Possible Broncos Nines tournament team

A

azza

NYC Player
Jun 30, 2013
All Stars cancelled as Nines is born | News.com.au

As news comes of the Nines tourny happening next year I was wondering what the Broncos team would look like and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Now who would you go for, not sure how it works but I saw somewhere 5 forwards and 4 backs.
Would we go for more agile forwards or what? If we pick up both those guys our chances must be fairly decent.

Milford*
Barba*
Hodges
Hoffman
Gillette
Alex Glenn
Sam Thaiday
McGuire?
Parker?

Last edited:
these tournaments never get the big names, more than likely it would be a u20s-athon, only have to look at the world 7s of days gone

ok well, you may probably be right. But we can still imagine the possibility I guess. Would be a good thing to watch if they got behind it

ok well, you may probably be right. But we can still imagine the possibility I guess. Would be a good thing to watch if they got behind it

the theory sounds good, id take a guess and say maybe a few names would play so the nrl dosnt look stupid ditching the all stars but these are the same players complaining they play too much and it would be a hinderance during pre season, rules hodges out straight away lol

I think I heard the teams must include at least one marquee player

Be interesting to see what happens in terms of a Broncos squad.

My gut feel is that it would be a mix of our fringe first graders with some thrown in for match fitness coming off an injured season like Copely. If we had to provide one marquee signing i have no doubt it would be either Barba or Milford should we sign them.

I dont think there is any chance we would field Thaiday, Parker and definately not Hodges.

Could be a great opportunity for Yow Yeh to get a run if he is at that stage of his recovery.

I think I heard the teams must include at least one marquee player

Yeah I heard on Triple M that one of your top 5 players must be included. I would hazard a guess that the rules would also stipulate X number from the top 25. Does anyone know how it works with reserves? Surely there must be a bench to allow for injuries, so maybe a 12-man squad?

I agree about mobility. In terms of the power/speed/mobility balance, I'd agree with McGuire, Parker & Glenn (in fact Glenn would be top of that pile IMO). Speedsters are a no-brainer, so Barba & Milford would be made for it. Hunt would be the obvious half, and if there's a hooker equivalent it would have to go to Granville or Baptiste.

1. Barba
2. Yow Yeh
3. Hoffman
4. Milford
5. Hunt

6. Glenn
7. Gillett
8. Mcguire
9. Dodds/Oates

this is a privately promoted tournament.. think wannabe new zealands answer to kerry packer, its just a sideshow, players already get good $ so this wont be the next world series cricket, more an exhibition, professionals dont do pre season exhibitions, the all stars on the other hand was a community thing where nines are financial gain

Last edited:
yea, there's no way you'd risk Hodgo. I think Glenn and Gillett are made for it. We have a pretty good team despite recent results but we don't have the individual talent of other squads. Manly or Storm would dominate if the teams were to actually consist of the best players from each club.

Why do so many people think the team is unfit? Parker and McGuire are fitness machines, every team has some unfit players IMO.

Assuming BB and AM are with us, they're shoe-ins. Gillo definitely and McGuire. I'd throw someone like Big Dave (or similar) in there if he's fit and he's ready to rumble. With four less players he could do some real damage running at halfbacks with no bodyguards there. Imagine what the Burgess boys will do.

Pretty sure 9's squad has to have a certain % of top 25 NRL including the 1 of top 5 paid players. Also every player in the squad has to play at least one game. I'd imagine they'd have a group of 13-15 players

My team/squad would be

Milford*
Barba*
Hoffy
Kemp (if he's still contracted and fit) or Joe Bond (same deal)
Kahu
Hunt
McGuire
Gillett
Hala (only 18 minute games. Surely he could last every second game)
Tasi
Glenn
Granville
Oates
Reed

I don't know how the Rugby league nines entirely works but at any given time I think you would want two forwards, a dummy half, one half, fullback, two wingers and centres. Plus 5 players on the bench.

Fullback: Ben Barba/Anthony Milford
Wings: Josh Hoffman, Jack Reed
Outside Centre: Jordan Kahu
Inside Centre: Joe Bond
Half: Ben Hunt
Forwards: Corey Parker, Alex Glenn
Hooker: Jake Granville

Subs:
Matt Gillett
Andrew McCullough
Corey Oates
Dale Copley
Sam Thaiday

comp is a stupid idea imo and i wouldnt want any of our 'stars' playing it.

After 4 years the All Stars concept felt on the wane, it's a good idea to try something different but you're not going to see the 9 best players from each club..

Active Now

• Sanjit Joseph
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Jazza
  • MasterWright
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.