Pre-season

It’s similar to the ‘it’s just a game’ debate.

Some people are OK with it, others irate. Those who are fine with it will argue that the context makes it OK, but a reasonable argument can also be made that the easiest way for it to be a non-issue is to simply not say / do it.

Someone once told me that regardless of the intent of your words / actions, your audience may very likely interpret it differently. This is no more true than for public figures.
Think about it this way, Nathan Hindmarsh’s final game was a 29-8 loss to the dragons in a season where the eels won the wooden spoon. If he does a gender reveal at full time no one is angry, in fact it’s a very heartwarming moment, and a silver lining to a nightmare send off for one of the games greats.

No one was angry at Nathan for making it all about him when he kicked a penalty goal at full time that game.

I don’t think the gender reveal was a sign of not caring about the terrible season, or the ugly ending, or even a selfish act. I think the biggest crime committed by Darius and whoever else behind the gender reveal was to be painfully unaware just how little respect fans of the club had toward Darius by that point. Nathan Hindmarsh he is not.

I've just had a look at next season's draw. It's distincly possible that Kevvie could be staring down a 0-6 start to hi coaching reign at the Broncos poor bastard. Don't think they could have made it any harder if they tried at the NRL. Parra first up at home so new coach, new team, new attitude it would be great to start with their scalp.

I've just had a look at next season's draw. It's distincly possible that Kevvie could be staring down a 0-6 start to hi coaching reign at the Broncos poor bastard. Don't think they could have made it any harder if they tried at the NRL. Parra first up at home so new coach, new team, new attitude it would be great to start with their scalp.
At least we got a Sunday game or two but fmd, so many Thursday/ Friday night games again.

Think about it this way, Nathan Hindmarsh’s final game was a 29-8 loss to the dragons in a season where the eels won the wooden spoon. If he does a gender reveal at full time no one is angry, in fact it’s a very heartwarming moment, and a silver lining to a nightmare send off for one of the games greats.

No one was angry at Nathan for making it all about him when he kicked a penalty goal at full time that game.

I don’t think the gender reveal was a sign of not caring about the terrible season, or the ugly ending, or even a selfish act. I think the biggest crime committed by Darius and whoever else behind the gender reveal was to be painfully unaware just how little respect fans of the club had toward Darius by that point. Nathan Hindmarsh he is not.
I simply disagree that the gender reveal was not selfish or not considerate of our poor season. It was in extremely poor taste and totally ignorant to how it would be received.

Hindmarsh kicking a penalty goal is a send-off, a career sign-off / exclamation point if you will, and is actually part of RL and its fabric (it has been done numerous times before). I can’t speak for anyone else, but had Boyd done that, I wouldn’t have made a peep. Now I am certain the Darius apologists will claim that’s not true, but I can’t do anything about that.

A gender reveal on the other hand has nothing to do with rugby league and is, quite simply, ‘all about me’.

Anyway, that’s just how I feel.

I do understand the point you are trying to make, and if there was an example even remotely similar to the gender reveal that supported your point, I would concede. But fact is, no one else has been stupid enough to pull a stunt like that, so there isn’t.

All that said, I do agree that Boyd is no Nathan Hindmarsh. Hindmarsh was always considered the heart and soul of the team. The bloke who always turned up when he was needed. Rightly or wrongly, there have always been question marks around Boyd when it came to this. Had he retired a few years ago, things may very well have been different. Sliding doors.

I also obviously can’t comment on how Eels fans would have responded had Hindmarsh done the same, but I’d be pretty surprised if at least a small portion weren’t particularly fond of it. But we can only speculate on that too.

Last edited:
I simply disagree that the gender reveal was not selfish or not considerate of our poor season. It was in extremely poor taste and totally ignorant to how it would be received.

Hindmarsh kicking a penalty goal is a send-off, a career sign-off / exclamation point if you will, and is actually part of RL and its fabric (it has been done numerous times before). I can’t speak for anyone else, but had Boyd done that, I wouldn’t have made a peep. Now I am certain the Darius apologists will claim that’s not true, but I can’t do anything about that.

