Pre-season

I didn’t criticise his kicking. What I did say was that he kicked exactly 100 times in 2020, which when you consider he provided virtually nothing else all season, equates to around $10,000 per kick.

In fact, the only thing I did criticise by way of highlighting, was that he provided virtually nothing else. So it would appear, on that at least, we might agree.

Only after you asked for some perspective did I go on to actually critique his kicking - which, despite what you’ve put forward, I still believe is a more than fair criticism.

And sure, I would agree that Milford is a better kicker now than 2015. He can also have games where he kicks very well. But if you step back and judge him against his peers he is simply far, far too inconsistent and is absolutely light years behind Cleary, Reynolds, DCE and even Pearce.

I recall there was at least a couple of games this season we could have won had we simply kicked to the corners and controlled the speed of play, time in play and field position. But Milford, with his sub-par tactical kicking, put up mid-field bomb after mid-field bomb. It honestly infuriated me at the time. I could certainly be wrong, but I feel the Cronulla game might have been one of them.

All that aside, and referring to your other post; I do find it strange that the go-to move of far too many on here when someone criticises a favourite player of theirs is to whip out the a-word: agenda.

Why must someone have an agenda simply because they criticise a player. It makes me wonder; is it an agenda to expect more of the highest paid, most experienced and positionally critical players whilst cutting the rookies some slack? If so, then I (like it might be fair to say you do with Boyd (as do I)), most certainly have an agenda with Milford.

Even if I don’t agree with it, I truly appreciate your contribution to this forum, but did think you were above trotting out the agenda dribble.

What, have you got some kind of agenda against agendas?

The kickers went to Richmond for coaching this season. It didn’t seem to help a lot.
All we learned from Richmond apparently was the party boy behaviour and a sense of entitlement and ego which is largely deserved if you're a multiple Premiership winning Tiger, but certainly not if you're a spoon winning Bronco.

I think they went there for defence training, ball carrying and overall ‘structure’ too, by the looks of this season...
We certainly fumbled like an AFL side this year.

Milford and Croft were also top shelf at kicking the ball directly at people trying to mark it. They might have been on the opposite team but at least the kicks were still extremely easy to catch.

Last edited:
I didn’t criticise his kicking. What I did say was that he kicked exactly 100 times in 2020, which when you consider he provided virtually nothing else all season, equates to around $10,000 per kick.

In fact, the only thing I did criticise by way of highlighting, was that he provided virtually nothing else. So it would appear, on that at least, we might agree.

Only after you asked for some perspective did I go on to actually critique his kicking - which, despite what you’ve put forward, I still believe is a more than fair criticism.

And sure, I would agree that Milford is a better kicker now than 2015. He can also have games where he kicks very well. But if you step back and judge him against his peers he is simply far, far too inconsistent and is absolutely light years behind Cleary, Reynolds, DCE and even Pearce.

I recall there was at least a couple of games this season we could have won had we simply kicked to the corners and controlled the speed of play, time in play and field position. But Milford, with his sub-par tactical kicking, put up mid-field bomb after mid-field bomb. It honestly infuriated me at the time. I could certainly be wrong, but I feel the Cronulla game might have been one of them.

All that aside, and referring to your other post; I do find it strange that the go-to move of far too many on here when someone criticises a favourite player of theirs is to whip out the a-word: agenda.

Why must someone have an agenda simply because they criticise a player. It makes me wonder; is it an agenda to expect more of the highest paid, most experienced and positionally critical players whilst cutting the rookies some slack? If so, then I (like it might be fair to say you do with Boyd (as do I)), most certainly have an agenda with Milford.

Even if I don’t agree with it, I truly appreciate your contribution to this forum, but did think you were above trotting out the agenda dribble.
@rnabokov; I thought more about this after I woke up this morning.

I agree; yes Milford can kick well, but if we aren’t permitted to criticise his kicking game, then his very good kicking performances should be the rule, not the exception. Further, I think that’s more than fair to expect of someone with as much experience as him, who is paid as our marquee player in a marquee position and has had huge amounts of time and money poured into his development in this very area.

We really should have to think long and hard to find a poor example, not highlight the few good games where he did it well.

And that’s about all I have to say about it (famous last words 🤣) 👍

Last edited:
What, have you got some kind of agenda against agendas?
Now you mention it, it would appear I do 🤦‍♂️🤣

69A65033 3E3A 416A AB42 879441630D8E

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Milf can kick well.

He is adequate at kicking. That's it. How many 40/20's does he have? How many times have you seen him kick and find grass, or put it over the wingers/fb's head in field? Not often.

Short kicking he is a bit better but again, he's not exactly world class at this either.

Last edited:

He is adequate at kicking. That's it. How many 40/20's does he have? How many times have you seen him kick and find grass, or put it over the wingers/fb's head in field? Not often.

Short kicking he is a bit better but again, he's not exactly world class at this either.
He kicked the first 20/40 of the year but was cruelled by the touch judge. He's not the best kicker in the league but as always looking at players as an individual can have flaws. How many other teams had one long kicker who so often got the ball off their back foot with less than ideal service after a slow play the ball with fresh, set defenders able to rush straight at him knowing there was only one likely kicking option?

Milf may or may not be great ever again but I'm happy enough to see how he goes next year under a different coach. Last year pretty much every player sucked, in 2019 it was only marginally better.

He kicked the first 20/40 of the year but was cruelled by the touch judge. He's not the best kicker in the league but as always looking at players as an individual can have flaws. How many other teams had one long kicker who so often got the ball off their back foot with less than ideal service after a slow play the ball with fresh, set defenders able to rush straight at him knowing there was only one likely kicking option?

Milf may or may not be great ever again but I'm happy enough to see how he goes next year under a different coach. Last year pretty much every player sucked, in 2019 it was only marginally better.
IMO even in the years prior, he wasn't a great kicker.

I get that yes he was definitely up against it this year with the way we went, but your comment also smacks of what's typical about Milf, there's always a reason why xyz.

Like you I'm happy to give him a go under the new coach, we have no choice anyway, but I'm not holding my breath. More than happy to be proven wrong, but I fear I won't be.

He was above average in 2018, very good kicking game. Completely disappeared the next year.

He was above average in 2018, very good kicking game. Completely disappeared the next year.
one good year indicates an anomaly more than anything else.

anyway, i won't drone on. prove me wrong milf. i want @broncsgoat to be clowning on me come end of 2021.

one good year indicates an anomaly more than anything else.

anyway, i won't drone on. prove me wrong milf. i want @broncsgoat to be clowning on me come end of 2021.
It was a flaw in his game that was improving under a competent staff and game plan - he's been diabolical since the end of 2018 in all facets.

I won't be clowning on anybody when Milf returns to his normal self.

Last edited:
To
All we learned from Richmond apparently was the party boy behaviour and a sense of entitlement and ego which is largely deserved if you're a multiple Premiership winning Tiger, but certainly not if you're a spoon winning Bronco.
To be fair the tigers didn't appear to knock it on quite as much as we did. Perhaps those kicking seasons down there left us confused on the exact rules of propelling the ball forward. Easy enough to do if you show the aptitude to make "Dumber and Dumber" look like a broncos seasons wrap-up of 2020.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.