THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Actually really enjoyed the post game presser. Only 2 or so questions asked about tonight’s game. The rest was on TPJ & what else is happening at the club.
“Everyone has had 15 weeks to prove themselves“.
”Everyone at the club is being looked at”.
Seems like DD is doing a genuine clean out and from the way Kevin spoke and looked like the he had the weight of the world is on his shoulders, may have also been told that he isn’t particularly safe.
I would not be surprised if he has been told he will not be extended beyond 2022 if things don’t drastically improve.

The thing I liked was Kevvie's blunt response to Peter Badel saying the club had gone backwards

"Come talk to me at the end of the season", is basically what he said. About time he showed a bit of that fire in the belly, us fans want to see that

Has anyone listened to him commentate before?

Can barely string a coherent sentence together. And he's now coaching one of the biggest clubs in the country LOL

This will go down like Fittler coaching the Roosters in 2009.

There's no quality coach available. Although I 100% agree with throwing stupid cash at Bellamy, that isn't a realistic option. We ought to have signed someone like Hasler when we booted out Bennett, but now the cupboard is bare unless we turn back to Bennett, which again isn't going to happen.
You don't rate Flanagan?

What 2 situations? You're the one who brought in the whole needing to pay a mortgage bullshit.

I know some very wealthy people who earn stupid amounts of money, and despise their boss. A phrase one told me has stuck with me "I fucking hate my boss 13 days of the fortnight, but he's pretty good come pay day"

For me, you compared 2 situations;

1 - an extremely rich man who doesn't need to earn any money, who despite that is earning money in an easy non-stressful job (Ch9) deciding instead to work for an organisation they hate

2 - a normal Joe who works for an organisation they hate

I find them different, that's all

You're now saying you know very wealthy people who do it, well that's fine, I don't, and I also don't know if your very wealthy friends are very wealthy because of who they are currently working for and need to keep working for them to remain wealthy. It's very difficult to be happy and content in life if you hate who you work for, and if there was someone else prepared to pay them equally well whom they didn't hate, you don't think they would move? I do. But hey you know them and I don't so I can't say anymore.

The point at the start of this was simply that CS9 isn't coming, no matter the money. And he isn't. He does not need money, he is earning it anyway doing a less stressful job, and a 3rd thing I think we can add in is that I doubt CS9 wants to risk his reputation by potentially not helping us improve.

This is what I originally thought Kev was doing and I thought I saw it coming to life in the panthers game.

- pick what you think is the best side
- back the players and your coaching
- strip the game down to the simplest components
- concentrate on building defensive structures and habits
- play painfully boring footy until you get the basics right then start to add some dazzle
- drop players who aren’t buying in, reward efforts over execution
- cop a lot of gusty losses and keep your head high that you are improving on the fundamentals. Trust the process and keep working at it.

None of those seems to be the case though.
Don't forget the spray at training Kev gave them a few weeks ago about not being ready for razzle dazzle and to get the fxxxking basics right. I think half the problem is the ego of these blokes, they just can't stick to a simple game plan be it attack or defence.
Also didn't Simple say these blokes could not grasp the basics and needed to have things drawn on paper to even slightly get it.

I think the presser last night shows Kev gets it, we have been bad for years. It's not not one thing it's everything. The only thing that gives me hope is the Roosters in 2016 turned their fortunes around in one offseason by mass selling and buying. It can be done, but the infield can't be the only thing changing.

Yeah Kev is copping heat, that's obvious and rightly so. I still am willing to give him time but he needs to show something and I'd suggest Donuts has told him that.
Going to be near impossible now given the back office has just told 3/4 of the squad they aren't wanted.

Nothing builds team morale like telling someone "pack your shit and **** off."

Going to be near impossible now given the back office has just told 3/4 of the squad they aren't wanted.

Nothing builds team morale like telling someone "pack your shit and **** off."
Absolute certainties for the spoon now I would think.

Don't forget the spray at training Kev gave them a few weeks ago about not being ready for razzle dazzle and to get the fxxxking basics right. I think half the problem is the ego of these blokes, they just can't stick to a simple game plan be it attack or defence.
Also didn't Simple say these blokes could not grasp the basics and needed to have things drawn on paper to even slightly get it.

