Pre-Season

The best coaches clearly define roles and give players direction. It doesn’t mean you can’t consider other options if someone clearly out performs the other. I also don’t care who the 2 hookers are that Kev chooses - they’re all sub-optimal, it was just an example.

But a good coach would tell his spine players early that they have the role and get everyone used to playing with each other. The second guessing and constant chopping and changing is horrible coaching.

The rugby league adage that gets repeated by successful coaches since the dawn of time is “pick your halves early and commit to them” and I think hooker these days deserves the same philosophy

Even the back-to-back premiers don't have a defined hooker for the 2023 season. that will need to be determined during the pre-season and trials.

and to your point ... Cleary would be considered one of the best coaches(at least since he arrived at the Panthers for the second time)

Even the back-to-back premiers don't have a defined hooker for the 2023 season. that will need to be determined during the pre-season and trials.

and to your point ... Cleary would be considered one of the best coaches(at least since he arrived at the Panthers for the second time)

I get your point but they do, Luke has been earmarked as their future 9 for ages.

I get your point but they do, Luke has been earmarked as their future 9 for ages.

yet Mitch Kenny has been Api's understudy for years.

(not directed entirely at you) butjust because Kevvie hasn't had a press conference to declare that player X has one the hooking role, doesn't mean he hasn't told the players behind closed doors who the favourite is (and told him it's his to lose, and the others it's theirs to take).

I'm actually kind of glad he hasn't ... imagine he comes out and says that Billy was the front runner ... the the broken records on BHQ would go into over drive. it wouldn't be as bad if he declared Paix or Smoothy as the front runner, but it would still get very repetitive around here

yet Mitch Kenny has been Api's understudy for years.

(not directed entirely at you) butjust because Kevvie hasn't had a press conference to declare that player X has one the hooking role, doesn't mean he hasn't told the players behind closed doors who the favourite is (and told him it's his to lose, and the others it's theirs to take).

I'm actually kind of glad he hasn't ... imagine he comes out and says that Billy was the front runner ... the the broken records on BHQ would go into over drive. it wouldn't be as bad if he declared Paix or Smoothy as the front runner, but it would still get very repetitive around here
Sometimes actions speak louder than words. I love your romantic fairytale possible twist in the story that perhaps his mind isn’t made up though.

Firstly, they do. secondly, you’re ignoring the fact they just lost their first choice hooker who needs replacing. Our hookers played 50 odd games last season

No issue if he does a little chopping and changing during the trials, that's part of what they're for (although I would hope he has a fair idea at this point), but if he's still chopping and changing into the season...I'll throw hands.

Unfortunately the narrative is there for the media to feed off any time Reynolds gets injured, has an off game or even has an early shower if the opportunity ever arises.

Unless he delivers us a premiership the storyline will always be along the lInes of he was to old, to big a risk, on to much money. The follow up story will be souths made the right decision going with youth and Brisbane should never have let Tommy D go.

Not the first time we'll hear Reynolds is broken beyong repair and won't be the last.

You can guarantee if the roosters or storm sign him after his Brisbane deal the narrative goes from broncos sign broken down has been to rejuvenated leader perfect fit for savy storm

Dave Ballard:

"Adam picked up a knock to the leg in contact at training but it's not serious - he will return to training this week. Payne sustained an ankle sprain and has already begun his rehab. He will return to running this week."​

Unfortunately the narrative is there for the media to feed off any time Reynolds gets injured, has an off game or even has an early shower if the opportunity ever arises.
His missing games and playing busted did turn into a disaster for us last season. We don't want a rerun of that. Our team relies on his leadership. When he's firing, we're firing.

His missing games and playing busted did turn into a disaster for us last season. We don't want a rerun of that. Our team relies on his leadership. When he's firing, we're firing.
The problem isn’t that we’ve signed an older player that may miss games, the issue is we have put all our eggs in 1 basket as the rest of our spine is extremely inexperienced - even more so this season then last.

Our entire spine depth outside of Reynolds have a combined 168 NRL games (Mam, Walsh, Madden, Walters, Paix, Mozer, Niu, Smoothy). Almost 100 less than Adam. I think we’ll miss Martin or Gamble if something were to happen to Adam.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds (c)
9. Paix
14. Smoothy (later in the season - Mozer maybe)

That's a pretty good spine to build moving forward but yeah, very green aside from Reynolds.

1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds (c)
9. Paix
14. Smoothy (later in the season - Mozer maybe)

That's a pretty good spine to build moving forward but yeah, very green aside from Reynolds.
I do hope the option is still there to elevate Smoothy from Development, but I can't see anyone but Billy being our starting 9. I can't imagine a scenario short of injury that could elevate anyone else.

Of which, if Adam is injured early on I'd rather him sit it out and return fit for the second half of the season than run the risk of another 2022 rerun. I'm looking forward to seeing Madden getting a shot sooner or later, though not the situation that might compel it.

The problem isn’t that we’ve signed an older player that may miss games, the issue is we have put all our eggs in 1 basket as the rest of our spine is extremely inexperienced - even more so this season then last.

Our entire spine depth outside of Reynolds have a combined 168 NRL games (Mam, Walsh, Madden, Walters, Paix, Mozer, Niu, Smoothy). Almost 100 less than Adam. I think we’ll miss Martin or Gamble if something were to happen to Adam.
I agree we will miss gamble and Martin but gamble wouldn't add much experience. Martin did for sure though.

certainly it is worrying that we got rid of them both + Kelly and even turpin at the same time. None of them great but that is a lot of experience in the spine in 1 go.

Would have LOVED to have kept Martin as a back up, and the club would have too. But we aren't the Roosters, the warriors offered a better deal and it would have been ridiculous to match it...

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • mieko
  • Broncosgirl
  • bert_lifts
  • Turks85
  • Galah
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Gaz
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.