NEWS Pre-season Challenge 1: Broncos 24 drew Titans 24

ScreenFoVs2M1aYAE6UDT

NRL Pre-season Challenge 1: TITANS - Feb 12, 7:05pm (Sunshine Coast)

Broadcast on Fox/Kayo only.

The performance was far more impressive than what Reece chucked up in 21' its only just that Reece was an 18 year old who hadn't played organised footy in over 12 months and had never played against grown men whilst Tristan is 24. 3 try assists and a try is better than what Reece did however only thing is Wynnum chucked out a better side back then.
I was blown away by Walsh's presence and confidence more than anything else. He looked like the captain.

I'd say Mariner looked like he was a level above too, number 5 also.
Oh yes.... Mariner was very good as well. But he is still hoping for an eventual release and with no immediate spots available = he'll probably be granted one sooner rather than later.

You were more impressed with Johnson than Leota?

Yeah I was. That isn't to say Leota wasn't impressive either, he was. Johnson just seemed to go looking for work, reminded me of a young Oates. That try he scored, yes look poor opposition, but he just didn't give up and had to do some impressive work to get there.

Oh yes.... Mariner was very good as well. But he is still hoping for an eventual release and with no immediate spots available = he'll probably be granted one sooner rather than later.

Yeah I know, it is pretty sad. Apparently he has already asked for a release previously and it was denied.

Anyway, I would like to think that both Cobbo and Kotoni will be told to up their games because Mariner and Johnson are one bad game away from taking your spots.

Yeah I was. That isn't to say Leota wasn't impressive either, he was. Johnson just seemed to go looking for work, reminded me of a young Oates. That try he scored, yes look poor opposition, but he just didn't give up and had to do some impressive work to get there.
I'll keep saying it: we have the best roster of backs in the league. None are the best in their position, but collectively (when you include depth) I don't think anyone can touch us.

That said, I'm not sure Quai Ward is earning his place in our top 30. Not that he's bad, but we have so many options who are missing out.

I'll keep saying it: we have the best roster of backs in the league. None are the best in their position, but collectively (when you include depth) I don't think anyone can touch us.

That said, I'm not sure Quai Ward is earning his place in our top 30. Not that he's bad, but we have so many options who are missing out.

Yeah man, back depth isn't the issue, forward depth is.

Yeah I know, it is pretty sad. Apparently he has already asked for a release previously and it was denied.

Anyway, I would like to think that both Cobbo and Kotoni will be told to up their games because Mariner and Johnson are one bad game away from taking your spots.
Selwyn will have plenty of bad games if last year is anything to go by. Or at least, plenty of errors. Not sure how I'd rate his entire season. Bit of a rollercoaster.

Yeah man, back depth isn't the issue, forward depth is.
Not sure. Depends how much the kids have matured.

Haas, Carrigan, Flegler and Capewell would start in any top 4 team.
Then it goes off a cliff.
Still not bad though.

Not sure. Depends how much the kids have matured.

Haas, Carrigan, Flegler and Capewell would start in any top 4 team.
Then it goes off a cliff.
Still not bad though.

That's the issue in my view. Our starters are great (well on the proviso Riki and Capewell aren't playing busted again) and our bench is also right up there. However, once you get an injury or three, we are in to kids again. The jury is still out on Piaks, plus he seems to be a walking injury, as does Willison. Te Kura looks pretty special but he is still just a kid. Bayliss-Brow has been solid in his progression but still an inexperienced kid. Palasia has probably already checked out.

But as you said, a forward pack of:

8. Flegler
10. Haas
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

15. Taupau
16. Jensen
17. Hetherington

This is up their in the top five of the comp I'd argue.

Selwyn will have plenty of bad games if last year is anything to go by. Or at least, plenty of errors. Not sure how I'd rate his entire season. Bit of a rollercoaster.

Hopefully he is already on thin ice too and is being told to become professional or go to Redcliffe. I love Cobbs, don't get me wrong, it is just that Mariner looks really special and continues to improve. Kotoni of course is the other one and that is probably the issue with the right side in general, they will have games where they will demolish anyone and then games where they are barely Q Cup level.

I'm expecting something like...

1. Reece Walsh
2. Jordan Pereira
3. Deine Mariner
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Ethan Quai-Ward
6. Josh Rogers
7. Jock Madden
8. Corey Jensen
9. Billy Walters
10. Martin Taupau
11. Keenan Palasia
12. Brendan Piakura
13. Thomas Flegler

14. Cory Paix
15. Logan Bayliss
16. Shalom O'Ofau
17. Ben Te Kura
18. Tristan Sailor
19. James Johnson

I'm going to presume Patrick Carrigan, Kurt Capewell, Payne Haas, Ezra Mam, Corey Oates, Adam Reynolds & Kotoni Staggs are all rested.

Jesse Arthars, Selwyn Cobbo and Jordan Riki are all on All-Stars duty. Also Mozer, Willison and Hoeter aren't expected back till the start of the season and Robati has been stood down.

I'm expecting something like...

1. Reece Walsh
2. Jordan Pereira
3. Deine Mariner
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Ethan Quai-Ward
6. Josh Rogers
7. Jock Madden
8. Corey Jensen
9. Billy Walters
10. Martin Taupau
11. Keenan Palasia
12. Brendan Piakura
13. Thomas Flegler

14. Cory Paix
15. Logan Bayliss
16. Shalom O'Ofau
17. Ben Te Kura
18. Tristan Sailor
19. James Johnson

I'm going to presume Patrick Carrigan, Kurt Capewell, Payne Haas, Ezra Mam, Corey Oates, Adam Reynolds & Kotoni Staggs are all rested.

Jesse Arthars, Selwyn Cobbo and Jordan Riki are all on All-Stars duty. Also Mozer, Willison and Hoeter aren't expected back till the start of the season and Robati has been stood down.
According to Kev, Ezra will play. The reason he was ruled out is because he doesn't have a passport and can't travel to Rotorua for the All-Stars clash. Walsh, Walters and Paix were all confirmed as well.

Brisbane will want to figure that passport situation out ASAP, they'll be without their Origin stars when they travel to NZ.

I'd also expect that squad to be around 24 players like last year. The bigger names will play 30-40 with the second tier playing the rest.

What on earth is a 'pre season challenge' and how is it different from a trial?

Apologies if this is well known, I did see the NRL post something about a 'pre season challenge' but I dismissed it as an unimportant waste of time (like everything V'Landys implements)

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.