I think the presser last night shows Kev gets it, we have been bad for years. It's not not one thing it's everything. The only thing that gives me hope is the Roosters in 2016 turned their fortunes around in one offseason by mass selling and buying. It can be done, but the infield can't be the only thing changing.
Thaiday once said that TPJ didn’t know and had to be taught that you are meant to use soap when showering.

I wouldn’t put too much credence into reading Walters’ body language in the presser. He will be here until the end of the next year imo. He’s the perfect coach for this rebuild, he’ll do whatever Donaghy says needs to be done because he loves the club that much. Even now he’s weathering a media storm and massive criticism re: TPJ, Lodge, Oates because it needs to be done. Honestly Kev’s value to us at the moment is as much off field as it is on field.

Found a few comments in that post match interview very telling.

Firstly, he let slip that "over the next 2-3 weeks" is the timeline when change will be happening.

When asked about if everyone's under review, he looked absolutely rattled. Started fidgeting, looked uncomfortable. He's been pretty quiet/calm up to this point, but this was actual nerves showing through tonight.

I think Donuts has taken a month, and decided on drastic changes. GOOD! Burn the joint down Donuts.

From the looks of Kev, he knows he's up on the wall now. If we spoon, doubt Kev sees out the year.

The biggest challenge is even if we shred our current roster, who do/can we even buy for next year that's going to save us from the train wreck?

If the club is in disarray and couldn't tip water out of a boot with instructions written on the heel, then who's going to come here? Has beens and rejects on overs?

This is now a 5 year problem unless we land some killer blows - like recruiting a top class coach. If it were my club, I'd throw stupid amounts of money at Bellyache. Like 10Mil signing bonus. **** the NRL's admin cap, they can suck a fat one - what have we got to lose honestly?

Club is a PLC... if this nonsense continues, share price will crash, memberships crash, attendence faulter - no money in = massive cutbacks and sell offs which puts us in an even worse position.
Grab your popcorn and a nice warm blanket, and strap yourself in for the next few months @Skathen . Things are going to happen fast.

He's shown no improvement in the squad. Terrible bench usage. Suffers from foot in mouth disorder when talking to the media and hasn't shown any adoption to the new PVLeague style. What have you witnessed that shows he has any actual value left to offer?
I think certain aspects of our attack has improved but it really is going to shit now. I’m willing to give Kevvie a chance with a new squad as currently it’s still the same wooden spoon side as last year of not worse. where these new players are coming from, I really don’t know.

Grab your popcorn and a nice warm blanket, and strap yourself in for the next few months @Skathen . Things are going to happen fast.

Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

One question though Joe, is Kev on the fire as well?

What I really liked about Kevvie's presser was that he fired back at Badel that the rot at the Broncos had been going on for almost five years. I'm so glad that DD has acknowledged this. Our slow disintegration began just before we made the 2015 GF and having plodders like Macca there ensured we lost it. it has been downhill ever since.

Let's hope the coming firestorm eradicates all those bad habits we've picked up since then. I won't be convinced though until Morris and our recruitment team are walking out the door.

Come on bro, I love ya but you’ve gotta give more than that. We all could have said this after what happened last night.

What I really liked about Kevvie's presser was that he fired back at Badel that the rot at the Broncos had been going on for almost five years. I'm so glad that DD has acknowledged this. Our slow disintegration began just before we made the 2015 GF and having plodders like Macca there ensured we lost it. it has been downhill ever since.

Let's hope the coming firestorm eradicates all those bad habits we've picked up since then. I won't be convinced though until Morris and our recruitment team are walking out the door.
His comments re the current lack of resilience, mental weakness were very telling.

His comments re the current lack of resilience, mental weakness were very telling.
The current state of the Broncos reminds me of another Brisbane footy team that was in a similar state. The Brisbane Bears (now Lions) went through this twice, when they 1st started and after their premierships and it took them a good 10 years or more to sort themselves out from the Bad News Bears days. This is definitely the Bad News Broncos days but I am hoping the difference here is the Broncos are in a traditional Rugby League area and have resources so hoping they can gut the joint and rebuild.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Galah
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • winslow_wong
  • The True King
  • Shane Tronc
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.