Pretenders or contenders?

The forwards hold the key. If they hold their own the broncos will be fine. Against the eels they were bullied and intimidated. That scrum debacle where the eels just pushed us like nothing was demoralising. Forwards win you games.

Being in the top 4 at finals time makes us contenders, on our day we have the talent to beat anybody........including Melbourne.

The boys just need to get their heads in the game.

Someone just pointed something out to me.....

Out of the other 4 top 5 sides, the eels have only played the broncos twice with their only game against the storm coming without the storms origin players before origin 3, and them getting smashed by 30+ against the roosters and by 14 points vs the sharks..

This brings up a few things:

The regular season draw is a joke and the fact that 2 points can mean finishing 4th or missing the finals all together yet the draw is this skewed is pretty embarrassing and disgusting by the nrl...

The other point, if we are "pretenders", what does that make the eels based on their season?

People watch one game and forget every other game because the media pumps them up. This game wouldn't have been a game Wayne Bennett circled on the draw and said "we will make a statement against them!", the broncos have had bigger teams to do that with and we have, it's tapering-down-time until the finals at the moment. The eels would have circled this one in about April once it was obvious we would be a top 4-ish team this year

I hate to disagree with one of the greatest players of all-time, but Nikorima did just that. He put in a couple of sublime kicks that should have swung the momentum the Broncos way. Unfortunately it went unrewarded and Roberts, Mead & Hunt were horrific in defence on the Fijian flyer.

Agree Pete....I thought KNik put in a couple of great kicks. TBH.....I'm still a bit mystified by the criticism he copped out of that match against the Merge.

I see good signs.......and actually feel more confident that he will grow into the no.7 role than I did several weeks ago.

The forwards hold the key. If they hold their own the broncos will be fine. Against the eels they were bullied and intimidated. That scrum debacle where the eels just pushed us like nothing was demoralising. Forwards win you games.
Yeah, what happened to that pact our forwards made a few weeks ago? lol

BRONCOS great Gorden Tallis has called for Ben Hunt to become an 80-minute hooker, in a bid to help the Brisbane pack following the loss of Korbin Sims.
Sims’ season ended after Thursday’s shock loss to the Eels, when the starting prop broke his arm and underwent surgery on Friday morning.
The enforcer watched Brisbane training from the sidelines on Sunday with his arm in a sling while young forwards Joe Ofahengaue, Herman Ese’ese and Tevita Pangai Jr all put their case forward for a promotion from the bench.
a750f52b6cdc10257288d9f2f110147b

Korbin Sims’ season is over for the Broncos. Picture: Annette Dew
Tallis believes the best replacement for Sims is veteran star Sam Thaiday.
Thaiday has started the past three games for Brisbane at hooker, with Hunt coming off the bench about 20 minutes into the game.
Tallis said that the time had come for the Broncos to trust Hunt to handle the entire 80 minutes, as Thaiday would bring experience to the front row in the club’s finals push.
“They need to put Sammy there,” Tallis said.
35d23df20e687f21ff87e44f4e3af92c

Sam Thaiday would bring experience to Brisbane’s front row.
“Give Ben Hunt the hooker role from the beginning.
“You’d rather bring a young kid on (off the bench) when everything is going good and they can just hold the ship.
‘‘It’s very hard to bring someone young on and they have to find the momentum.”
3bc4213ea45ede92305afa26b8a32acc

Ben Hunt is yet to start at hooker for the Broncos this season. Picture: Annette Dew
Hunt did take over most of the No. 9 duties at training on Sunday, but is yet to start at hooker after Andrew McCullough was ruled out for the season in Round 22.
Thaiday, Ofahengaue and Ese’ese trained well in a sharp session at Red Hill.
Pangai Jr also moved well after sitting out last week’s game with a minor hamstring injury.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/df6ebf41fbd571304da477a7a4b63ebc

Can Thaiday handle the extra hit ups? I don't think he's keen on that kind of work anymore.

I hate to disagree with one of the greatest players of all-time, but Nikorima did just that. He put in a couple of sublime kicks that should have swung the momentum the Broncos way. Unfortunately it went unrewarded and Roberts, Mead & Hunt were horrific in defence on the Fijian flyer.

If anything, it was the one area of Milford's performance I was disappointed in. Even in defeat, I thought Milford showed the skill-set of a world class player but his composure at times was shaky. There were times where he needed to take ownership of the set and just get his players to get him in position for a kick so the Broncos could complete their set, instead he was thinking about scoring that very play.

Milford knows that and I'm sure it's the one area he'll look to fix in the lead up to the 2018 season.

Milford is 22. Halves don't peak for another 5 odd years. KNik is 23. We can't expect either of them to be consistently composed, that is the danger in having two young halves.

Milf at fullback, KNik at 7, Boyd at 3 and Marshall at 6 would have solved that issue. But once again we let a spine player go to accomodate someone who is overrated and aren't likely to get us a premiership.

Hope am wrong but don't think we have the grit, consistent execution or smarts to win 3 finals games. Like to embed the 1992/3 and 97/98 legends in the team for the rest of the season see if that turns the tide. Guys like Locky, webke, Civo, Carroll, k.walters (he can't be busy with origin at this time of year), Renouf, Hancock, D Smith, Thorn need to take the current crop under their wing and bring back the pride.

Might be time to bring Marshall in as spare hooker and lock for last 15 to steady young halves.

Milford is 22. Halves don't peak for another 5 odd years. KNik is 23. We can't expect either of them to be consistently composed, that is the danger in having two young halves.

Milf at fullback, KNik at 7, Boyd at 3 and Marshall at 6 would have solved that issue. But once again we let a spine player go to accomodate someone who is overrated and aren't likely to get us a premiership.

Hope am wrong but don't think we have the grit, consistent execution or smarts to win 3 finals games. Like to embed the 1992/3 and 97/98 legends in the team for the rest of the season see if that turns the tide. Guys like Locky, webke, Civo, Carroll, k.walters (he can't be busy with origin at this time of year), Renouf, Hancock, D Smith, Thorn need to take the current crop under their wing and bring back the pride.

Might be time to bring Marshall in as spare hooker and lock for last 15 to steady young halves.
pah

If you cannot imagine Melbourne having 50 put on them then you must consider the Broncos pretenders. If your brain just can't see Melbourne suffering the same way then that would tell you that Brisbane just aren't in the same class. I live in hope but my heart and my brain just can't see it. I might feel some joy if we go to Townsville and make a real statement but I don't see a win there no matter what the bookies think. I reckon the Cows will get the cash and it looks a safe bet. I want to be totally wrong.

If you cannot imagine Melbourne having 50 put on them then you must consider the Broncos pretenders.

I can see every team bar Melbourne having 50 put on them ...

oh well no point having the finals, better just hand the trophy to Melbourne as the other 15 teams are pretenders.

Every team can have an off game.

Don't need to put 50 on them to beat them.

If you cannot imagine Melbourne having 50 put on them then you must consider the Broncos pretenders. If your brain just can't see Melbourne suffering the same way then that would tell you that Brisbane just aren't in the same class. I live in hope but my heart and my brain just can't see it. I might feel some joy if we go to Townsville and make a real statement but I don't see a win there no matter what the bookies think. I reckon the Cows will get the cash and it looks a safe bet. I want to be totally wrong.

ANYONE who thinks the Broncos are in the same class as Melbourne are absolutely bonkers.

I doubt anyone will beat them in the finals, and the GF is pretty much as good as theirs at this stage.

Hey just out of curiosity, of the games that David Mead has played in this year ( as a starter) how many have we won? I believe it is an extremely low percentage?

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.