not be Queensland eligible.

Someone like Sam Walker might be counted in Brisbane too- even though he played his junior football in Ipswich.

Ipswich wouldn't really fit in any other area figures.

2006- Hodges Carins, Boyd Gold Coast, Tate Roma, Stagg Townsville, Hunt NZ, Lockyer Brisbane, Perry Brisbane, Webcke Toowoomba, Berrgian Brisbane, Petero Fiji, Thaiday Sydney, Thorn NZ, Carroll NZ, McGuire Sunny Coast, Parker Brisbane, Carlaw Brisbane, Hannant Gold Coast.
Junior Clubs
Hodges Cairns, Boyd Gold Coast, Tate Redcliffe, Stagg Brisbane, Hunt Brisbane, Lockyer Roma, Perry Moreton Bay, Webcke Toowoomba, Berrigan Brisbane, Civoniceiva Redcliffe, Thaiday Townsville, Thorn Moreton Bay, Carroll Logan, Parker Logan, Carlaw Moreton Bay, Hannant Gold Coast, McGuire Caloundra

Junior Clubs
Hodges Cairns, Boyd Gold Coast, Tate Redcliffe, Stagg Brisbane, Hunt Brisbane, Lockyer Roma, Perry Moreton Bay, Webcke Toowoomba, Berrigan Brisbane, Civoniceiva Redcliffe, Thaiday Townsville, Thorn Moreton Bay, Carroll Logan, Parker Logan, Carlaw Moreton Bay, Hannant Gold Coast, McGuire Caloundra

I thought Lockyer was Roma.

Of those 53, how many are in the NRL? How many are from elsewhere but playing for the Broncs? To be from Brissy but not Qld eligible means it includes NZ, pacific players? So the likes of Riki? Farnworth?

Whilst it’s roughly related can you explain to me the reasoning for getting rid of colts @1910? Because the unnecessary cost argument QRL dished out was piss poor. Absolutely baffling. I think they actually give a fair bit of ground to other codes by cutting the quality of development or even the opportunity to play rugby league in that sort of environment after the age of 19. It’s abhorrently poor that if we have players in our system not up to scratch in cup older than 19 or at the conclusion of the Meninga season they are playing BRL, the system is bad enough in comparison to NSWRL development opportunities already why give them more ground.
Clubs didn't see enough value in it. Quite often in a player found themselves in limbo and were too good for colts but not good enough for QCup, they'd often play local league.

All Ikin has done is recognise that clubs only value 'junior' footy until U/19, so he bumped both Mal Meninga and Cyril Connell up an age group and tried to bolster the local competitions.

It's one of those decisions where we won't know how bad the repercussions are until later. I'd be interested to see the data, but in terms of talent, I never felt like the NYC delivered a surplus. The coverage of the competition was abysmal and it was just really expensive pre-match entertainment.

I still like the concept and strongly believe every club should invest in a strong U/21s pathway system but clearly most clubs disagree with me.

I thought Lockyer was Roma.

Of those 53, how many are in the NRL? How many are from elsewhere but playing for the Broncs? To be from Brissy but not Qld eligible means it includes NZ, pacific players? So the likes of Riki? Farnworth?
Yeah 1910 threw me as well, but he was talking about place of birth. The Thaiday mention was a tip off.

Riki is Christchurch, Farnworth is Wigan, Willison is Whatawhata.

I'd have to look into it, but there are examples like Kodi Nikorima who would be considered an Aspley Devils junior despite moving here when he was 12. You have to dig deeper to realise he's actually a Christchurch junior (but then players move around, it's not club of origin so it's difficult to nominate who gets the credit).

Gilbert is the biggest missed opportunity off the top of my head. There's examples like Welch and Howarth, but I think they were scouted from other cities before moving to Brisbane. Ponga is another example and I'd consider him more of a Mackay junior.

In regards to these players as well, do we ever get players show any kind of desire to earn a contract with us these days. I can remember when after he got too old for the 20's Tom Opacic asked Wayne Bennett for a chance to prove himself and come in for free, making a 120k round trip to earn a contract. He got the contract and has had a reasonable career out of that desire to earn himself a chance. Am i being a little harsh thinking not many players are backing themselves to do that because they are a little entitled?

Whilst it’s roughly related can you explain to me the reasoning for getting rid of colts @1910? Because the unnecessary cost argument QRL dished out was piss poor. Absolutely baffling. I think they actually give a fair bit of ground to other codes by cutting the quality of development or even the opportunity to play rugby league in that sort of environment after the age of 19. It’s abhorrently poor that if we have players in our system not up to scratch in cup older than 19 or at the conclusion of the Meninga season they are playing BRL, the system is bad enough in comparison to NSWRL development opportunities already why give them more ground.

In brisbane the union set up for local footy is very strong in the senior grades of footy. Colts and Opens have a strong development system for each club where the quality of Union players is very strong. Union requires a lot more physical development before being chucked into the higher grades and then into the professional system so they find themselves in a position where the quality of Union in colts is very high as that’s the natural progression for EVERY and I mean EVERY player. I can see a lot of rejects going to Union for that opportunity to still go pro or play in a more professional environment than playing BRL or quitting.

I’ve been strongly of the opinion that the NYC or a national reserve grade must be in place. I think I’d lean towards the NYC simply because I think that’s a product that is more likely to generate money. Especially with a heightened interest in young players/guns. The quality of development in integral positions has dropped considerably since its scrapping. Obviously I’m reading just now that they are looking at bringing back the NYC and my thought always was the general consensus was that the NYC was returning otherwise why else would you scrap development above the age of 19?

Value for investment, players are making it younger now, 18-19. At the age of U20 you're playing Cup now.

Make Meninga U19 and you nearly have the same age covered.

Junior Clubs

I thought about junior clubs but some players have played for more than one and it's very murky I thought where they are from makes pretty similar point. The two aren't too dissimilar.

That is pretty sad given that Brisbane should be a Rugby league Hearltand
Gold Coast is probably the biggest hub of Rugby league talent on earth, because you get loads of scouted Kiwis who move there, they have the best Schools who play in the league competitions so it brings people from all over the state there aswell.

I don't think you're even close to answering the question- I think he's asking how can a Brisbane league team not have a large percentage of Brisbane players?

It's applied to Storm all the time- how can they not have more Melbourne players.

One of the first things Gus fixed at Penrith was locals in the Panthers side, last year it was 83% and this year it dropped to 75% and they weren't happy.
The definition of locals in that penrith side must be pretty loose because their are at least 6 players from country areas that all play first grade not to mention a few ring ins from other clubs. The St Marys juniors help but country players like Yeo, Martin & Edwards are vital cogs in the Penrith machine. Gus was smart in identifying the top talent in the bush and swallowing the stronger groups in country rugby league under their banner. The group 10/11 catchment area is starting to produce some real talent year in year out now due to these connections.

Gold Coast is probably the biggest hub of Rugby league talent on earth, because you get loads of scouted Kiwis who move there, they have the best Schools who play in the league competitions so it brings people from all over the state there aswell.
Full understand that but to me it’s crazy that Brisbane as a region isn’t doing better.

Personally....I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Peter Wallace.

It would appear the ginger numpty skid mark, he left behind, is too great a deterrent to attract the highest echelon of QRL talent to the club anymore.

Its the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  • Totally Unr3al
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Griffo
  • Viti
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • pagey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.