THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
The obvious concern about Trent is his record as head coach is abysmal, but he does have an OK record as assistant, so it's not a guaranteed failure of an appointment. It comes with question marks, which is why I said 'concern' and not stronger language.
BT is an interesting one. I said "he isn't it" somewhat off-handedly, really because I am looking for proven options, by which I mean success at NRL level either as an assistant or head coach. For all I know Ben might be the next big thing, so rather than "he isn't it" perhaps it would be better to say "there's no evidence to say he is it". And whilst Ben might be the next big thing, where this team is right now I am not looking for 'might'.

What's a "proven" assistant look like?

They usually get head coaching roles. Not many assistants become a proven assistant then go and take up a role as an assistant somewhere else, unless they don't make it as a head coach.

One thing that has been glaringly obvious all season is Kev's denial or flat out blatant lying.
Any time any pressure related questions have been put to him, he always gives great lip service but you can genuinely feel that it's shit he is spitting out.
I'll take you back two weeks "We will be playing finals".
How could anyone make such a statement when the team was playing like they were? I don't buy this positive spin that he's been putting on everything because it creates a false sense. Not only for the fans but also the playing group.
We know that they're a pretty weak team and it's been laid bare for all to see that they just couldn't give a **** about anything. Telling them they will make finals allows the playing group to drop off that 5%. This group think they're rockstars, yet they have won absolutely nothing.
Imo this is where our season was over before it began (mentally) - all the media hype, all the social media articles about how the Broncos were morals for the 2024 premiership. Top down thought they had won the premiership before a ball was kicked without putting in the work. They had all bought into it.
It's not professional by any means. The entire club are back to being the laughing stock of the NRL.

Again, last night in the presser Kev said something along the lines of 'I have my ideas on what has gone wrong this season'.
So why not tell us what's gone wrong? Why hide it if you genuinely know?
The answer is he has no idea. He is clueless. If he knew, we wouldn't be anywhere near the position we find ourselves in.
Kev was an exceptional player, no doubts, but that automatically mean he will make a great head coach.

Kev has had his hands all over the roster. The choices to punt Flegler and Herbie were horrendous. Mariner doesn't offer 1/4 of what Herbie does. The purchases of Baker, Hunt and Gow proved to be shocking QCUP level buys.
And now we are ok to let Hetherington walk? Allowing Plath to go when he is streaks ahead of Billy, Paix and Smoothy. 1.2m(ish) for Walsh, offer him 1m max and say you're either in this with us or you're free to go. Honestly, wtf is going on with R&R. And don't get me started on life post Reyno because so far Madden, Rodgers and Mam have all proved that they don't deserve the 7 jersey. Again Kev has zero answers here.

Its time to face the truth, the facts, the stats and everything else and accept he isn't the man for the job moving forward. I think Kev would make a good assistant but that's it imo.
Club legend yes, head coach, no.
4 years in charge, 1 finals series. It's not good enough and the fall from grace within a 12 month period is genuinely mesmerising.

As much as I hated the Seibold era, we look like we are back there and the crazy thing is the talent in this team is miles ahead of what Seibold had to work with.

There is no way any of those players (expect son) were playing for the coach these last eight weeks.
I challenge anyone to prove that he hasn't lost the dressing room.
"Kev has had his hands all over the roster. The choices to punt Flegler and Herbie were horrendous. "

I don't think this is entirely true. Reports were that Kev desperately wanted to keep at least Herbie, the front office failed, and Kev was furious. To say that Kev punted Herbie I really don't think is right.

I agree that Kev has a lot to answer for, in fact so much we definitely don't need to add things to the list that aren't true :)

The obvious concern about Trent is his record as head coach is abysmal, but he does have an OK record as assistant, so it's not a guaranteed failure of an appointment. It comes with question marks, which is why I said 'concern' and not stronger language.
BT is an interesting one. I said "he isn't it" somewhat off-handedly, really because I am looking for proven options, by which I mean success at NRL level either as an assistant or head coach. For all I know Ben might be the next big thing, so rather than "he isn't it" perhaps it would be better to say "there's no evidence to say he is it". And whilst Ben might be the next big thing, where this team is right now I am not looking for 'might'.

I understand the best predictor of the future is past performances .
But,, this coaching groups of people is a much more fluid model I believe .

What worked with one group may not neccessarily work with another .
eg Wayne Bennet at the Knights ...

They usually get head coaching roles. Not many assistants become a proven assistant then go and take up a role as an assistant somewhere else, unless they don't make it as a head coach.

That was Kevvie up until he snagged the Broncos job as boss .
Brisbane - Melbourne - Newcastle . Then a Super League job .

What is your answer/solution then BF?

Plot Kevvie's coaching trajectory.

That was Kevvie up until he snagged the Broncos job as boss .
Brisbane - Melbourne - Newcastle . Then a Super League job .
I like it when head coaches become assistants. We've had our share of those.

What is your answer/solution then BF?

You're the one taking shots at the assistants he's bringing in, I don't have to answer to anything.

Go watch Parra's press conference if you think they don't want to put in for Trent Barrett. I actually think he's a good aquisition. As for Ben Te'o, who is to know? None of us on here that's for sure.

Exactly this... it's about finding the next guys coming through and bringing them into your organisation... but who are the people in our club that have footy knowledge and/or contacts across the league to identify these up and comers.

Ballin seems a good person to have brought in... modern enough player to know the meta of wrestling, etc. and came through under Des who prioritises defence above all else.

