Predicted Queensland Line-Up Game III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided I want Bowen in the no1. As well as the reasons stated he can play as an extra playmaker as well as an excellent dummy half runner

Bowen's combination with JT is overrated for mine.

Even at it's peak, it did little for us in Origin (1/5 record, 0/2 with both starting) & after two serious knee injuries Bowen doesn't pose the same threat as he did back then.

I had a very different interpretation of that Broncos/Cows game. I didn't think Bowen or JT looked like cracking the Broncos until they were well and truly out on their feet. At Origin, the same luxury won't be there.

Last edited:
I find the players who can come up with something from nothing to be overrated at Origin. The defence is a lot better than any NRL match, it's probably the best defence you can get in Rugby League. Structure is a lot more important most of the time. This is why I don't like Barba at fullback, but I think Bowen has shown that he has developed a decent ball playing game since the last time he was selected. I'd rather just move Inglis there over all the other options though.

Bowen's combination with JT is overrated for mine.

Even at it's peak, it did little for us in Origin (1/5 record, 0/2 with both starting) & after two serious knee injuries Bowen doesn't pose the same threat as he did back then.

I had a very different interpretation of that Broncos/Cows game. I didn't think Bowen or JT looked like cracking the Broncos until they were well and truly out on their feet. At Origin, the same luxury won't be there.

Bowen and JT's combination is only handy if Thurston is the one controlling the game, and we've all seen how thats been going so far this series. As soon as Cronk came back on from the sin bin, he took over, and we looked a lot better for it. This to me, negates the whole "lets get bowen in coz of the combination" argument. To me, we are most dangerous with inglis at the back. Doesnt matter who takes his centre spot. I am loving the ideas ppl are having on here about Barba on the bench and bring him in to the game after inglis has weathered the initial onslaught. Brilliant idea.

However, i dont expect the qld selectors to be brave (or smart) enough to change the team in any unforced way. They will pick the absolutely useless gillet and taylor and play them both the same way they have been, totally negating the reason for picking them.

Gillett will not be dropped despite his poor form, because Qld will not go without a utility on the bench.

I think people overestimate Gillett's "utility" value tbh. He's a second rower who has a bit of pace (but don't they all these days?), nothing more. I'm sick of coaches sticking any forward who once made a line break into the centers as soon as there's an injury. Players like Harrison are utility players, not gillett.

I think people overestimate Gillett's "utility" value tbh. He's a second rower who has a bit of pace (but don't they all these days?), nothing more. I'm sick of coaches sticking any forward who once made a line break into the centers as soon as there's an injury. Players like Harrison are utility players, not gillett.

What makes Harrison a utility as opposed to Gillett?

Seriously? Harrison is a handy ball player - was a first grade 5/8th - and could just as easily cover centre and the halves as well as second row/lock. Could even cover prop if need be. Gillett covers second row/lock, that's about it.

He's played at centre and 5/8th in the past and did a solid job covering there. Plus he's a better defender than Gillett.

He's played at centre and 5/8th in the past and did a solid job covering there. Plus he's a better defender than Gillett.

Well I wasn't aware he played 5/8 or centre before, so I guess that's fair enough.

When was the last time Harrison played centre?

Gillett is just a second row these days. Back in the day he could fill in anywhere but the man himself just wants to be picked in the second row.

Much like Alex Glenn really.

So sick of utilities anyway. Having them on your bench is one of the biggest myths in the game. Craig Wing & Shaun Berrigan weren't fantastic for their versatility, they were just brilliant dummy half runners who held up their share in defence. Kidley, Young, DCE & Buhrer were all dumb selections in one form or another.

As for Gillett. Can't tell me he wasn't one of the best bench players in the comp. before the Origin season. He just hasn't aimed up. No shame in it. Up to him from now onto grow and put himself back into calculations. If it doesn't work out, at least he'll be a handy club player for us.

Last edited:
I've never been a big fan of Bowen, but F'n A he's been playing well lately and probably deserves a call up, as does Barba who is in scintilating form. I trust in whatever the selectors and Mal decide, they've done a great job the last 7 years. If Slater is not fit, the biggest call will be whether they want to weaken centre to play Inglis at fullback or do a straight swap for Slater. Here is the side I would go with:

1. Slater/Bowen
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Civinoceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison/Parker

14. Gillett
15. Hannant
16. Taylor
17. Shillington.

18. Barba/Bowen
19. Parker/Johnson

Minimimal changes required, just cover for injury.

