THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kev (or anyone else at the club) should be immune to criticism, but I don't think we should be calling for him to be sacked because we missed the eight.
I agree, I don’t think he should be sacked for missing the 8.

But shouldn’t he also be judged on team performance? Would like to see the stats tables, pretty sure we’d be one of the worst teams for most of the technical stuff.

I can forgive results but not the lack of direction, drive and improvement.

We’ve regressed, and unless there’s a big change in personnel for next year, can’t see that changing.

I live in hope, but not expectation.

What I want to see is the management really get under the hood, I don’t trust them to do this though.

Kev is clearly an issue but there is something clearly deeper. You don’t lose your ability to play football overnight, I want to see some heat on the players. Kev isn’t the one out there last night throwing arms out in tackles and letting small guys just walk through. Kev isn’t out there just standing and watching like Cobbo. Kev is t out there a losing contact like Sailor and kicking it on the second every set. I refuse to believe any coach would be stupid enough to have a team coached to do any of those things.

What I feel sorry for Kev with is the absolute trash depth he’s been given this year. Is any of that on him? Probably partly but who else too? Some of the ‘efforts’ of the players should be called out.

Maguire wont work anymore... he was the NSW coach in charge when Walsh got his head caved in and was throwing out support left right and centre for Suaalii.

If you think players were getting upset because a couple NSW players liked insta posts, but then think the coach that was in charge wont cause fractures everywhere you're crazy... the club could actually implode under Maguire

What I want to see is the management really get under the hood, I don’t trust them to do this though.

Kev is clearly an issue but there is something clearly deeper. You don’t lose your ability to play football overnight, I want to see some heat on the players. Kev isn’t the one out there last night throwing arms out in tackles and letting small guys just walk through. Kev isn’t out there just standing and watching like Cobbo. Kev is t out there a losing contact like Sailor and kicking it on the second every set. I refuse to believe any coach would be stupid enough to have a team coached to do any of those things.

What I feel sorry for Kev with is the absolute trash depth he’s been given this year. Is any of that on him? Probably partly but who else too? Some of the ‘efforts’ of the players should be called out.
Other than from Tallis, Reyno has somehow managed a free pass in all this. Whatever is broken, he's officially front and centre on the field. He might also have to be part of the "hard decisions." But again, like Kevvie, we don't have anyone better.

I agree, I don’t think he should be sacked for missing the 8.

But shouldn’t he also be judged on team performance? Would like to see the stats tables, pretty sure we’d be one of the worst teams for most of the technical stuff.

I can forgive results but not the lack of direction, drive and improvement.

We’ve regressed, and unless there’s a big change in personnel for next year, can’t see that changing.

I live in hope, but not expectation.
There is a big change in personnel coming: one of them is the coach in charge of one of the teams competing for the spoon this weekend. On a positive note, the Eels haven't been winning, but they haven't been thrashed by the margins we have.

Other than from Tallis, Reyno has somehow managed a free pass in all this. Whatever is broken, he's officially front and centre on the field. He might also have to be part of the "hard decisions." But again, like Kevvie, we don't have anyone better.

I'd argue this is kind of the point us 'old Kev supporters' have been arguing, just poorly I admit. Do I think Kevvie is the best coach around? Bluntly, no. Would I like a better coach? Absolutely, yes. Do I think that better coach though is currently available? Well based on what is out there, maybe maybe not and this is the reason I do not want to rush into a change. What is the point of a sideways movement? Keeping Kev on does in some way hold the players accountable and show them they won't always get what they want.

I'd argue this is kind of the point us 'old Kev supporters' have been arguing, just poorly I admit. Do I think Kevvie is the best coach around? Bluntly, no. Would I like a better coach? Absolutely, yes. Do I think that better coach though is currently available? Well based on what is out there, maybe maybe not and this is the reason I do not want to rush into a change. What is the point of a sideways movement? Keeping Kev on does in some way hold the players accountable and show them they won't always get what they want.
Reyno was so outclassed by his opposite number last night it's hard to keep pretending he's going to win us a premiership, especially when he's considered our ace. He really should not have been extended. He did the job he was hired to to do. Kevvie (R&R) failed in theirs: to succeed him.

I'd be OK with sacking KW if there was a proven option available, by which I mean so good, and so obvious, there'd be very little disagreement about it from anyone. Because I don't think we have that, and because Kev did take us to the GF in '23, I'm OK with him staying, but only if the right assistants are brought in. I'm afraid Teo isn't it, and obvious concerns about Barrett too.

