Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Are you surprised?
A little... I thought all 3 would get suspensions... I have no idea how Hopgood has managed to escape considering how many they've been throwing around all year and his was the absolute text book of a hip drop.

There was even a second tackler up top... so he intentionally lifts his legs in a two man tackle to bring him to ground.

Hopgood's tackle could've easily resulted in an MCL injury to Paix with the amount of pressure to the side of the knee... it was basically the same type of tackle that he got injured in last year during the raiders game.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Question is do we cop both on the chin and just go in to next game with extra motivation.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Fight the Haas charge. RCG went from standing when Haas initiated contact to falling to his knees before the contact that Payne is being charged with happened. Haas also kept his feet so showed RCG a "duty of care" (lol at using this term in the context of a football game).

The Mam one is harder to challenge because the definition of a hip drop isn't clearly defined and the NRL can just say "he swung around, dropped his body weight, and hit the back of his legs!" without acknowleding the context or reason for that contact occuring in the first place.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Was Haas even put on report? He wasn't even penalized.

Broncos should absolutely fight it.
A risk 2 weeks? The only way I see we fight these is with a guilty plea and fight the grading. Then worst case we get a week each. But let's be honest, they won't downgrade either, they don't play for a Sydney club.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Well let’s assume both are out, I’d go with this:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Madden
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Hetherington
16. Taupau
17. Piakura

Though I expect it’ll be Palasia. Still a strong team and we are good enough to get it done.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
It shows that the NRL have got no clue what a hip drop is themselves and will change anything and everything to suit what looks good.

In F1 they have a great analogy when something that happens that causes a driver to crash or whatever and there is no real person at fault apart from the issue being unavoidable they call it a ‘racing incident’. We really need to introduce a ‘footy incident’ mindset to some of these tackles cause they are straight up unavoidable. But at the end of the day in 20 years time when they all cop the disadvantages of living very comfortably off contact sport, it’s the NRL that is liable and so the game suffers as a result.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
Well let’s assume both are out, I’d go with this:

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Madden
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Flegler
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Paix
15. Hetherington
16. Taupau
17. Piakura

Though I expect it’ll be Palasia. Still a strong team and we are good enough to get it done.

Keep Jensen on the bench. Patty to 8 and Hethrington to 13.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I honestly am astounded how the only bloke who intentionally committed a hip drop who also has a history of this offence is the bloke who gets off. Whilst Ezra’s unintentional, mild and first offence of any kind gets 1-2 weeks and Payne not an illegal tackle, unintentional and just about first charge of any kind in 90 odd first grade games in the lowest disciplined position gets 1-2 weeks. It is so, so, so poor. Look if they want to crack down on hip drops, I don’t agree to the severity, but fine. However the way in which they have adjudicated 3 hip drops in the one game and this is the inconsistent ruling is a travesty and farce. I’m in disbelief how poor a system could possibly work.

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
Rest old man Reynolds, he has earned it. It's most likely a loss anyway, have him fresh for manly and storm when we have hass and mam back. We need those wins more.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
I fully expect this clown organization to have a media conference defining hip drop tackles the day after Haas and Mam are suspended and under that definition neither would be. They'll just shrug their shoulders and go "Bad luck Broncos".

Mitchell_Broncos

Mitchell_Broncos

NRL Player
Jun 21, 2016
This is going to really test us.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Rest old man Reynolds, he has earned it. It's most likely a loss anyway, have him fresh for manly and storm when we have hass and mam back. We need those wins more.
Brisbane can win this game. Madden and Hetherington/Palasia will step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ostin86
  • broncsgoat
  • john1420
  • Foordy
  • RolledOates
  • HarryAllan7
  • bazza
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.