THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
92kgpy

When Kev came in, he said over and over that missing the 8 is unacceptable for the Broncos. He's now missed it 3 out of 4 times.
It is unacceptable.
That doest mean fire the coach.
For starters Kev had to undo a lot of the rot from the Seibold era, and there has been a ton of change since then.

We have to give the bloke a few years to settle the place down and develop some culture in the place.
Firing him now just starts that whole process over again.

Kev has shown he had what it takes to get this team to a grand final, especially when we have a season that is not decimated by injury like this year.

............It’s seems extremely unfair to bash and put the blame on the one bloke who clearly shows up each week

Each week?
He's missed 2/3 of this season. 1/2 of last season and 1/3 of the season before that......??

Not sure if you've realised but the game has changed a fair bit since Alfie was chip and chasing, and Kevvie was retiring at the turn of the millennium.

Reynolds is like the first footy minded player that the club can actually utilise after he retires and instead they're allowing the public and the media to push him out of the club.
Well yes, I've been raising this concern since before Seibold arrived. I've been loathe to point the finger at Alfie, but our halves were shambolic before Reyno arrived, and I'm not sure we can say Reyno himself improved under Kevvie & Alfie's watch. I have never seen a worse rabble than Kevvie's musical halves rotation in 2021. So no, I don't think our best halves playing combo has made our best halves coaching combo.

As for Reyno, I agree with your points, but Madden, Rogers, Gamble, Billy and Ezra are products of Reyno's mentorship. The first two, at least, are not selling him as a tutor.

Fairweather.

Comments like this give me the shits, to be honest.

I've been supporting the club since day one. I fork out the money for memberships every year, I fork out hundreds for merchandise, I go to the games even when they're complete crap, I ride every high and every low and I hope every year that next year is going to be the year, I dedicate a lot of time running the social media for a fan page creating graphics and videos that cost me money, money I don't get back which I'm happy with.

But apparently I'm a fairweather fan because I don't want Kevvie as coach? Absolute fucking rubbish. The people dishing out that line are fucking idiots.
A fucking idiot eh? For an opinion? Get well and truly fucked. You piss and moan about this club more than any other person on this forum.
You claim to be this dedicated fan, but all i hear from you week in week out is sooking about one thing or another to the point where I question why the **** you do all this shit in the first place.
Go back over all your post this season in the game day thread and it is X team will beat the Broncos by X amount every single time without fail.
I've never seen a worse "fan" in all my life.
I too have followed the Broncos since their inception, but at least I'm not shitting on the club every chance I get.
Clown.

Bunn must be at least 60 ish now, why at that age would you leave a system you made and working with your son on the Sunshine Coast?

I was listening to Ponissi a few weeks ago and he was asked about if the Storm are looking at Stefano- his reply was not sure have to ask Bunny that one.

Surely you never leave that sort of autonomy and football environment.
Yet donuts appoints ikin to a HoF role and caves for Kevvie after he throws the toys out of the cot because he didn’t want to share. What exactly did Kevvie do to earn such overriding autonomy of the football department? Donuts should have said this is how it’s going to work, give clearly defined roles, and if Kevvie didn’t want to play ball he can quit.

‘Not how a rugby league team should run’: Former Broncos staffer’s insight into Kevvie’s culture

Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, joined Bill McDonald on 4BC Mornings to discuss how the Broncos culture under Kevin Walters is very different compared to when Wayne Bennett was in charge.
Burgess said under Kevvie’s leadership there were too many coaches, with almost a specific coach for every player and their gym looked more like a hairdressing salon. He said Kevin Walters’ coaching style was very much ‘his way or the highway’ and that you cannot compare him to Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire or Craig Bellamy.

Thoughts?

‘Not how a rugby league team should run’: Former Broncos staffer’s insight into Kevvie’s culture

Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, joined Bill McDonald on 4BC Mornings to discuss how the Broncos culture under Kevin Walters is very different compared to when Wayne Bennett was in charge.
Burgess said under Kevvie’s leadership there were too many coaches, with almost a specific coach for every player and their gym looked more like a hairdressing salon. He said Kevin Walters’ coaching style was very much ‘his way or the highway’ and that you cannot compare him to Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire or Craig Bellamy.

Thoughts?
I don't get how we can go from the spoon to a grand final under this system.
, which everyone seemed fine with, then be so heavily scrutinised when we have a less than ideal season.
Everyone is aware this season was decimated by injury right? We lost Reynolds to a blown bicep, Walsh to multiple head knocks and a busted hand, Haas to a foot injury, Cobbo and Arthur's as well as Maam at different stages of the season.
Up until last round with the Roosters injury toll, I'm pretty sure we were the team who copped it the worst through injury, losing a whole slew of our key players.
Not to mention the origin window.
Basically the polar opposite of the previous season.

Take any team in the comp and remove their spine and best forwards and they will end up the same as us.
But hey, let's all blame the coach.

Thoughts?
Wow, great listen but a very damning assessment of Kev and how he conducts himself with regard to training, fitness etc. What I got out of the comments were related to how he will simply not listen to anyone offering a different perspective and refuses to take any feedback. He will immediately dismiss the person/staff member. Got rid of Alex Corvo and Brett O'Farrell supposedly for them not being 'yes' men.

Too much pampering of the players, looking in the mirrors in the gym. Says Madge must be brought in. It seems so obvious to everyone but your board.

