Pre-season

I hadn't heard about the car crash until now but yeah from the description that might throw a spanner in the works. Poor bugger.

McCullough is still in Newcastle today. You’d think he would be one player you’d want there on day one to instil some kind of training ethic. Maybe the car crash has set them back a few days or something.

Man I’d love to just somehow bring in Gagai, Allan, Capewell and Grant.

Even just Allan, I'd be over the moon, any others would be icing on the cake. Of course, Grant is the dream.

Devil is in the detail with a lot of the salary cap fandangling. The Broncos have been cursed with someone who doesn't understand mathematics it seems, front loading (player options) contracts is no recipe for a balanced player roster... or is it back loading? Point is you end up paying $2 in salary cap space for $1.50 in playing talent.

These player signings (Mead etc) might be wizardry if they are depth signings on sensible dollars, time will tell.

Last edited:
Devil is in the detail with a lot of the salary cap fandangling. The Broncos have been cursed with someone who doesn't understand mathematics it seems, front loading (player options) contracts is no recipe for a balanced player roster... or is it back loading? Point is you end up paying $2 in salary cap space for $1.50 in playing talent.

These player signings (Mead etc) might be wizardry if they are depth signings on sensible dollars, time will tell.
Yep agreed, slim pickings for this year. Grab a few astute signings on small deals and build for 21 , with a good hit list.

Yep agreed, slim pickings for this year. Grab a few astute signings on small deals and build for 21 , with a good hit list.
Thing is we’re paying for all sorts of people that aren’t here anymore. Not just talking players and salary cap but coaching staff etc and real money. Forget the salary cap for a minute, we had to pay out Bennett for his naming rights, Demetriou who Sourhs didn’t want (hehe) until we paid him out. Seibold, Cross is also trying to get his pound of flesh and I’m sure would be others in the background.
Coupled with a small profit we just don’t got no money to splash about.

Thing is we’re paying for all sorts of people that aren’t here anymore. Not just talking players and salary cap but coaching staff etc and real money. Forget the salary cap for a minute, we had to pay out Bennett for his naming rights, Demetriou who Sourhs didn’t want (hehe) until we paid him out. Seibold, Cross is also trying to get his pound of flesh and I’m sure would be others in the background.
Coupled with a small profit we just don’t got no money to splash about.
For 2022 ? We should be clear of bird Milford and macca , im sure there is more but we'll definitely be in a position to splash some cash.

For 2022 ? We should be clear of bird Milford and macca , im sure there is more but we'll definitely be in a position to splash some cash.
Yes I hope so, this year ‘rebuild’ next year ‘recoup’ - and start all over again. Feel sorry for KW. **** of a spot to be in for your first NRL coaching position.

Yes I hope so, this year ‘rebuild’ next year ‘recoup’ - and start all over again. Feel sorry for KW. **** of a spot to be in for your first NRL coaching position.
Yeah but at least he can build the team that he wants and put the building blocks in place, also get a real good look at what he's working with. It all takes time

IMO, he's actually in a better position (at least to build his roster) than Seibold was ... because the majority of our problem contract have either ended or will end after his first year ... giving him plenty of room to move and build the side he wants

McCullough is still in Newcastle today. You’d think he would be one player you’d want there on day one to instil some kind of training ethic. Maybe the car crash has set them back a few days or something.
He suffered a very serious and season ending injury so he's very likely still not recovered from it and wouldn't be at training anyway.

Well it looks like Joe O did indeed turn up to training.

Not really my point
Then I've clearly missed it because you were speculating about it being to do with a car accident and I was just letting you know he's had a major injury and isn't likely to be doing pre-season work if he's still in recovery and rehab.

Also, the border between Queensland and NSW is still closed so that might be part of it too because I'm guessing he's been outside the bubble and wouldn't be exempt like other players.

Last edited:
Also, the border between Queensland and NSW is still closed so that might be part of it too because I'm guessing he's been outside the bubble and wouldn't be exempt like other players.

I think it is only greater Sydney suburbs that our borders are closed to ... he could also go into 2 weeks of hotel quarantine if he had to (i'm sure he could afford it)

Then I've clearly missed it because you were speculating about it being to do with a car accident and I was just letting you know he's had a major injury and isn't likely to be doing pre-season work if he's still in recovery and rehab.

The borders aren’t closed for people travelling for work with border passes and I doubt Newcastle is a hot spot, so that’s not an excuse.

I figured he’d be up here earlier considering his contract has begun with us and I don’t expect him to be training but being a positive influence for the young players, as was said in my follow up comment that was posted well before you responded.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Wolfie
  • Pablo
  • Skathen
  • NSW stables
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Sproj
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Maddy
  • bb_gun
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • cento
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.