THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
We need to start looking at this logically. We've had almost 20 years without a premiership. We have been through 6 coaches since we last won something. Maybe like other failing clubs there is more to it. The Board probably needs a clean out. The Recruitment department probably needs to change how it identifies talent. The Coaching staff needs to change how it wants to operate.

Ole Bill would not be media friendly if his team was not successful .
His we are still Queenslanders quote is up there with we will make the finals as far as new age Foo Foo goes .
That was weird as **** but he has done a lot of media and that's the only **** up I can remember.
I'm sure he wouldn't be trying to sell us " I know exactly how to fix it", everything will work out, no ifs we will play finals.
The Bradley Stubbs cool aid wore out months ago.
Even though he claims he isn't working with Kev and if he was we would be in the top 2.

Kemp pointed out that Bennnett moved Hammer to take out Staggs (this is our home, etc), who had emerged as our only attack weapon, and put Herbie on Karapani, the newbie with suss defence. He talked up Plath's versatility (if only we'd noticed that in his T&T) and the gall of dropping Katoa to the bench, and obviously the Trai Fuller revelation. But most of all he kept using the term "masterclass," to refer to Kevvie's mentor showing him how actual coaches actually coach.

Are you suggesting 'Pride in the jersey' and 'need more effort' pep talks aren't enough?

Kevvie isn't necessarily "the (entire) problem" but I think it's clear now he's not the solution either.

I think Kevvie's limitations as a coach have been exposed in the last few weeks. There are "good bloke" reasons to keep him on until he dies a horrible humiliating death, played out in the press, next season. But I think it will turn out to be cruel, rather than kind.
I do think this is more likely than another 2023 result. As much as I feel the guy isn't a good coach, and I've said that from the start and all through last year for the reasons I've posted, the club has to give him next year.
A full off season, fix the fitness and defensive system and try and build off that. Staying injury free is still the risk we face as our squad is thin as can be. Next year is without doubt make or break for his career in the NRL.
Unfortunatley I think he is off to a bad start already with his choice of ass coaches. Barrett could do an ok job in attack but Ben Teo as defence coach (?) is a risky soft choice, and I think a safe choice as far as threat to his job.
It's a bad choice because there is no way he can be thinking he can point the finger at assisstants next year and survive so why wouldn't you headhunt the very best proven defensive coach around.
Same goes with the fitness guy, I know nothing of who this is or their credentials, only that from my lounge chair fitness has been an issue.

Kevvie isn't necessarily "the (entire) problem" but I think it's clear now he's not the solution either.

Four years is a decent stint as head coach. It's as long as Wayne got in his second stint and he never missed a final. It's also longer than he had at St George, Newcastle, Souths and Redcliffe. It's as long as Hook got, and longer than Seibold and Henjak. It's more patience than the Catalans had.

It makes him the second longest serving coach of the Broncos. With the second lowest win %. Only Seibold was lower.

But never mind the stats. We got through last year on exceptional defence. Who has responsible for that? Was it Kevvie? Or was he more responsible for the Hail Mary style attack that we saw again this season? Because that defence was nowhere to be seen.

I think Kevvie's limitations as a coach have been exposed in the last few weeks. There are "good bloke" reasons to keep him on until he dies a horrible humiliating death, played out in the press, next season. But I think it will turn out to be cruel, rather than kind.

You may well be right but if the alternative is Bellamy, see ya Kev. If the alternative is Maguire, no thank you, I'm sticking with Kev.

The Fluke was we got Reece Walsh back, only because the Warriors stipulated, they would release him from is contract to any Queensland team but the Dolphins. (remember Walters let him go in the first place)

Walsh’s inclusion gave every other good player we had more time and space on attack, as defences had to overcompensate to cover him.

Our only average cog in the machine was the number 9, with a better hooker our spine would have been untouchable and probably won the GF.

When you let three integral parts of a very good team go, without replacing like for like, in Farnworth, Flegler and Capewell it will have a massive effect on the team’s performance.

When your coach and club hierarchy do this without realising what the ramifications could be, you know they’re inept.

Therefore, one can only conclude last year was more of an aberration or fluke, than anything to do with good coaching or administration.
That's just not true at all. The Warriors asked him where he would like to go and he said the Broncos so they said fine your only allowed to negotiate with them. They didn't want his services become a circus with the amount of clubs trying to speak to him. Reece chose to come back to the club on his own accord just like he could have went to the Dolphins if he desired.

You may well be right but if the alternative is Bellamy, see ya Kev. If the alternative is Maguire, no thank you, I'm sticking with Kev.
Maguire doesn't feel like the right fit for me other than in a Dolphins/Bennett arrangement where his remit is to train a rookie assistant of the calibre of Cameron Smith to take over in two years. He's just queuing up another coach to get the bullet.

I suggest Shaun Wane because he's the best in the business in the only other comp. And again, it would have to be a short hire with a judiciously selected understudy. Also, I think he's available.

