Predict the Queensland 17

Fullback worries me a bit .I know Boyd's form is better this year , but he is certainly not back to his best. GI really needs to lift as of now. If the side was picked solely on current form (which it never is) Munster would be there. As it stands I would sooner probably still have GI at full back and Boyd on the wing , where he has never let us down.

I also think Nat Myles should put in a few more solid performances to deserve a position

I reckon Boyd's performance last night was great - his organisation at the back will be needed this year, and he should be the FB. Same for Inglis at centre. He was very good last night.

Munster would be a good choice on the wing and I also think Cooper would be excellent in the back row despite Guerra's form lift over the last 2 weeks. Cooper plays off Thurston really well and the more established combinations the better.

I reckon Boyd's performance last night was great - his organisation at the back will be needed this year, and he should be the FB. Same for Inglis at centre. He was very good last night.

Munster would be a good choice on the wing and I also think Cooper would be excellent in the back row despite Guerra's form lift over the last 2 weeks. Cooper plays off Thurston really well and the more established combinations the better.
Munster is part of the group of banned youngsters this year. In fact, it all started with him...

I can't see Mal go past Papalii in the second row, despite his showing last night.

Munster is part of the group of banned youngsters this year. In fact, it all started with him...

I can't see Mal go past Papalii in the second row, despite his showing last night.

Oops about Munster.

I know Papalli will be there which is both good and bad. As someone else posted, I worry about his edge defence.

If form means anything, established combinations which work week in and week out count for much more than form 12 months ago. For mine, worked combinations which work well are everything which is why I like Cooper - JT in attack and defence, aside from which Cooper at 108kg is not exactly small.

There's nothing wrong with Papalii's defence. Other than one game against Cronulla this season, he hasn't had more than 1 missed tackle in a game (despite the rest of the Canberra side being shit defenders).

I think Myles should start and soak up the defence. I worry we'd be going nowhere with McGuire and Scott both off. Hopefully he can step way up on his club form - it will likely be his last series regardless of how well he plays.

Guerra should keep his spot - he hasn't been too bad and has proven he has what he takes at origin level. He'll be one to step way up on his club form.

I reckon only question is who plays on the wing outside O'Neil. Feldt's defence I'm not sold on. Gaigai's been there before but playing in a team thats getting smashed every week isn't helping him... Our depth in the outside backs seems to have been our biggest weakness in a while.

I'd be absolutely ok with O'Niell and Feldt, anything so we don't have Gagai in there. All we need is for the right side to defend their butts off and let our left side win it. Plus the Morgan-O'Neill-Feldt connection won't make them completely useless on that side, they'll score a try or three.

I'd be going with this:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. O'Neill
5. Feldt
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Myles
11. Cooper
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Papalii
17. Thaiday/Guerra - Take your pick, they both have been pretty disappointing this season.

Next year Napa comes in and Joffa is discussed but probably just 18th man at that stage. Myles forcibly retires this season.

There's nothing wrong with Papalii's defence. Other than one game against Cronulla this season, he hasn't had more than 1 missed tackle in a game (despite the rest of the Canberra side being shit defenders).

So you were okay with his efforts on Reynolds? Or his effort on Foran?

He has issues, namely his mobility and his tendency to plant his feet which has been exploited from time to time.

Fast forward 12 months down the track assuming none of the old guard have made themselves unavailable does anyone think Queensland should start succession planning? Cronk, Parker, Myles, Thaiday, Smith, Thurston and Slater are all getting on.

Napa will force his way in for Myles almost certainly, and Smith and JT are untouchable. You could make and argument for one of Thiaday or Parker to go, but the hard question is Cronk.

Our origin run has coincided with good succession planning in the halves, so even though Cronk a tried and true Origin winner do you prevent two rookie halves playing together a couple years down the track and blood one now? Or stick with Cronk and focus on one series at a time? Has he done enough in a QLD jersey to pick when he goes out? And if Milf's next in line does he start or do we stick to our recent successful formula, blooding him from the bench with Morgan starting?

(Not sure if I should have made a new thread?)

I'd love to see Oates and Rapana on the wings for game 1. Inglis and someone in the centres.

Rapana is definitely having a great season but is he Qld eligible?

Hahahahaha Ricky is going to have a thrombo!!!!!

Chris Garry's 17-

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin O’Neill
5. Kyle Feldt
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. Josh McGuire
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

Interchange:

14. Michael Morgan
15. Josh Papalii
16. Aidan Guerra
17. Gavin Cooper

0 props on the bench, what a genius.

I think he has the bench-forward positions wrong but other than that, he is pretty close. That said, Myles will be in there instead of Cooper.

I've warmed to the Morgan at centre idea, he's virtually a hybrid right centre / five-eighth for the Cowboys, it's not new to him.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Inglis
4. Morgan
5. Gagai
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Myles
11. Papalii
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Guerra
15. Thaiday
16. McGuire
17. Lillyman

This is the side I'm expecting, we would probably better off with O'Neill or Feldt over Gagai, but I think Kev will stay loyal to him, he did his job on the wing for us last year, deserves another crack.

Active Now

• Socnorb
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Manofoneway
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.