NEWS Preseason Trial: Broncos 44 def Wynnum 12

ScreenFoGZMtPaAAE 2h

A couple of open palm strikes to the head there. Our winger looked to stagger a little bit from it. Wynnum player should have been binned

I've been really impressed with Smoothy too ...

but i do lol, that the things being said about him in this trial are the same type of things BHQ said about Billy in the same trial last year
Remember the opposition he is playing. Hes got good footy smarts and deserves another shot with what he has shown but id prefer to see up against one of our other trisl opponents before we tslk about who makes the cut.
Pretty impressive this game but his lack of pace may be shown out more with a stronger defence.

Smoothys performance was just mind blowing... I haven't seen a trial performance as good as this as.... Billy Walters 2022 wynumm game...

Seemed a class above today no doubt. But he actually was a class above his opposition, just like any broncos player that had nrl experience should be. Having said that, it definitely made me optimistic and he does seem a better option, just needs to do it to some better opposition

Remember the opposition he is playing. Hes got good footy smarts and deserves another shot with what he has shown but id prefer to see up against one of our other trisl opponents before we tslk about who makes the cut.
Pretty impressive this game but his lack of pace may be shown out more with a stronger defence.

McHunt said it best when he referred to Tyson’s “rolling momentum”. I said when he first got signed that he is robotic in his consistency. He effortlessly walks his way to dummy half and then throws the perfect pass (mostly). There’s little thought about running but it’s like having a passing machine just going through the motions and it puts forwards over the advantage line and gives halves heaps of space. I would love to see Haas or Flegler being able to run onto his passes without their momentum being slowed by a pass to the face that they need to stop and catch (Billy, Turpin, and to a less extent Paix are all guilty). It is perfect for Reynolds too who is also a genius at creating space for others. Smoothy to Reynolds will open up the game so much for Mam and Walsh.

Tyson isn’t very dynamic though so a guy like Paix or Billy, or even Sailor coming on at 14 to focus more on running when the forwards are tired is a great combo.

McHunt said it best when he referred to Tyson’s “rolling momentum”. I said when he first got signed that he is robotic in his consistency. He effortlessly walks his way to dummy half and then throws the perfect pass (mostly). There’s little thought about running but it’s like having a passing machine just going through the motions and it puts forwards over the advantage line and gives halves heaps of space. I would love to see Haas or Flegler being able to run onto his passes without their momentum being slowed by a pass to the face that they need to stop and catch (Billy, Turpin, and to a less extent Paix are all guilty). It is perfect for Reynolds too who is also a genius at creating space for others. Smoothy to Reynolds will open up the game so much for Mam and Walsh.

Tyson isn’t very dynamic though so a guy like Paix or Billy, or even Sailor coming on at 14 to focus more on running when the forwards are tired is a great combo.

He can be dynamic in his play; he will kick and has a big play in him. He creates play from DH. He touches the ball a lot in his play and involves himself. That's his strength.

People are selling Smoothy short- he's dynamic in his play out of dummy half- he doesn't make a lot of breaks but he plays a lot out of DH.

Few plays from this year that stand out.

Hunters- Falcons play the ball on the right hand side, Smoothy jumps out and looks around sums it up and kicks for centre Anderson to catch and score far out on the left- I'd bet most hookers fizz it to get it out there not kick.

Hunters again- 40m out one marker straight, one sort of floating doing who knows what- jumps out to the right comes back in front of the first marker; Hunters line is a shambles- grubbers past the A defender Polselli jumps on it and draws the fullback to give it back to Smoothy to score under the posts.

Norths- jumps out and draws the Devils' defence across watching him just turns Vaalepu under to score.

Norths- 6-6 20 seconds until half time kicks a field goal. Second half Norths start much better and score first up 12-7 goes to dummy half Moseley on the ground so green light play needed-Ahearn in the line on his own, Smoothy takes him on and dominates him out of the way.

Cutters- In conditions that you wouldn't even think about going outside-signals right, knowing full well he's coming left and knows the Cutters haven't moved up so comes back to the left and throws a nice little under pass to Atkinson to crash over.

Week two of the finals against Tweed- played 83 minutes in the middle made 52 tackles and kicked 4/4 with the fourth winning the game- that can't be underestimated for a forward to kick goals when they're gassed is high quality. I said it was one of the great hooker finals performances.

Falcons 24-0 down-goes to dummy half and simply throws a nice ball to Gibbons to crash over and give them a positive at HT if they don't score that try and go to HT at 0 who knows what happens.

24-6 shapes right and Tweed get up so changes it and swings round throws it to Johns on the right- Tweed haven't moved up on that side thinking the ball was going away from them Falcons score in the right corner and

Overlooked or not known he finished second on the points table too with 151 points along way behind Rogers but still second at 79%.

He touched the ball more than anyone else in the competition this season- given it's essentially his first year of ISC that's a big impact. The top three are hookers and he beat Politoni by 278 times and Pat's one of the best hookers easily.

He can be dynamic in his play; he will kick and has a big play in him. He creates play from DH. He touches the ball a lot in his play and involves himself. That's his strength.
I’m pretty sure the post you quoted was also in response to me saying he wasn’t dynamic last time. Dynamic is definitely the wrong word to use - I didn’t mean he isn’t creative, has good variations, or reads the game and responds. What I should’ve said is he isn’t much of a running threat.

All this chatter about Smoothy; I notice he’s listed at 181cm and 97kg. The 181cm doesn’t surprise me, but is he really 97kg?

If so, that’s a big body for a 9. Could very easily move to 13 if we wanted to bring a more zippy 9 like Paix on after 30mins or so.

And sure, I obviously don’t know if he can actually play 13, but he’s plenty big enough.

All this chatter about Smoothy; I notice he’s listed at 181cm and 97kg. The 181cm doesn’t surprise me, but is he really 97kg?

If so, that’s a big body for a 9. Could very easily move to 13 if we wanted to bring a more zippy 9 like Paix on after 30mins or so.

And sure, I obviously don’t know if he can actually play 13, but he’s plenty big enough.

I think focus on 9 atm. He could drop 7kg and still be strong enough - just requires a couple of seasons to build lean mature muscle.

I think focus on 9 atm. He could drop 7kg and still be strong enough - just requires a couple of seasons to build lean mature muscle.
Oh, I don’t disagree at all.

It was more a remark of how I was shocked to discover he was that big.

With that sort of size, skills dependent obviously, can come versatility too. Handy tools to have and ones that help with bench rotation as well.

I think one of his highlights vids had him running around as a lock at times, so guessing it could be something he's able to add to his game

Active Now

• Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • leon.bott
  • MrMoore
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • Spoon
  • azza.79
  • Battler
  • Jazza
  • Lurker
  • Ozired
  • Bucking Beads
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.