NEWS Pre-season Challenge 1: Broncos 24 drew Titans 24

ScreenFoVs2M1aYAE6UDT

NRL Pre-season Challenge 1: TITANS - Feb 12, 7:05pm (Sunshine Coast)

Broadcast on Fox/Kayo only.

What on earth is a 'pre season challenge' and how is it different from a trial?

Apologies if this is well known, I did see the NRL post something about a 'pre season challenge' but I dismissed it as an unimportant waste of time (like everything V'Landys implements)
First year it's being televised. Simply trying to hype it up and give more people a reason to watch.

Apologies if this is well known, I did see the NRL post something about a 'pre season challenge' but I dismissed it as an unimportant waste of time (like everything V'Landys implements)

Turns out I knew what it was and the thread title still didn't register - just figured it meant this was the first real challenge of the pre-season. Bit disrespectful to Wynnum, I thought, but not wholly unjustified.

First year it's being televised. Simply trying to hype it up and give more people a reason to watch.
Meanwhile the 9's appears to have been quietly shelved.

Belcher:

"In a big city like Brisbane where they are a big team in town, it’s important Reece doesn’t get carried away. I saw so many kids coming through the Broncos and they think they are superstars before they have done anything. The minute they have played five games for the Broncos, everyone is patting them on the back. That doesn’t help immature young players, there is so much potential at the Broncos, but the most important part of the job is keeping your feet on the ground. In the case of Reece Walsh, he can’t get carried away with his importance and position at the Broncos. He is another piece of the puzzle. If he plays every game and gets Brisbane to the finals, you can get excited about that, but Reece has a hell of a long way to go.”​
“I know the Broncos let Tesi go but Reece is the classier of the two. It was a mixed year for Reece last year. He was really good at times and it probably reflected the way his side went. There’s a bunch of great fullbacks in the NRL, you look at Papenhuyzen at Melbourne and James Tedesco at the Roosters. It has become the go-to position now, but Reece has to be careful because he has a long way to go in his career. You look at the consistency of James Tedesco, that’s what Reece should be aiming for. He needs to be doing it year upon year and that’s when people can say, yes he’s a great player. At the moment, he is a good player with a lot of potential.”​
“Reece is a key part of the solution to get the Broncos to the finals. They were virtually a finals team last year and then fell off a cliff, so with Reece Walsh and Taupau coming in, I’m sure they can be a top-eight team. Reece is Brisbane’s key off-season buy and he is maturing, he is getting older and he will get better. I know he has some defensive issues but you can fix that and work on that. He has speed and skill and he has gifts a lot of players haven’t got. He has the footy smarts. I think he can be outstanding for the Broncos."​
“I like the pure speed that Reece has. Not all fullbacks have that raw speed, but Reece can really motor and he is not afraid to get in there and have a crack. He is still only young, so his best years are ahead at the Broncos.”​

It's a $100,000 giveaway with bonus points for tries, line-breaks and offloads.

12 points for a win
6 points for a draw
0 points for a loss

1 point for 5+ tries
1 point for 5+ line-breaks
1 point for 10+ offloads

If teams finish on first, it comes down to whatever team finishes out on top of this sequential order

Points Differential
Most Tries Scored
Most Goals Kicked
Most Field Goals Kicked
Least Penalties Conceded

Before finally...

A toss of a coin.

12 points for a win
6 points for a draw
0 points for a loss

1 point for 5+ tries
1 point for 10+ offloads

If teams finish on first, it comes down to whatever team finishes out on top of this sequential order

Points Differential
Most Tries Scored
Most Goals Kicked
Most Field Goals Kicked
Least Penalties Conceded

Before finally...

A toss of a coin.
I guess there's no harm in it, but I can't help but feel the point is to give everyone in your squad the chance to try out for the team, rather than to rack up a big win. Otherwise, we might as well ditch the trials and go straight to the season proper.

As a spectator, it's great. But the trials aren't meant to be about us.

