Qld halves combination if Lockyer out

I think QLD will have an advantage with the amount of Storm players we are likely to select. Slater, Inglis, Folau, Smith, Johnson and possibly Kaufusi. Here's hoping Bellamy takes a soft approach [icon_razz1

Any1 think Tate will get a run? hasnt been doing much seeing as he hardly gets the ball.

And does any1 know if price will be ready for SOO?

Tate's Origin career died when he left the Broncos. The only reason he ever got picked for the Maroons was because he played alongside Lockyer et al.

OK, might be a bit harsh. He's under the same problem as Lockyer. His knee was pretty much destroyed in that Origin game so it's going to take him a while to get his mojo back. He won't play Origin this year IMO.

Can't see Tate getting in at all. Not really a slur on how he's playing, but just have a think about the contenders for the three-quarter line for a moment: Hunt, Folau, Inglis, Hodges, Slater, Bell, Bowen... we'd be looking down the barrel of around three big names to fall from injury before Brent's name is even uttered imo.

mick! said:
Can't see Tate getting in at all. Not really a slur on how he's playing, but just have a think about the contenders for the three-quarter line for a moment: Hunt, Folau, Inglis, Hodges, Slater, Bell, Bowen... we'd be looking down the barrel of around three big names to fall from injury before Brent's name is even uttered imo.

Bell? Not a big name either in length or ability IMO. Very overrated player.

And you left off Boyd.

[icon_lol1.

Coxy said:
mick! said:

Bell? Not a big name either in length or ability IMO. Very overrated player.

And you left off Boyd.

[icon_lol1.

[icon_lol1.

Smartarse! I'm not the biggest fan of Bell either tbh, but there's no hiding the fact that a lot of blokes who have gotten the job done before are looked upon more favourably than others, and I think Bell has done enough on the stage to be one of the first called up if something happens to go wrong with the first squad selected.

On the issue of halves, I honestly don't even know if Thurston will make it as the first choice #7. Prince simply has to be there regardless of whether it's in the run-on side or on the bench. If Locky ain't there, I'd be 100% certain of seeing Prince in the run-on side, and it wouldn't actually surprise me if they threw him at halfback with Inglis wearing the six...

Tate's done the job at Origin level before too though, Mick. So I think he'd get called up before Bell if anything.

Agree re: Thurston and Prince. I simply couldn't put Thurston ahead of Prince on form. But again, the "Been there done that" rule will apply.

Tate is a liability for qld. sure, everyone now and then he does something great, but for the most part, he looks out of place. i still remember that error he made where he lost the ball, then coz of his neckbrace could move his head around to see where the ball went, and nsw scored. terrible.

QUEENSLANDER said:
Tate is a liability for qld. sure, everyone now and then he does something great, but for the most part, he looks out of place. i still remember that error he made where he lost the ball, then coz of his neckbrace could move his head around to see where the ball went, and nsw scored. terrible.

I disagree. Tate's defense is top-notch at rep level. It always left me shaking my head thinking "How could he defuse about 20 perfectly placed bombs at origin level, and somehow drop them all when he plays for the Broncos?".

QUEENSLANDER said:

Then in the following 2 games he was by far and away our best outside back, including MOTM in Game 3 icon_thumbs_u

Jebadude said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

Then in the following 2 games he was by far and away our best outside back, including MOTM in Game 3 icon_thumbs_u

Didn't he root his knee just after half time last year in game 3??? I might be wrong lol eusa_think

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Jebadude said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

Didn't he root his knee just after half time last year in game 3??? I might be wrong lol eusa_think

I am pretty sure they are talking about the 06' series.

ronnyd said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Jebadude said:
QUEENSLANDER said:

I am pretty sure they are talking about the 06' series.

Ah! well carry on then [icon_lol1.

Tate never recollected the form that made him a test player since his injuries kicked in.

Thus, he is not even in the same bracket as people like Inglis/Folau/Slater/Hodges.

My side would be

1. Slater (I think he needs to be there)
2. Inglis (I think for balance he needs to be out wide)
3. Bell (has always performed at this level)
4. Hodges
5. Folau (should be there)
6. Thurston
7. Prince/Cronk (I favour Cronk only because of the large Storm backline presence)
8. Kaufusi (was one of the form forwards last year before injury)
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Crocker
12. Thaiday (Costigan is a chance)
13. Johnson

14. Myles
15. Lillyman
16. Webb (only because Price is out, needs to start playing )
17. Hunt (Can play wing, fullback and 5/8†if needed)

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.