NEWS Pre-season Challenge 1: Broncos 24 drew Titans 24

ScreenFoVs2M1aYAE6UDT

NRL Pre-season Challenge 1: TITANS - Feb 12, 7:05pm (Sunshine Coast)

Broadcast on Fox/Kayo only.

Can't gauge too much from that except that our reserves are pretty weak this year and hooker is still a problem.

It's hard to argue, at the time we had to fend off the likes of Canterbury to re-sign him and he's barely even cracked the first grade side, even on an extended interchange.

I recall Barrett saying something along the lines of "they've got a good one" when he conceded that Canterbury wouldn't be signing him however years later, we're still waiting.
Parker was also very high in his praise of him, something like 3 years ago saying he was every bit a first grader already and was ready. I've only been disappointed with him but he could be a late bloomer if he gets some regular games back to back.

If they choose to be consistent with it, hey why not but we all know they won't be.

Just an FYI.

The key wording is obvious separation and it'll be interesting to see how that standard is tested through out the season.

I would have been curious to get their thoughts on the Staggs No Try vs. the Bulldogs. Reynolds doing a Hodgo - I'm still annoyed Kotoni bombed it.

Just an FYI.

The key wording is obvious separation and it'll be interesting to see how that standard is tested through out the season.

I would have been curious to get their thoughts on the Staggs No Try vs. the Bulldogs. Reynolds doing a Hodgo - I'm still annoyed Kotoni bombed it.

So it all depends on the resolution of the footage that the bunker has?

Awesome

yes I’m aware this has always been the case with the video ref over the years, but we’re in the age of 4K and super-duper slo-mo. The word ‘obvious’ shouldn’t come into it

So it all depends on the resolution of the footage that the bunker has?

Awesome

yes I’m aware this has always been the case with the video ref over the years, but we’re in the age of 4K and super-duper slo-mo. The word ‘obvious’ shouldn’t come into it
I'd prefer 'complete separation' to give the officials less wriggle room.

My concern is that you'll get an official who will look at it in normal or even faster speeds and determine that based on those speeds it isn't obvious. Even though clearly on slow-mo he's lost it.

However, we're going to have to accept that dodgy tries like Khan-Pereira's are going to be given.

Very underwhelmed by all 3 hookers, Paix was good and next minute bad, the other two offered nothing.

Mariner and Frei stood out for me And big Marty looks the goods. Was not impressed with O’ofou though, very lazy and we paid for it numerous times.

Not writing Piakura off but I want see more. He’s in that funny stage where he doesn’t deserve a spot but same time he needs a first grade spot to get the fire going.

Gus was telling the story of Brian Fletcher’s debut. He was in reserve grade and he showed flashes but was lazy and constantly made low percentages plays. The reserve grade coach was going to drop him which Gus begged him not to do but he insisted so instead Gus called him up to first grade to give him a push. Really think he needs something like that. Otherwise we need to hit the market. Remember the days we had too many second rowers?

Isnt piakura only 20 or something? Wouldnt be writing him off just yet probably part of that gen that have had their developement stalled by covid

Isnt piakura only 20 or something? Wouldnt be writing him off just yet probably part of that gen that have had their developement stalled by covid
Yeah 21 in a couple of months

We’re not writing him off necessarily, just that he’s not been worth the hype and contract value we eventually paid. And while that’s also on Broncos management for forking out that much, he needs to start showing something when he gets his chances.

Tonight was about a 55/45 -NRL/QCup split and he was still invisible

Yeah 21 in a couple of months

We’re not writing him off necessarily, just that he’s not been worth the hype and contract value we eventually paid. And while that’s also on Broncos management for forking out that much, he needs to start showing something when he gets his chances.

Tonight was about a 55/45 -NRL/QCup split and he was still invisible
I guess the end of this year they will have to make a call on him and where he sits in the pecking order 400k a year after the cap increase this year is a bit better though.

Very underwhelmed by all 3 hookers, Paix was good and next minute bad, the other two offered nothing.

Mariner and Frei stood out for me And big Marty looks the goods. Was not impressed with O’ofou though, very lazy and we paid for it numerous times.

Not writing Piakura off but I want see more. He’s in that funny stage where he doesn’t deserve a spot but same time he needs a first grade spot to get the fire going.

Gus was telling the story of Brian Fletcher’s debut. He was in reserve grade and he showed flashes but was lazy and constantly made low percentages plays. The reserve grade coach was going to drop him which Gus begged him not to do but he insisted so instead Gus called him up to first grade to give him a push. Really think he needs something like that. Otherwise we need to hit the market. Remember the days we had too many second rowers?
O'ofou was good early, but he is clearly not at NRL speed, especially the longer time he spent on the field. He was a lot better than many expected and is pretty honest with himself as to his flaws, so I'm sure he will work on it. I wouldn't say we paid for it too badly, though.

The lack of playmaker with the ball and the lack of ball in general in the second half is not the ideal way to judge a lot of these lower-level players, but it definitely gives the coaches areas to focus on.

I'm still keen to see more, but he won't be dethroning Hetherington or Patty at 13. He does give us future depth with good raw bones in a pinch, IMO. He runs straight and hard and he tackles hard, and he will improve with squad training time.

Ahearn proved to me over the last 2 games that he has no business in the halves.
Harsh, but fair. He could have stepped up, but really did not organise much of anything. As I said during the match, we were looking for the fullback and hooker to do anything during the attacking sets and Ahearn was often just playing as a link man and not much else.

Harsh, but fair. He could have stepped up, but really did not organise much of anything. As I said during the match, we were looking for the fullback and hooker to do anything during the attacking sets and Ahearn was often just playing as a link man and not much else.

Seems to be just another version of Tyson Gamble.......only without the aggression and cult hero status.

Please merge

Obviously Walsh was in a class of his own and we saw flashes of brilliance from many of the second string, most notably that banana kick from Sailor. But I was more concerned with what we didn't see from our established stars.

We were clearly the better side with Haas, Farnworth, Staggs and Mam on the field, but I was underwhelmed by all. I was expecting more from Herbie, in particular. Maybe all the post world cup got to me, but he was pretty much as I remember him from 2021, not a progression from 2022. I'm not saying he did anything wrong or let us down. But I was expecting to be blown away by his awesomeness. I wasn't.

I wasn't expecting to think this, but it's possible Mam's grasp on 6 mightn't be as strong as I presumed. Neither Staggs nor Haas elevated beyond the most muted expectation.

Despite bagging a couple of tries, and being one of our most endearing players off the field, I'm not sure we'll see much more of Jordan Pereira. Particularly with Mariner in the wings, literally. Quai-Ward didn't press his case strong enough for me.

Al that out of the way, the scoreline would've looked massively different with Oates and Cobbo looming wide, particularly on the end of Reynold's boot. Of which, it's worth mentioning the Titans were sharper than expected. Boyd, particularly along with some of the young talent like Kini and Jojo Fifita.

The hooker dilemma is exactly as it was last year. We can argue all which ways, but we don't have a satisfying fix. Or at least we're not being presented one by this coaching setup.

All our hookers sucked. Smoothy was gassed after 2 mins. Paix looked like a slow robot trying to run. Walters had the vision to see markers offside but too slow. Hoping Mozer magically develops quickly and is ready very early. Hope he gets a run next week

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Astro
  • MrRobot
  • Scorchie
  • Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.