Pre-Season

Ezra Mam has packed on 5 kilos of pure muscle, is training the house down and is looking to lift aspects of his game:

“Just more so the volume of my voice I think; sometimes I get the calls right but I’m just not loud enough. That’s something I have to learn this pre-season. Hopefully I’m working on it as much as I think I am and the forwards are hearing me, so I can get my calls right, be vocal and loud and relay those messages.”​
“It’s good having Reece there — being a left foot kicker on the left side of the field he obviously has more time to get that strike, so me and him just have a chat about who will take which kick in which areas depending on the systems we’re up against. Reece has got a big mouth on him so it’s good to have him on the field, you can always hear him. That’s good for us and will only help in the long run with his communication.”​

“I’ve never really heard of the "second-year slump" before, that’s new to me. It’s my second year so I’m just going to do what I did last year and try to work and improve on that. I’ve got another pre-season under my belt and I’m doing much better this pre-season than last year. I’m focusing on staying consistent with my reads at training and being able to take the collision now. Being my second year I’ll probably get targeted more."​
“I think for me the main lesson was getting my decisions right on the field and certain calls I should have taken, and that’s just a big learning step being my first year. I’ve come in this year ready to learn and Reyno has been a big help in that part.”​

Ezra Mam has packed on 5 kilos of pure muscle, is training the house down and is looking to lift aspects of his game:

“Just more so the volume of my voice I think; sometimes I get the calls right but I’m just not loud enough. That’s something I have to learn this pre-season. Hopefully I’m working on it as much as I think I am and the forwards are hearing me, so I can get my calls right, be vocal and loud and relay those messages.”​
“It’s good having Reece there — being a left foot kicker on the left side of the field he obviously has more time to get that strike, so me and him just have a chat about who will take which kick in which areas depending on the systems we’re up against. Reece has got a big mouth on him so it’s good to have him on the field, you can always hear him. That’s good for us and will only help in the long run with his communication.”​

“I’ve never really heard of the "second-year slump" before, that’s new to me. It’s my second year so I’m just going to do what I did last year and try to work and improve on that. I’ve got another pre-season under my belt and I’m doing much better this pre-season than last year. I’m focusing on staying consistent with my reads at training and being able to take the collision now. Being my second year I’ll probably get targeted more."​
“I think for me the main lesson was getting my decisions right on the field and certain calls I should have taken, and that’s just a big learning step being my first year. I’ve come in this year ready to learn and Reyno has been a big help in that part.”​
I hope he doesn't bulk up too much at the risk of losing speed, agility and aerobic fitness. He didn't seem to struggle with the physicality of the game so I would be hesitant to bulk him up for the sake of it.

I hope he doesn't bulk up too much at the risk of losing speed, agility and aerobic fitness. He didn't seem to struggle with the physicality of the game so I would be hesitant to bulk him up for the sake of it.

I agree; interesting to see how he comes back this pre-season. When he did his first one last year I thought he started the season really really slowly and against the Dolphins I thought he was cooked.

He ran 15m and just didn't want the ball. Souths didn't score a point and Simbiken destroyed him.

He made his debut and found his feet but then lost them again at the end.

he may have bulked up a little, but according to him he's only 87kg

Reading between the lines it seems Ezra may have been guilty of getting his calls wrong towards the end of the year. Though, he did say he thought he was getting them right but the issue was his calls were not loud enough for others to hear. I’m sure having Walsh bellowing constantly behind him will drive him on to be louder and more confident next year.

He does have an xfactor about him. If he continues on the same trajectory I think we’ll have a real gun half in a another season or two.

Nrl Physio - Ankle injuries becoming a bit of a recurring issue for Payne Haas - at least his 5th in the past 4 seasons. Unlikely to be a concern re NRL games though - 3 months til Round 1 kicks off & even a worst case high grade syndesmosis injury + surgery would have him right in 2 months

Not that this would happen during the time he’s on field but at least this should now be factored in the amount of minutes he stays on the field. He shouldn’t be burned out week in week out where he’ll be prone to further damaging his ankles.

Not that this would happen during the time he’s on field but at least this should now be factored in the amount of minutes he stays on the field. He shouldn’t be burned out week in week out where he’ll be prone to further damaging his ankles.
They also showed in the games that he didn't play in last year, that they are able to still play well when he is not on the field.

I'd like to help Kevvie with the bench usage. kevvie mate, you are woeful at this, so use this as a template (adjust as needed with injuries, etc)

8. Haas (start to 30 on / 55-80 on) 2 interchanges
9. Smoothy (jokes) - Walters (0-40 on) 1 interchange
10. Flegler (start to 20 on / 60-80 on) (2 interchanges)
11. Capewell (80 minutes)
12. Riki (if you must) (0-55 minutes) (1 interchange)
13. Carrigan (start to 25 on / 50-80 on) (2 interchanges)

14. Paix (40 mins)
15. Hetherington (30-40 mins)
16. Jensen/Palasia/Robati/Willison/Bayliss-Brow/Whoever (20-40 mins)
17. Robati/Piakura/Te Kura (whatever is left)

And look, there are probably massive flaws in this but the point is, keep those games where these guys need to play above and beyond the usual minutes to literally games where they NEED to play above and beyond due to injuries, etc, not every single week to the point where they get burned out like last season.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.