Pre-season

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31...king-sessions-at-brisbane-lions-reap-rewards/

Milford's indoor kicking sessions at Lions reap rewards​

"Milf is not a natural kicker of the ball so it has been a couple of years of hard work with him, and it is a credit to him with the time and effort that he has put in on his own when no-one is looking,” Richards told NRL.com.

"A lot of his practice has been on days off. People have said in the past that he is not a great trainer but they don’t see all the stuff he does in his own time.

"We had to spend a lot of time on his technique, his ball drop and his strike of the ball with a lot of short distance repetitive-type drills."

There it is! Pre-season bingo!!! He's training great, primed for a big season, rinse and repeat.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31...king-sessions-at-brisbane-lions-reap-rewards/

"Milf is not a natural kicker of the ball so it has been a couple of years of hard work with him, and it is a credit to him with the time and effort that he has put in on his own when no-one is looking,” Richards told NRL.com.

"A lot of his practice has been on days off. People have said in the past that he is not a great trainer but they don’t see all the stuff he does in his own time.

"We had to spend a lot of time on his technique, his ball drop and his strike of the ball with a lot of short distance repetitive-type drills."
That's from 2018!!

Although to be fair it could've been any of the ones from 2015-2020 and I'm sure there's every chance a new one is done for 2021

Last edited:
That's from 2018!!

Although to be fair it could've been any of the ones from 2015-2020 and I'm sure there's every chance a new one is done for 2021
It certainly is from 2018. It was my reply to the inference that Milford can't kick, and that he is lazy, which he was to an extent in '20 along with almost the entire fucking team

Last edited:
There it is! Pre-season bingo!!! He's training great, primed for a big season, rinse and repeat.

No, not quite, Seibold is conspicuously absent, probs doing impressions of Hugo Chavez's ghost in another thread.

Last edited:
I just know someone will be thinking 2018 was when Milford got player of the year

I actually wasn't thinking that at all. I was thinking more how without Milford in 2020, our kicking game was either invisible, or shit

Legit could have assumed this was from 2020 and been none the wiser

I actually wasn't thinking that at all. I was thinking more how without Milford in 2020, our kicking game was either invisible, or shit
Out of interest, I looked it up:

Milford kicked the ball exactly 100 times in 2020.

Seeing he did ****-all else, that’s a paltry $10,000 per kick.

Out of interest, I looked it up:

Milford kicked the ball exactly 100 times in 2020.

Seeing he did ****-all else, that’s a paltry $10,000 per kick.

He had what, 9 appearances or thereabouts at 5/8, played a lot of his games injured, and still outkicked (Av. metres) - nearly or double, those of Keary, Cody Walker and most other 5/8's who all played 20-21 times. Jack Wighton's av. was about 80m less in 20 appearances - . Milford over about 9 games: av kick meters 359. Wighton 276 and Cody Walker - 101

Milford's form was largely shit in '20, but a little perspective please in criticism.

Last edited:
He had what, 9 appearances or thereabouts at 5/8, played a lot of his games injured, and still outkicked (Av. metres) - nearly or double, those of Keary, Cody Walker and Jack Wighton who all played 20-21 times.

Milford's form was largely shit in '20, but a little perspective please in criticism.
That’s fair, I’m more than happy to provide a little perspective.

None of the players you mention were the primary kicker for their team.

Which made me ask myself, how did Milford stack up against the other primary kickers of each team? In short, not well.

Indeed, in the same number of games, Lachlan Lewis, playing for the only other team who was as close to being as diabolical as us, kicked almost 80% further, or close to 2,500m more.

Milford was also only infinitesimally better, statistically, than Croft or Dearden, who most criticise relentlessly for being poor kickers.

So to me, that does not particularly support your original comment that without Milford, our kicking game was invisible or shit.

Last edited:

Which made me ask myself, how did Milford stack up against the other primary kickers of each team? In short, not well.

Indeed, in the same number of games, Lachlan Lewis, playing for the only other team who was as close to being as diabolical as us, kicked almost 80% further, or close to 2,500m more.

Milford was also only infinitesimally better, statistically, than Croft or Dearden, who most criticise relentlessly for being poor kickers.

So to me, that does not particularly support your original comment that without Milford, our kicking game was invisible or shit.

How did Milford stack up against the other primary kickers of each team? Probably the same as we did, as a team and individually, on every metric. Not real good. Crap actually.

My point was simply to say that Miford's kicking game is the last thing I would choose to criticise, in the circumstances of our '20 season. And yes, I say again, without Milford, poor as he was, our kicking game was invisible, or shit. I just don't happen to have an agenda against Milford.

The kickers went to Richmond for coaching this season. It didn’t seem to help a lot.

And, comparing apples with apples, in the game against the 'Dogs, Milford absolutely controlled that game with his kicking. He showed what he is capable of, kicking wise. We won it largely on the back of his kicking game, against a team that overall, as you say, was not quite as shitty as we were.

In no game without Milford did Croft or Dearden even come close to controlling a game, which is exactly why they are poor kickers.

By all means criticise Milford for his faults, but don't say he is a poor kicker, again, in the context of the undisciplined, unfit, unstructured rabble, especially the spine, that were the 2020 Broncos.

Last edited:
And, comparing apples with apples, in the game against the 'Dogs, Milford absolutely controlled that game with his kicking. He showed what he is capable of, kicking wise. We won it largely on the back of his kicking game, against a team that overall, as you say, was not quite as shitty as we were.

In no game without Milford did Croft or Dearden even come close to controlling a game, which is exactly why they are poor kickers.

By all means criticise Milford for his faults, but don't say he is a poor kicker, again, in the context of the undisciplined, unfit, unstructured rabble, especially the spine, that were the 2020 Broncos.
I didn’t criticise his kicking. What I did say was that he kicked exactly 100 times in 2020, which when you consider he provided virtually nothing else all season, equates to around $10,000 per kick.

In fact, the only thing I did criticise by way of highlighting, was that he provided virtually nothing else. So it would appear, on that at least, we might agree.

Only after you asked for some perspective did I go on to actually critique his kicking - which, despite what you’ve put forward, I still believe is a more than fair criticism.

And sure, I would agree that Milford is a better kicker now than 2015. He can also have games where he kicks very well. But if you step back and judge him against his peers he is simply far, far too inconsistent and is absolutely light years behind Cleary, Reynolds, DCE and even Pearce.

I recall there was at least a couple of games this season we could have won had we simply kicked to the corners and controlled the speed of play, time in play and field position. But Milford, with his sub-par tactical kicking, put up mid-field bomb after mid-field bomb. It honestly infuriated me at the time. I could certainly be wrong, but I feel the Cronulla game might have been one of them.

All that aside, and referring to your other post; I do find it strange that the go-to move of far too many on here when someone criticises a favourite player of theirs is to whip out the a-word: agenda.

Why must someone have an agenda simply because they criticise a player. It makes me wonder; is it an agenda to expect more of the highest paid, most experienced and positionally critical players whilst cutting the rookies some slack? If so, then I (like it might be fair to say you do with Boyd (as do I)), most certainly have an agenda with Milford.

Even if I don’t agree with it, I truly appreciate your contribution to this forum, but did think you were above trotting out the agenda dribble.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.