Except I think he's had increased involvement in defence this year and we've been horrendous in that department... so is that because Ballin doesn't know what he's doing, are the players too stupid, are they not fit enough to put into place what he's teaching them, are the broncos not investing enough into the supplementary areas like wrestling coaches, etc.

Plot Kevvie's coaching trajectory.

When you get your team to a Grand Final, you've probably made it as a head coach.

That will always be the dagger in any argument you ever want to come up with when referencing why it's time to move Kev on. You know it too, I admire your drive though.

When you get your team to a Grand Final, you've probably made it as a head coach.

That will always be the dagger in any argument you ever want to come up with when referencing why it's time to move Kev on. You know it too, I admire your drive though.
And when it all comes crashing down and every opposition coach uses your team like rag dolls? When you're treated like a trial game?

And when it all comes crashing down and every opposition coach uses your team like rag dolls? When you're treated like a trial game?

This was happening in 2022, then we made the Grand Final in 2023.

He can turn it around, of course he can, he's done it before. You could argue he has done it twice. The first time was when our cap was in all sorts and he had to fix that mess, then the resurgence in 2023 after a horrible ending to 2022.

It's why this "3 of out 4" stat is only ever mentioned by people who have next to no idea about what was actually happening.

He can turn it around, of course he can, he's done it before. You could argue he has done it twice. The first time was when our cap was in all sorts and he had to fix that mess, then the resurgence in 2023 after a horrible ending to 2022.

It's why this "3 of out 4" stat is only ever mentioned by people who have next to no idea about what was actually happening.
There's two things they can't argue with. The defensive improvements under kev from 2022-2023 and making the 2023 grand final coming from the wooden spoon three years prior.

It's laughable people saying that they can't see it turning around.. he did it less than two years ago!

There's two things they can't argue with. The defensive improvements under kev from 2022-2023 and making the 2023 grand final coming from the wooden spoon three years prior.

It's laughable people saying that they can't see it turning around.. he did it less than two years ago!
Yes, the defensive improvements and turnaround from 2022 to 2023 were spectacular and credit must be paid to Kev for that. But don't you think the fall in defensive standards from 2023 to 2024 were just as spectacular (in a negative way of course)? Who takes the blame for that? Is it not the coach? He is responsible surely for the systems in place to oversee these things.

Did either of you two circle jerking bumchums even watch the last two months of football?

Yes, the defensive improvements and turnaround from 2022 to 2023 were spectacular and credit must be paid to Kev for that. But don't you think the fall in defensive standards from 2023 to 2024 were just as spectacular (in a negative way of course)? Who takes the blame for that? Is it not the coach? He is responsible surely for the systems in place to oversee these things.
Of course it's the coach who takes some of the blame. But that doesn't mean he's not the guy to turn it around ;). Our entire left edge changed with the losses and we had shortened preseason on both sides, start and finish. Players playing new positions on the left and some their first NRL season as regular starters. If everyone stops regurgitating the same shit and gets behind the team we might have a better chance at success!

Some people just don’t have what it takes to be a head coach though. For mine that doesn’t make them shit assistant coaches. By all reports JD is a tremendous assistant coach, put him in a position where he has to manage relationships more intricately and he completely fucked it over.

Coaching is a balancing act and some just don’t quite have the skills, creativity, personality to cut it as a head coach. Assistant coach is a lot less like that. I’ll take Trent especially in attack any day of the week. I think Peter Wallace and JD are probably the only two assistants I’d have taken before him personally. Sure his head coaching record is grim but at the end of the day he is the one getting head coaching jobs, interim coach promotions and shit like that which means he is a lot better than the average assistant running around. Obviously his head coaching record is rough but the best he has gotten to work with was manly all those years ago. He was an absolute deadset dickhead for taking the doggies job and idk what on earth he could have done to turn the Eels team around. Filled with past it has beens, journeyman plodders and rookies.

The acquisition of Ben Te’O has been criticised a bit as well but I genuinely rate that signing so highly. I think he is probably one of if not the most promising young coaches going around tbh.

Within 3 seasons of retiring he coached Redcliffe colts to a grand final (beaten by a stacked blackhawks team) whilst simultaneously coaching the Nudgee 2nd XV first year out of the NRL and at a different club to the one he retired at.

Within 12 months of retiring he was appointed into the cup head coach role whilst doing a fair bit of work with and around the NRL team that year. They bowed out first round of finals after coming 5th with a 11-3-6 record and losing by 6 points against a stacked Falcons side that had the likes of Fa’alogo, Anderson, Olam, J Nik, Vaalepu, Wishart, Pene, Howarth, Lewis all playing for them.

Come to this season and the dolphins have finished 3rd. Found themselves in some strife in the finals series with a mixture of injuries and a squadron of players being called up to NRL so it’s likely to end this afternoon but that’s life you can’t tarnish Te’O for that result.

To wrap it all up he also was the u19 maroons coach this year and that is by far the best they have looked in some time whilst definitely not having the same level of quality that NSW had littered throughout there side.

Not to mention the bloke might be just about be the most experienced cross-coder to go into coaching. NRL premiership, 174 NRL games across 3 different clubs (essentially 4), 7 Origins, a test match for Samoa, 98 club union games in 4 different teams and 3 different comps, 16 tests for union and 2 British and Irish Lions appearances. Not to mention he has the experience of playing in the forwards in the NRL and backs in union. Fair to say the bloke has seen it all and has a shit ton of knowledge and experience to go with his clear knack for coaching.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.