Bowen concerns me at fullback. Don't know why, I just feel uneasy about it. I feel like it would be 'easier' (perhaps less risky??) to move Inglis and just find a sub for him at centre.

I've never been a big fan of Bowen, but F'n A he's been playing well lately and probably deserves a call up, as does Barba who is in scintilating form. I trust in whatever the selectors and Mal decide, they've done a great job the last 7 years. If Slater is not fit, the biggest call will be whether they want to weaken centre to play Inglis at fullback or do a straight swap for Slater. Here is the side I would go with:

1. Slater/Bowen
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Civinoceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison/Parker

14. Gillett
15. Hannant
16. Taylor
17. Shillington.

18. Barba/Bowen
19. Parker/Johnson

Minimimal changes required, just cover for injury.

You're right, moving inglis to fullback would weaken centre. but it would dramatically strengthen our attack overall. inglis at fullback is, imo, 2 to 3 times more dangerous so it really makes sense to move him

^^ Completely agree. I think we stand to gain more from putting GI at fullback than we do leaving him at centre.

I think we stand to have a net gain if we put Inglis at fullback instead of leaving him at centre and bringing in Bowen or Barba.
My team:

1. Inglis
2. Tate
3. Nielsen (O'Neill could bolt?)
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. JT
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison (Parker if Ash injured)

14. Gillett (Parker if Harrison fit)
15. Taylor
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

It'd be nice if Tonga was fit, he would slot into centre.

I think we stand to have a net gain if we put Inglis at fullback instead of leaving him at centre and bringing in Bowen or Barba.
My team:

1. Inglis
2. Tate
3. Nielsen (O'Neill could bolt?)
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. JT
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Harrison (Parker if Ash injured)

14. Gillett (Parker if Harrison fit)
15. Taylor
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

It'd be nice if Tonga was fit, he would slot into centre.

It would be nicer if Chambers was fit! he was in great form

Is it fair it comes down to this;

1. Safety; 1.GI 2.Tate 3.Nielsen 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

2. Combination; 1.Bowen 2.Tate 3.GI 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

3. Excitement (gamble); 1.Barba 2.Tate 3.GI 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

I think it will be safety, but I have faith in Mal and the selectors and will be happy with option 1 or 2. 3 will be very scary and I'll have a heart attack before the game is over.

I still claim what I originally said following Gm 2; except for the fact it's his last game, Gillett and Taylor don't deserve their spots, but I think QLD will keep DT. Parker is a MUST, regardless of if Harrison is fit.

Is it fair it comes down to this;

1. Safety; 1.GI 2.Tate 3.Nielsen 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

2. Combination; 1.Bowen 2.Tate 3.GI 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

3. Excitement (gamble); 1.Barba 2.Tate 3.GI 4.Hodges 5.Boyd

I think it will be safety, but I have faith in Mal and the selectors and will be happy with option 1 or 2. 3 will be very scary and I'll have a heart attack before the game is over.

I still claim what I originally said following Gm 2; except for the fact it's his last game, Gillett and Taylor don't deserve their spots, but I think QLD will keep DT. Parker is a MUST, regardless of if Harrison is fit.

Of the 3 options, i think 1 is our best by a mile, with 3 coming second and 2 way down the line.

Agree that gillet and taylor dont deserve their spots at all. Parker needs to be there. If taylor has another mediocre performance i dare say we put a line through his name as far as origin goes. He has had his chance. Gillet will get other chances, but he is horribly out of his depth right now.

I would go as far as doing what others have suggested in this thread and drop both taylor and gillet for parker and barba. Inglis can play the first 20 at fullback, then take nielsen out, move inglis to centre and unleash barba. I honestly think that would be the best play possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Aldo
  • davidp
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
  • Matheos
  • winslow_wong
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Bronco bob
  • Justwin
  • Wendall Taylor
  • heartly87
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fatboy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • ozzball
  • kman
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.