I do think this is more likely than another 2023 result. As much as I feel the guy isn't a good coach, and I've said that from the start and all through last year for the reasons I've posted, the club has to give him next year.
A full off season, fix the fitness and defensive system and try and build off that. Staying injury free is still the risk we face as our squad is thin as can be. Next year is without doubt make or break for his career in the NRL.
Unfortunatley I think he is off to a bad start already with his choice of ass coaches. Barrett could do an ok job in attack but Ben Teo as defence coach (?) is a risky soft choice, and I think a safe choice as far as threat to his job.
It's a bad choice because there is no way he can be thinking he can point the finger at assisstants next year and survive so why wouldn't you headhunt the very best proven defensive coach around.
Same goes with the fitness guy, I know nothing of who this is or their credentials, only that from my lounge chair fitness has been an issue.
Too early for Kevin to take accountability in any meaningful way; the regular season still in play, review not done.

A power move by Kevin would be to take ownership of his end at the appropriate time; take some Bennett-like public pressure off under performers instead off blaming them via Gordy. Hiring assistants that threaten his job as he should hire players that threaten the 17.

Every man and his dog in rugby league is talking about the Broncos and the implosion. Everyone seems to have identified the issues. It really is up to Kevin now. There isn't a lot of places for him to hide.

It is the off season that could save his job. The first 12 weeks of the regular season will just be a reflection of that. It would be a shame for him to be remembered as: great player, and a Nice Bloke.

All this bring in an arse kicker talk ...
Being hard on people doesn`t automatically = improvement .
It`s pretty basic psychology people respond best when they are engaged and happy .

....and why wouldn't they be happy right now? They are probably the most molly coddled, indulged group of young sportsmen on the planet.

Time to change tack.......

mascot threat GIF

Maguire doesn't feel like the right fit for me other than in a Dolphins/Bennett arrangement where his remit is to train a rookie assistant of the calibre of Cameron Smith to take over in two years. He's just queuing up another coach to get the bullet.

I suggest Shaun Wane because he's the best in the business in the only other comp. And again, it would have to be a short hire with a judiciously selected understudy. Also, I think he's available.
The way the club is run at the moment is to just leave absolutely everything in the hands of the coach... I'm not sure you can bring in a pommy with zero contacts across QRL or NSWRL to right the ship.

All this bring in an arse kicker talk ...
Being hard on people doesn`t automatically = improvement .
It`s pretty basic psychology people respond best when they are engaged and happy .
Two ways of getting results - reward or punishment . Too much of one or the other you lose the dressing room .
Bennett made a career out of being the surrogate parent that you would rather forfeit your life, then disappoint. Being the Nice Guy that Kevin is, I thought this was suppose to be his skill set.

You are right though, a hazing could break them. The deconstruction of, boys of Insta, needs to be more loofah exfoliant, than honest.

Too early for Kevin to take accountability in any meaningful way; the regular season still in play, review not done.

A power move by Kevin would be to take ownership of his end at the appropriate time; take some Bennett-like public pressure off under performers instead off blaming them via Gordy. Hiring assistants that threaten his job as he should hire players that threaten the 17.

Every man and his dog in rugby league is talking about the Broncos and the implosion. Everyone seems to have identified the issues. It really is up to Kevin now. There isn't a lot of places for him to hide.

It is the off season that could save his job. The first 12 weeks of the regular season will just be a reflection of that. It would be a shame for him to be remembered as: great player, and a Nice Bloke.

Everyone has identified the issues? So the Broncos need to:
- Change most of the squad
- Get rid of Kevvie but not get rid of Kevvie
- Get players to take pay cuts because they will be willing to do this apparently
- Get Herbie back and Flegs, his shoulder can get stuffed
- Punt Haas, punt Hetherington, punt Mam, punt Cobbo, punt Jensen and Arthars, re-sign Oates but not re-sign him
- Not sign Barrett but sign someone unaffiliated with the club
- Replace Kevvie with Maguire, Arthur, Hannay, Wane, Holbrook and bring on Slater and Smith as assistants
- Get Gus
- Bring back Wayne
- Chase Bellamy for the 105th time and then get blamed when he doesn't come for the 105th time
- Sign Horsbrough but also Walker and bring Black in now
- Re-teach basic instructions
- re-write 2023 as never happening and bring back the 90s
- Sack Buck
- Get rid of Lockyer, the board, Donuts, Kevvie and bring back Ikin
- Sign Rhyse Martin
- Sign Mikey Lewis
- Chase any random player with a highlight video on YouTube
- Fast track maturity in our younger players
- Make sure no injuries happen in a full contact sport
- Sack Alf

I'm not sure how the club can't do all these things everyone wants.

- Get players to take pay cuts because they will be willing to do this apparently
- Punt Haas, punt Hetherington, punt Mam, punt Cobbo, punt Jensen and Arthars, re-sign Oates but not re-sign him
- Replace Kevvie with Maguire, Arthur, Hannay, Wane, Holbrook and bring on Slater and Smith as assistants
- Get Gus
- Bring back Wayne
- Chase Bellamy for the 105th time and then get blamed when he doesn't come for the 105th time
- Sack Buck
- Sign Rhyse Martin
- Sign Mikey Lewis
- Sack Alf

Err, you forgot my request sprojy.
Billy Walters?

- Get Gus
- Bring back Wayne
- Sack Buck
- Sign Rhyse Martin
- Sign Mikey Lewis
- Sack Alf

we just want to sack Kev mate it’s not that deep

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.