Pretty sure many on here have always questioned his coaching ability and mentioned the importance of getting good, quality assistants around him. Teo and Barrett ain't it.

If, by all appearances, something happened within the playing group and Kev hasn't been able to bring them together... Ok so he's not a technically great coach, but he's a culture/man-manager...but he can't get the players back on the same page either? So his strength is not even that...

So what DOES he offer then, other than being an old boy?
He loves the club !
You mean, there's more ?

Fukkk me, why don’t broncos go and sign these local 12 year olds then, delusional... Ezra, jock, Roger’s and Billy have all made massive improvements under Reynolds I really wonder what certain people see when they watch these games. It’s seems extremely unfair to bash and put the blame on the one bloke who clearly shows up each week and is our only player actually creating anything in attack. Are you Tallis in disguise?

Revisionist much ?
Maybe last year . This year Ezra / Jock / Rogers and Billy have all gone backwards .

You have a cpl of frothies and do the live game chat thread too ?

I refuse to believe any coach would be stupid enough to have a team coached to do any of those things.
Obviously no coach is coaching players to let little guys run free, tackle with arms only or stand around ball-watching, but a coach is responsible for making sure the players are meeting the required standard.

He is picking the blokes who are doing all the dumb things you mentioned and he has constructed the roster full of the blokes showing poor amounts of effort. He himself has said that the players aren't understanding what is required every week when pulling on a Broncos jersey.

I hope he can teach them what is required in the off-season or somebody at the club can figure out what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Revisionist much ?
Maybe last year . This year Ezra / Jock / Rogers and Billy have all gone backwards .

You have a cpl of frothies and do the live game chat thread too ?

Hahah. I don’t know mate, don’t you think it’s a coincidence that reyno is out majority of the year and the team goes to complete shit including the halves that clearly need him there as a mentor. Everyone seems to be bashing him for getting injured like he has any control over that. He carried us to the grand final and transformed our team as soon as he entered the club and now the fans are calling him a useless old **** and expecting miracles. Reynolds isn’t responsible for Billy being a shit player, Billy is.

One thing that has been glaringly obvious all season is Kev's denial or flat out blatant lying.
Any time any pressure related questions have been put to him, he always gives great lip service but you can genuinely feel that it's shit he is spitting out.
I'll take you back two weeks "We will be playing finals".
How could anyone make such a statement when the team was playing like they were? I don't buy this positive spin that he's been putting on everything because it creates a false sense. Not only for the fans but also the playing group.
We know that they're a pretty weak team and it's been laid bare for all to see that they just couldn't give a **** about anything. Telling them they will make finals allows the playing group to drop off that 5%. This group think they're rockstars, yet they have won absolutely nothing.
Imo this is where our season was over before it began (mentally) - all the media hype, all the social media articles about how the Broncos were morals for the 2024 premiership. Top down thought they had won the premiership before a ball was kicked without putting in the work. They had all bought into it.
It's not professional by any means. The entire club are back to being the laughing stock of the NRL.

Again, last night in the presser Kev said something along the lines of 'I have my ideas on what has gone wrong this season'.
So why not tell us what's gone wrong? Why hide it if you genuinely know?
The answer is he has no idea. He is clueless. If he knew, we wouldn't be anywhere near the position we find ourselves in.
Kev was an exceptional player, no doubts, but that automatically mean he will make a great head coach.

Kev has had his hands all over the roster. The choices to punt Flegler and Herbie were horrendous. Mariner doesn't offer 1/4 of what Herbie does. The purchases of Baker, Hunt and Gow proved to be shocking QCUP level buys.
And now we are ok to let Hetherington walk? Allowing Plath to go when he is streaks ahead of Billy, Paix and Smoothy. 1.2m(ish) for Walsh, offer him 1m max and say you're either in this with us or you're free to go. Honestly, wtf is going on with R&R. And don't get me started on life post Reyno because so far Madden, Rodgers and Mam have all proved that they don't deserve the 7 jersey. Again Kev has zero answers here.

Its time to face the truth, the facts, the stats and everything else and accept he isn't the man for the job moving forward. I think Kev would make a good assistant but that's it imo.
Club legend yes, head coach, no.
4 years in charge, 1 finals series. It's not good enough and the fall from grace within a 12 month period is genuinely mesmerising.

As much as I hated the Seibold era, we look like we are back there and the crazy thing is the talent in this team is miles ahead of what Seibold had to work with.

There is no way any of those players (expect son) were playing for the coach these last eight weeks.
I challenge anyone to prove that he hasn't lost the dressing room.

Wow, great listen but a very damning assessment of Kev and how he conducts himself with regard to training, fitness etc. What I got out of the comments were related to how he will simply not listen to anyone offering a different perspective and refuses to take any feedback. He will immediately dismiss the person/staff member. Got rid of Alex Corvo and Brett O'Farrell supposedly for them not being 'yes' men.

Too much pampering of the players, looking in the mirrors in the gym. Says Madge must be brought in. It seems so obvious to everyone but your board.

Not a shock, seeing as Ikin was sacked because Kev wanted full control.

Kev believes he is on par with WB & Bellyache.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Waynesaurus
  • phoenix
  • KickHaas
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Manofoneway
  • leon.bott
  • Fitzy
  • mitch222
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • TimWhatley
  • Pablo
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.