THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Whilst I don't think either will happen, I may be alone but of the 2 origin coaches I'd be more sickened by having Slater our coach than Madge. (As a QLD Broncos fan)
Really? i'd take Billy in a heartbeat over Madge.

Look I like Kevvie as a bloke, but I'm not sure how anyone could have watched all the games and press conferences this year and still think he is a good coach. We were out coached in pretty much every game we played this year. The games were did win, we did it through talent along. The longer he is coach, the more damage that will be done. Having a loaded team and Reynolds essentially coaching on the field clearly papered over a lot last year.

That ain't true. He's followed Bennett much like Darius. Bennett likes to oversee and leave the details to his unders. Bennett always wanted JD for us.

I just think that like Siebold, you learn a lot from your mistakes. I'm not asking him to be head coach, but coaching, he certainly can do. He would be an excellent addition to the team.

He's done very well this year, that's for sure.

Look I like Kevvie as a bloke, but I'm not sure how anyone could have watched all the games and press conferences this year and still think he is a good coach. We were out coached in pretty much every game we played this year. The games were did win, we did it through talent along. The longer he is coach, the more damage that will be done. Having a loaded team and Reynolds essentially coaching on the field clearly papered over a lot last year.
The only people who think he can coach are dreamers and optimists. The only defence of him anyone can offer is “But he made the grand final”. You can only judge on results and stats. All of the evidence suggests he can’t coach.

I think the clubs attitude towards rugby league and what they’re trying to achieve is the biggest issue at play here. We’ve kind of decided that we’re ok as long as we keep making money.

Probably a touch delusional and very arrogant going into every season. We’ve won nothing in almost 29 years and tbh that doesn’t look like changing.

In comparing this year to last, we were incredibly lucky with injury. Arey had a stellar year. Reynolds form was the key.

He made Billy and Mam look better than they are. He calmed Walsh.

Flegs was a bench player, as was

In comparing this year to last, we were incredibly lucky with injury. Arey had a stellar year. Reynolds form was the key.

He made Billy and Mam look better than they are. He calmed Walsh.

Flegs was a bench player, as was
Footy is easy if you actually want to have a crack. We didn’t want to have a crack

Can't underestimate how high confidence would have been among the group last year, to go with minimal injuries. Our depth was still not ideal past the top 20 or so last year, but we rarely needed them.

When we did, through origin or an injury here or there, confidence was so high among the group the newly injected player got a boost.

Not to mention, they knew they needed to impress because the player who's position they were filling would be back also full of confidence.

The 2 big ones I remember, sure Sailor wasn't a world beater last year, but he did his job at 1 in Walsh's absence, he showed bits of spark, did some things well, set up some tries. So much so people were calling early this season for him to be in the 17 each week.

Then Madden for Reyno, in and out here and there, he just did what we needed. Also some frustrating things but we knew he wasn't Reyno, and he didn't overplay his hand, let those around him show their spark. I remember the game against the Cows in NQ particularly as a very good outing for Jock where he came in at short notice and played very well.

Can't really think of a time this year where a depth option has come in and made anyone think they deserved a spot in the 17 at full strength. They were also coming in to a team very low on confidence which would make a huge difference.

Bit of Friday night rambling from me, just trying to be hopeful of next year if we can avoid so many injuries we might be okay...

Can't underestimate how high confidence would have been among the group last year, to go with minimal injuries. Our depth was still not ideal past the top 20 or so last year, but we rarely needed them.

When we did, through origin or an injury here or there, confidence was so high among the group the newly injected player got a boost.

Not to mention, they knew they needed to impress because the player who's position they were filling would be back also full of confidence.

The 2 big ones I remember, sure Sailor wasn't a world beater last year, but he did his job at 1 in Walsh's absence, he showed bits of spark, did some things well, set up some tries. So much so people were calling early this season for him to be in the 17 each week.

Then Madden for Reyno, in and out here and there, he just did what we needed. Also some frustrating things but we knew he wasn't Reyno, and he didn't overplay his hand, let those around him show their spark. I remember the game against the Cows in NQ particularly as a very good outing for Jock where he came in at short notice and played very well.

Can't really think of a time this year where a depth option has come in and made anyone think they deserved a spot in the 17 at full strength. They were also coming in to a team very low on confidence which would make a huge difference.

Bit of Friday night rambling from me, just trying to be hopeful of next year if we can avoid so many injuries we might be okay...
It’s how you act when it’s tough that really shows what you’re made of. No resilience whatsoever at this club. When it gets tough we fall in a heap

‘Not how a rugby league team should run’: Former Broncos staffer’s insight into Kevvie’s culture

Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, joined Bill McDonald on 4BC Mornings to discuss how the Broncos culture under Kevin Walters is very different compared to when Wayne Bennett was in charge.
Burgess said under Kevvie’s leadership there were too many coaches, with almost a specific coach for every player and their gym looked more like a hairdressing salon. He said Kevin Walters’ coaching style was very much ‘his way or the highway’ and that you cannot compare him to Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire or Craig Bellamy.
Great honest interview with someone who has witnessed what is going on first hand.
Makes sense and explains why the broncs have gone to shit this season..

I wonder when the wrestling coach and corvo got the arse..

Broncs have been losing the ruck big time this year compared to last year.
Melbourne and a lot of teams at the back end of this season have dominated them and where marching up the field, pretty much what the broncs we’re doing to most teams all last year..
The forwards have definitely struggled to make metres and create space for the backs most of the year compared to last year too, even with out injuries..

Something is rank in Denmark.

I wonder if there is anyone there that can deliver some brutal truths to Kevvie so he can change that set up..
Sounds like they get punted out the door if they do though..

Jeez I will laugh if we come back next season and win a premiership under Walters.
You lot will be missing for weeks.

Kev has the support of the board and the players, just lacks the support of supposed Bronco fans.
Funny how no one was calling for him to be sacked this time last year.

The term fair-weather and fickle comes to mind with some of you.
I'm thinking that 2023 Broncos team could have made it to the GF without a coach.. The team was stacked to the gills.

‘Not how a rugby league team should run’: Former Broncos staffer’s insight into Kevvie’s culture

Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, joined Bill McDonald on 4BC Mornings to discuss how the Broncos culture under Kevin Walters is very different compared to when Wayne Bennett was in charge.
Burgess said under Kevvie’s leadership there were too many coaches, with almost a specific coach for every player and their gym looked more like a hairdressing salon. He said Kevin Walters’ coaching style was very much ‘his way or the highway’ and that you cannot compare him to Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire or Craig Bellamy.

Thoughts?
It’s the drones! even when it was the shit coaching I knew it was the drones! 😂

I understand the sentiment of soft gyms make soft players etc, but I don’t believe the majority of NRL or AFL clubs don’t operate with similar resources these days, they all have fancy high performance centres.

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • davidp
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Aldo
  • Brocko
  • Shane Tronc
  • GCBRONCO
  • the_next
  • Foordy
  • HVbronco
  • broncsgoat
  • thenry
  • Old Mate
  • Allo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.