12 points for a win
6 points for a draw
0 points for a loss

1 point for 5+ tries
1 point for 10+ offloads

Points Differential
Most Tries Scored
Most Goals Kicked
Most Field Goals Kicked
Least Penalties Conceded

Before finally...

A toss of a coin.
I’ve seen an early proof of the coin they’ll use to determine who wins.

Heads:
F9975617 373F 4E77 A297 1FE322A3370A

Tails:
86C00616 C509 4904 879D 3EB618512B89

I guess there's no harm in it, but I can't help but feel the point is to give everyone in your squad the chance to try out for the team, rather than to rack up a big win. Otherwise, we might as well ditch the trials and go straight to the season proper.

As a spectator, it's great. But the trials aren't meant to be about us.
We were speculating about it over on the NRL boards. It sounds like the NRL is testing whether there's any interest in a pre-season comp and see if teams take the trials more seriously. There may have also been pressure from Fox to add some stakes and give something for their commentary team to keep track of etc.

Also worth noting that teams can name up to 28 players for Week 1 and 26 players for Week 2.

We were speculating about it over on the NRL boards. It sounds like the NRL is testing whether there's any interest in a pre-season comp and see if teams take the trials more seriously. There may have also been pressure from Fox to add some stakes and give something for their commentary team to keep track of etc.

Also worth noting that teams can name up to 28 players for Week 1 and 26 players for Week 2.
Yeah but the 28 players is because this is the trial game where most teams play the type of players we did against Wynumn to give a reward for the hard efforts over the summer. I don’t think it will influence any change in the way we select our side for these remaining 2 trials

Bloke in a Bar preview. Consensus that 9 is the issue, but still the denial he's already been picked:

It's basically just trials as they were but incentivised. Each game get points for a win and bonus points for stupid shit like tackle breaks or something (can't remember don't care) and the team with the most points get 100k.

I guess they are trying to get teams to play more of their top guys but coaches aren't going to change their preseason plans for a possible 100k. The upshot will be quality coverage of the trials so I don't see it as a negative.

Bloke in a Bar preview. Consensus that 9 is the issue, but still the denial he's already been picked:

Dude, not a single person is disagreeing with you. We need to improve our 9, but we have been asking you this for months now and we never get a response that shows you know any more than some dork on Twitter. How do we improve the position? It wasn't Turpin, it isn't Paix, it might be Smoothy but he has to do far more than look good against Q Cup players to show he's an improvement. So what is it? Maybe you can post something someone on Twitter has said because it seems that if it's not from a Badel column, that's where the rest of your opinions are created.

IdiotIt's a $100,000 giveaway with bonus points for tries, line-breaks and offloads.

12 points for a win
6 points for a draw
0 points for a loss

1 point for 5+ tries
1 point for 10+ offloads

Points Differential
Most Tries Scored
Most Goals Kicked
Most Field Goals Kicked
Least Penalties Conceded

Before finally...

A toss of a coin.
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF
You are a disgrace to this game. Dog breeding fuckhead PVL f*** you!

Well I can tell you a few players who aren't playing in the main game on Sunday - Carrigan, Capewell, Oates & Haas. They're all playing in the 'connect RL' curtain raiser game.

Matt Gillett, Steve & Kerrod Walters & Jack Reed also playing in that one.

Travis Meyn:

"Cory Paix will get first crack at Brisbane’s No. 9 jersey as coach Kevin Walters prepares to roll out a star-studded team for the Broncos’ first proper trial. Paix will start at hooker ahead of Billy Walters against the Gold Coast Titans at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Sunday night. The dummy-half duties are the only position seemingly up for grabs in Brisbane’s best 17, with Walters to run his eye over Paix and his son Billy. Reece Walsh will start at fullback while Walters is also expected to play prop Payne Haas, who sat out last year’s World Cup to recover from shoulder injuries."​

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Skyblues87
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • heartly87
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Jazza
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Big Del
  • GCBRONCO
  • lynx000
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.