A gender reveal on the other hand has nothing to do with rugby league and is, quite simply, ‘all about me’.

I do understand the point you are trying to make, and if there was an example even remotely similar to the gender reveal that supported your point, I would concede. But fact is, no one else has been stupid enough to pull a stunt like that, so there isn’t.

All that said, I do agree that Boyd is no Nathan Hindmarsh. Hindmarsh was always considered the heart and soul of the team. The bloke who always turned up when he was needed. Rightly or wrongly, there have always been question marks around Boyd when it came to this. Had he retired a few years ago, things may very well have been different. Sliding doors.

I also obviously can’t comment on how Eels fans would have responded had Hindmarsh done the same, but I’d be pretty surprised if at least a small portion weren’t particularly fond of it. But we can only speculate on that too.
smashed it out of the park IMO.

One thing I would like to make clear that perhaps I didn’t touch on in my posts - I am definitely not a fan of Darius.

One thing I would like to make clear that perhaps I didn’t touch on in my posts - I am definitely not a fan of Darius.
All good.

Honestly, I wasn’t in favour of him returning to the club but he did perform exceptionally well in 2015 and ‘16 to prove me wrong. I truly never thought he would make a captains arsehole, but was happy to support him in the hope he would again prove me wrong. In that regard, to put it bluntly, he didn’t.

As many have pointed out, he simply played on too long and destroyed any kudos he had earned with a lot of his detractors, me included, as well as what would have otherwise been a very healthy legacy - one littered with stories of success and overcoming adversity.

It really is a shame, as I do think there are a lot of good things to take away from his career, not only from a football perspective but regarding his battles with mental health as well. Unfortunately for Boyd though, just about all of his most recent decisions / memorable moments have only added fuel to the raging dumpster fire that is his final few rollercoaster years playing for the Broncos.

Gees, I’ve rambled on and am not sure I’ve really added anything. Time to stop.

Hard to have an impact with seedyballs running the show. Say what you want but he has value to the club .
**** off

The state of the Broncos 2019 and 2020 season capitulations are as much Boyd's fault as it is Seibold's.

Seibold is a good coach. Just was the wrong time for him at a club like the Broncos with the roster we had.

He severely underestimated the challenge of fortifying a tough team culture, which was constantly being undermined by poor attitudes in Darius, Milford and other senior players. Bare minimum was enough for those guys. Oh well it's just a game was the mantra.

Think it is "just a game" to Melbourne players? No. One player knocks it on and the don't sleep for a week.. and you can tell they don't cause Bellyache would likely call them at 3am yelling at them to wake the **** up and get better.

I hope kevy does well. But I am seriously worried about the state of the culture in the place and he may also be next in line to fall on their sword. He's a polish guy - same as Seibold. They're the type of coaches who come in to a situation, that is already somewhat a hard rock, and they just smoothen out the edges. I don't think Walters has what it takes to churn something solid from complete mush.

Judging from the vision there was roughly 20 players who took part in today's session. From what I saw I can confirm the following players:

Jesse Arthars
Ethan Bullemor
Brodie Croft
Tom Dearden
Jamayne Isaako
Josh James
Tesi Niu
Cory Paix
Keenan Palasia
Tevita Pangai Jr
Jordan Riki
Reece Walsh

From the training photo gallery

Brendan Piakura
Tom Flegler
Kobe Hetherington
Issac Luke
Tyson Gamble

They also have photos of Milford and Glenn at training.

I'm pretty sure the player I was having trouble IDing was Norths Devil's hooker Callum Gahan.

201138-preseasonwk1-18.jpg

Who is this next to Pangai?

201138-preseasonwk1-25.jpg

Who is the unit at the back with the tattoos?

Brendan Piakura
Tom Flegler
Kobe Hetherington
Issac Luke
Tyson Gamble

I'm pretty sure the player I was having trouble IDing was Norths Devil's hooker Callum Gahan.

Last one looks like Taumalolo haha

Brendan Piakura
Tom Flegler
Kobe Hetherington
Issac Luke
Tyson Gamble

I hope Isaac is just there to help out at training and that we haven’t re-signed him.

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncoFan94
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.