Pretenders or contenders?

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
What's the fascination with the number 50? Why not 49 or 43 or some other random number?

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
ANYONE who thinks the Broncos are in the same class as Melbourne are absolutely bonkers.

I doubt anyone will beat them in the finals, and the GF is pretty much as good as theirs at this stage.

That's why I want to see the eels finish 4th and play the storm first up. See if they are the real deal. The 2 form teams can bash each other up too

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
What's the fascination with the number 50? Why not 49 or 43 or some other random number?

this ...

I mean Parramatta had 48 points put on them in round 10 ... but i guess they remain contenders because the Roosters missed 2 conversions

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
ANYONE who thinks the Broncos are in the same class as Melbourne are absolutely bonkers.

I doubt anyone will beat them in the finals, and the GF is pretty much as good as theirs at this stage.

IMO, anyone who thinks any team is in the same class as Melbourne are absolutely bonkers.

I have thought for a while that there was 15 teams battling it out to see who will lose to Melbourne in the GF.

Of course it's a slight over reaction, because anything can happen on a given day, but I just mean that when every team plays their best, Melbourne's best is better

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Has anyone investigated Melbourne for being robots. Seriously.

I still can't believe they signed Josh Addo Carr and now have 2 of the fastest wingers in the comp getting the ball delivered to them by Cooper F$#King Cronk.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I just mean that when every team plays their best, Melbourne's best is better

I think this is true...to an extent. The thing Melbourne do better than anyone else is play 100% every game. That said, their 100% is comparable to our 100% and I'd suggest the Roosters too. I think all three teams are a cut above anyone else, including Parramatta, at their 100%. The only other side is the Cowboys but not with their injuries but the massive problem for all the non-Melbourne teams is that they rarely ever play to their 100%. Even 95% won't be enough to knock off a Melbourne team so consistently good and hellbent on sending their champion halfback out a winner.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Send offs are dead, so anyone can beat Melbourne if they're willing to do whatever it takes.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Send offs are dead, so anyone can beat Melbourne if they're willing to do whatever it takes.

Yeah rough up cam smith and Cronk any chance you get. Easier said than done and not guaranteed to be beneficial but worth a try.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
You are the only one with an apparent fascination with the number 50. The point raised was can you imagine Melbourne conceding 50 points this year ? Please pick a number that you think qualifies as big. Most of us would think conceding 30 was a lot, 40 a fucking lot and 50 or more a fuckton...it's about not being able to imagine the 2017 Melbourne standing behind the posts while 51 points has been added to any opposition side. I mean you could nearly field 26 players, all forwards one after another running straight at them and I'd still think they'd let in less than 49, 50, 51 ...

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
And that's what you figured I meant ? No wonder the world's in the state it is.

Why was that remark necessary? Everyone can misread things at times.

My point is Melbourne are beatable. Yes they have been very consistent, but they can't play their best football all the time.

And yes I do understand that would require us to play to our potential and fully commit ourselves to a winning attitude.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Look, don't misunderstand, I totally agree on any given day just about any team could put together a great game.

Cronulla in 2016 revealed the blueprint. My Cronulla mate pointed out to me how Mick Ennis ruffled the feathers, he set the tone. It was going to be a hard and dirty gf and they hit Melbourne so hard in that first half that at the end of the game that extra one oercent just wasn't there. Melbourne came perilously close to snatching it but it was the first half that set it up. Nothing fancy, boring bennetball really but hard edged, every tackle intended to hurt...that's the only way to unsettle Melbourne.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Why was that remark necessary? Everyone can misread things at times.

My point is Melbourne are beatable. Yes they have been very consistent, but they can't play their best football all the time.

And yes I do understand that would require us to play to our potential and fully commit ourselves to a winning attitude.
Sure, okay, I'm tired after shift no 13, 12 hours of night work and yeah, that was snarky of me...I agree, Melbourne are beatable....any given day so they say. Not sure if Melbourne need to be at their best quite honestly especially if their opposition on the day aren't either.

An old saying...it's not how good you are when you're good, it's how good are you when you're bad.

(Melbourne are very good even when they're bad)

Active Now

• Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • Mighty Bronx
  • rnabokov
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncoFan94
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.