Pre-Season

Bloke in a Bar runs through the squad. No prizes for guessing who their only weak link is:

Love denan kemps massive bias positivity towards the broncos haha. No wonder his ratings smash other nrl podcasts.

On the squad I reckon they are right but I'm not as confident of our depth as they are. It is well balanced overall. Much better than years past. Mozer was 2 years older and we had maybe 2 more old heads in our top 20-ish players and it would be spot on.

On the finish to the year something obviously happened off the field but I think everyone is forgetting the following happened to finish our year:
1. We lost our best performing forward and talisman to a one off rule crackdown (carrigan)
2. We lost our most in form and consistent back (herbie)
3. Our captain and halfback was playing busted since the mountain of "gamesmanship" play by Canberra etc.
4. And after the season we find out our vice captain and defensive glue on the edge (capewell) was playing with 1 shoulder.

I know injuries happen to every team but they are probably 3 of our most important players + the most in form back all compromised to end the season. Name a team that would continue their form with that happening...

I think we will surprise a lot of people this year.....

Love denan kemps massive bias positivity towards the broncos haha. No wonder his ratings smash other nrl podcasts.
Same. I don't think I've heard him badmouth a player and even when he was bagging out Herbie for being a hog, he was still calling him a "gun." Same with Walters who he was clearly singling out as an inadequate 9. He covered his arse by praising him at 14. And when he asked whether Walters could've done what Smoothy did in winning the QCup hooker of the year, he covered his arse by suggesting he might've carved it up at 6. He's a good bloke. I like his style.

Same. I don't think I've heard him badmouth a player and even when he was bagging out Herbie for being a hog, he was still calling him a "gun." Same with Walters who he was clearly singling out as an inadequate 9. He covered his arse by praising him at 14. And when he asked whether Walters could've done what Smoothy did in winning the QCup hooker of the year, he covered his arse by suggesting he might've carved it up at 6. He's a good bloke. I like his style.
Kemp won't bag not just Broncos players, but any players. He is always pro-player to be the anti to some media types. The best thing about Kemp, is he doesn't deny or hide his agenda.

On the squad I reckon they are right but I'm not as confident of our depth as they are. It is well balanced overall. Much better than years past. Mozer was 2 years older and we had maybe 2 more old heads in our top 20-ish players and it would be spot on.

On the finish to the year something obviously happened off the field but I think everyone is forgetting the following happened to finish our year:
1. We lost our best performing forward and talisman to a one off rule crackdown (carrigan)
2. We lost our most in form and consistent back (herbie)
3. Our captain and halfback was playing busted since the mountain of "gamesmanship" play by Canberra etc.
4. And after the season we find out our vice captain and defensive glue on the edge (capewell) was playing with 1 shoulder.

I know injuries happen to every team but they are probably 3 of our most important players + the most in form back all compromised to end the season. Name a team that would continue their form with that happening...

I think we will surprise a lot of people this year.....
On point 3 it annoys me that no one in our team stands up for each other in their spare time. They’re all happy to punch each other but never fire up when their half back is getting cheap shots or whatever. We have no hard men in the entire team.

On point 3 it annoys me that no one in our team stands up for each other in their spare time. They’re all happy to punch each other but never fire up when their half back is getting cheap shots or whatever. We have no hard men in the entire team.
Walsh has a go at the other side. I remember in his rookie year he grabbed Ryan James by the collar after he hit Chanel tevita Harris after a kick.

Maybe having The smallest player on the field standing up for his mates will get some of the big blokes to check their pants to see if they have any balls and will follow suit.

Alternatively, they could all play in white shoes because apparently a person treading on or scuffing them is a reason to be aggressive now?

Walsh has a go at the other side. I remember in his rookie year he grabbed Ryan James by the collar after he hit Chanel tevita Harris after a kick.

Maybe having The smallest player on the field standing up for his mates will get some of the big blokes to check their pants to see if they have any balls and will follow suit.

Alternatively, they could all play in white shoes because apparently a person treading on or scuffing them is a reason to be aggressive now?

Flegs would do it too but then get suspended.

Flegs would do it too but then get suspended.
Thommo is fine. He just lacks finesse, and hopefully this is the year he codes the rules into muscle memory.

Payne is the problem. He should be our enforcer but plays it too safe. As has been said many times by many folk we need him to move beyond being the cuddly bear who takes the defence for horsey rides and become the killdozer who bludgeons them into submission. He can earn an extra ten minutes on the bench if he can do that for us.

The rest of the pack is only there to look cute.

Screenindex

Thommo is fine. He just lacks finesse, and hopefully this is the year he codes the rules into muscle memory.

Payne is the problem. He should be our enforcer but plays it too safe. As has been said many times by many folk we need him to move beyond being the cuddly bear who takes the defence for horsey rides and become the killdozer who bludgeons them into submission. He can earn an extra ten minutes on the bench if he can do that for us.

View attachment 20460

I'd say Carrigan has also shown the ability to do it and this is where he needs to step up as captain in waiting. He needs to be the one that stands up for his mates. Payne I just don't see ever being more than a stats magnet, a very good stats magnet but not an enforcer.

Kemp won't bag not just Broncos players, but any players. He is always pro-player to be the anti to some media types. The best thing about Kemp, is he doesn't deny or hide his agenda.
Yes, for an amateur, he's the consummate professional in this regard. They all are. They do criticize players, but you have to pay attention and sometimes read between the lines to notice what they're saying. Watch for faint praise, or gushing with a casual aside.

Take Guru's comment about Herbie, for example. Sounds like gushing, but when he says "sensational, I think he can add a little more to his game," he's talking about him not passing. You mightn't pick that up if you hadn't been following the show this year.

View attachment 20460
I hope Robati kicks on and takes Riki’s spot this season. He’s the closest thing we have to a X factor forward.

Kobe Hetherington has undergone surgery today after rupturing his biceps during training activities on Tuesday.

Broncos Head of Performance Dave Ballard said: “The surgery went well and Kobe is now recovering.

"He will be out for an extended period but is receiving the best quality care, and the club will be providing all the support that Kobe needs during that period.”

Two bicep ruptures for the broncos in a short space of time. Sucks.

Both biceps gone? Ouch, that's a tough recovery.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Big Del
  • Howie
  • Sproj
  • Jason Simmons
  • BruiserMk1
  • Aldo
  • RolledOates
  • Wolfie
  • Redfern_1980
  • broncos4life
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.