NEWS QLD Premier fires a shot across the Broncos' bow

The only way it could be done would be more than one breach per person. Anyone copping a $100k fine for first offence would simply go to court and argue such a penalty is outside of a reasonable range.

However, no reason it couldn’t be ramped up significantly if one person breaches multiple times.

Is that not how it already works? I'd assume getting done a second time would come with a far larger fine.

I dont know lads Sweeden is the only country I know of that has let it run its course and their results are fairly reasonable. Certainly not the best but also not the worst. They are doing better than many countries with heavy restrictions in place. It would have been interesting to see if more countries chose the same path to get a better indication of the best way of dealing with the virus.

There are many different strains of the virus so a vaccine is going to be incredibly difficult to produce and likely not very effective. Probably years away.
I don't know where you're getting your numbers on Sweden, but of countries with a population greater than 10,000, it's currently ranked 6th highest in the world on deaths per population at 570 per million. The USA, by comparison is 500. Neighbouring countries Estonia and Norway are 47/million, Finland 60/million. In other words they've killed about ten times as many as their neighbours.

Sweden did this not knowing whether being exposed to the virus would lead to immunity. Or what else, apart from killing you, it will do long term. Quite a bit, it appears. Like losing your sense of smell. If anything, they are the benchmark in how not to do it.

Thankfully, there does appear to be some residual antibody & t-cell immunity, and there are already successful vaccines in the works. The UK will have a two pronged (antibody and symptom abatement) vaccine rollout to healthworkers within two months. It's yet to be determined how effective it will be in percentage terms. That's the wildcard.

Last edited:
Is that not how it already works? I'd assume getting done a second time would come with a far larger fine.
Forget the fine: instant dismissal, contract void, no pay.

Last edited:
I don't know where you're getting your numbers on Sweden, but of countries with a population greater than 10,000, it's currently ranked 6th highest in the world on deaths per population at 570 per million. The USA, by comparison is 500. Neighbouring countries Estonia and Norway are 47/million, Finland 60/million. In other words they've killed about ten times as many as their neighbours.

Sweden did this not knowing whether being exposed to the virus would lead to immunity. Or what else, apart from killing you, it will do long term. Quite a bit, it appears. Like losing your sense of smell. If anything, they are the benchmark in how not to do it.

Thankfully, there does appear to be some residual antibody & t-cell immunity, and there are already successful vaccines in the works. The UK will have a two pronged (antibody and symptom abatement) vaccine rollout to healthworkers within two months. It's yet to be determined how effective it will be in percentage terms. That's the wildcard.

It's also worth nothing that Sweden's economy is no better off than neighbouring countries, in fact last article I read had their economy faring worse over the same time period.

It's also worth nothing that Sweden's economy is no better off than neighbouring countries, in fact last article I read had their economy faring worse over the same time period.
It's also worth noting Swedes are a pretty orderly bunch compared to say, the Brits and us. Many voluntarily distanced and took measures that weren't demanded by law. It also coincided with the onset of summer and long daylight hours where they escape to their cabins. Even with all that, they had one of the world's highest excess fatality rates.

Just heard it on a podcast, after checking it seems you are correct. Although to a certain extent it does seem like they were somewhat anticipating some poor results initially with a view to achieving good results over a longer period. It will be interesting to see how they progress.

Apropos comparisons of countries with different Corona measures, I think comparing Sweden is not appropriate. The only countries Australia should be compared to are island nations such as NZ. The fact Australia has cases at all should be a criticism of the government's actions following the announcement of the virus and the WHO warnings. Secure borders, strict immigration policies and quarantine procedures did nothing to prevent a boatload of infected people walking ashore and catching public transport in Sydney and making it so far as a second island (Tasmania). Sweden has soft borders to several other countries and a coastline within reach of several more countries and that's far more difficult to control.

New Zealand's economy, although affected by its potential for growth due to its global appeal (major focus on Tourism, retail and wholesale trade), is running again and the country is now Covid free due to its border control ensuring the public stupidity didn't have so great an impact on outbreak. In Australia, the presence of cases was yet further exacerbated by the selfishness of people who were supposed to be ensuring the spread did not occur (security guards sleeping with quarantined people).

Once again, the fact Australia has cases is sad, and truly reflects poorly on our response. There were even attempts to bypass security measures and fast track asian students back to Unis to stimulate the economy. The saddest factor to me in that is that the economy could be so frail that it could not survive some months of quarantine. I know that we deserve our civil liberties, but laws and regulations are in place for the benefit of all and even if governance is disagreeable at times, the country remains a democracy and a disagreeable government can be replaced in due course.

In short, Australia should be running and judged in comparison to New Zealand and in that comparison Australia is found wanting.

On the flip side, nobody wants to go to New Zealand compared to here. We've got a multi billion dollar international education sector, huge tourism drawcards, lots of immigration, all sorts of people coming from overseas. They've got what, a few people who want to go skiing in the southern winter, immigrants who can't get directly into Australia so they come in via the south east back door, and some fairly odd Welshmen with velcro gloves on from the moment they get off the plane.

On the flip side, nobody wants to go to New Zealand compared to here. We've got a multi billion dollar international education sector, huge tourism drawcards, lots of immigration, all sorts of people coming from overseas. They've got what, a few people who want to go skiing in the southern winter, immigrants who can't get directly into Australia so they come in via the south east back door, and some fairly odd Welshmen with velcro gloves on from the moment they get off the plane.
Classic!

Anyway, is our appeal really an excuse for poor border management? When the slogan for the current government was "Stop the boats!", the irony of the Ruby Princess should not be lost here. At the end of the day, they still prevented people coming in (albeit on a smaller scale) and had lockdown for an appropriate time without having to impose heavy fines or overly authoritarian measures and are now back to normalcy. Australia could have easily been at the same point by now. I am surprised there are as many cases as there currently are. Look at Australia vs Austria, for example. Austria was one of the first hit and has soft borders and has a similar number of total cases and only twice the number of deaths. That says quite a lot, IMO. Most of those deaths occurred during April and May, after the surprise of the initial wave. Australia is now suffering a large spike in deaths, which is strange, but possibly due to the complacency of recent weeks and the inability to maintain restrictions for a long period of time. Plus it is winter in Oz...

you should check out some of the other posts made by him. full nwo shit. and not hulk hogan nwo either.

Let me tell you something Mean Gene, the first thing you gotta realize, brother, is this right here is the future of Queensland! You can call this the new world organization of Queensand, brother.

Annastacia Palaszczuk offered me hundreds of dollars, Annastacia Palaszczuk offered me world calibre Covid protection. Well as far as Annastacia Palaszczuk and Queensland goes, I'm bored brother!

Then the Karens and the anti-vax weirdos came in, these are the guys that I want as my friends, brother.

For two months, I held my head high! I wore my masks, I stayed at home and the reception I get in Queensland, well you Queenslanders can stick it, brother!

Whatcha gonna do, when Hulk Hogan, the Karens and the New World Order run wild on you!

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.