WB once said "winning begins in the front office" although I think he credits someone else for saying that. It's clear our R&R staff have to go, they have been a bigger problem than Kev.

So with some decisive roster changes, a cleanout of the people that manage the roster, and the best assistants money can buy, I honestly think Kev can make it work. The problem is I have no confidence these changes will happen.

It's clear our R&R staff have to go, they have been a bigger problem than Kev.
The R&R definitely has to come under major scrutiny... the issue we have there is that there has been so much churn at that spot over the last few years already ... Nolan was rightly punted, which brought Ikin in... and then he was punted for Scanlon... and now we want to punt Scanlon.

The whole issue was white anting Ikin... these fucking idiot businessmen that run the football side think it's like running a business. They knifed Wayne twice and then knifed Ikin after head hunting him, but for what fucking reason??

Did these morons think that they know football and that Seibold was an upgrade and there would be no issues with knifing a club legend... or that Ikin should be knifed even though he's like the only one with contacts across the league and was able to bring astute signings in... he also at least had ideas on how to get something out of Kevvie by asking him "what do you want your team to actually look like?"... that allowed Ikin to target players that suit what Kevvie wants (Jensen, Capewell, etc.). There is zero footy IQ in the entire upper management area.

The whole place is silo'd and stale... acting like a business setup because the money keeps rolling in. Who's the guy in our club looking at what other clubs have and working towards getting the right people into the organisation.

The other issue is that the R&R team is also the department that's meant to be watching over and bringing through the junior guys from 15yr old onwards, etc. ... you're meant to be building trust with these players and their parents and if you're just chopping and changing all over the place then it looks like an unstable organisation... and that's not where parents want to send their kids.

I would be offering Bunn a blank cheque... he knows Qld and has contacts everywhere, and has been scouting for years... give him the keys to the department and let him utilise his knowledge and experience to reshape the whole setup.

I know everyone really wants to pile on Kevvie but even last year when we were flying, Kevvie was rarely cheering in the box and constantly saying areas we needed to work on. This is just an inconvenient truth when the pile on is in full swing.

Reyno was so outclassed by his opposite number last night it's hard to keep pretending he's going to win us a premiership, especially when he's considered our ace. He really should not have been extended. He did the job he was hired to to do. Kevvie (R&R) failed in theirs: to succeed him.

Reyno also played a large part in losing us the GF last year. He’s trending down unfortunately but I also do wonder how much of that is down to his arm injury.

I suspect he’ll come out firing for one last season. What we need to do is say no to a further extension if he asks for one. We also need to go after Sexton.

I know Walker is the dream and understandable too, we’d all love to get him but he’s more flash and expensive flash. We already have that in Mam and hopefully Walsh if he re-signs. Mozer and Sexton would provide the steady hand we need and would not cost anywhere near as much. It’s the kind of astute signing our club has not been making since Ikin left.

The R&R definitely has to come under major scrutiny... the issue we have there is that there has been so much churn at that spot over the last few years already ... Nolan was rightly punted, which brought Ikin in... and then he was punted for Scanlon... and now we want to punt Scanlon.
Even our feeder clubs were shithouse this season.

Reyno also played a large part in losing us the GF last year. He’s trending down unfortunately but I also do wonder how much of that is down to his arm injury.
Concern I'm having with Reynolds is that we should be lining him up as our long term halves coach... Everything he says suggests he doesn't want to leave Qld... but now we have dickheads like Tallis taking pot shots at him.

The moron doesn't realise how important of a person Reynolds could be in shaping players moving forward.

Coby Black is coming through and looks like he actually has a decent boot on him... but who the **** in the club is going to work with him to master that skill... who the **** in the club is going to help him with halves management skills.

Same goes for Walsh and Mam.

Reynolds first kick last night was a low skidding banana kick that almost got a 40/20... there's no other player in the league that is doing that... he is fucking elite in that area and can teach these kids everything he knows.

The unwarranted negativity around Reynolds is losing sight of what he can bring for the next 10-15 yrs as a long term coach at the club.

If we want to talk about the path this club should be taking it should revolve around keeping Reynolds around the place, not trying to force him out because the players around him are nowhere near his level.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • BRC088
  • teampjta
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • Howie
  • Jedhead
  • thenry
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • whykickamoocow
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  • maddo
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.