Queensland 2013

Discussion in 'State of Origin 2012' started by Big Pete, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Old Mate

Old Mate NRL Player

8. Scott
    9. Smith
    10. Shillo
    11. Harrison
    12. Myles
    13. Parker

14. Thaiday
    15. Hannant
    16. McGuire
    17. Ballin/DCE/Taylor/Gillett/Te'o

Myles would still play up the middle.

That has to be our pack and bench, could maybe chuck Slater on the bench if we want to do the fb swap thing we used to do with GI starting.

2. OXY-351

OXY-351 NRL Player

I heard somewhere the otehr day that of the 9 origin series Hodges has been involved in, this is only the secodn one he's managed to play all 3 games. I guess some of teh early ones may have been due to form, but that still leaves a lot he's missed through injury.

3. Yep

These are the series he didn't complete due to injury...
    2011 (Missed the first two games)

Could even consider 2010 but he didn't play a game all season.

4. The Brizz

The Brizz Deactivated

1. Slater
    2. Tate/Yow Yeh/O'Neill
    3. Inglis
    4. Hodges
    5. Boyd
    6. Thurston
    7. Cronk
    8. Scott
    9. Smith
    10. Hannant
    11. Thaiday
    12. Myles
    13. Parker

14. Barba
    15. Shillington
    16. McGuire
    17. Taylor/Gillett

5. Force

Force BRL Player

Easy selection for a QLD team as its pretty much the same bar Civo.

1.Slater
    2.Boyd
    3.Inglis
    4.Hodges
    5.Tate
    6.Thurstan
    7.Cronk
    8.Scott
    9.Smith(c)
    10.Shillington
    11.Myles
    12.Thaiday
    13.Parker

14.McGuire
    15.Hannant
    16.Harrisson
    17.Taylor/Te'o/Lillyman

6. The Brizz

The Brizz Deactivated

I see absolutely no point in having Harrison in the team as good as he has been for us. Parker is a far superior player at lock who not only does his share defensively but adds something with his workrate and second phase in attack. Add to that Thaiday and Myles are big minute players so is McGuire who should come in directly for Civo. Harrisons spot should go to Barba the guy is a deadset freak.

7. Jeba

Jeba International

Yeh, I think Harrison has played his last Origin. Full credit to him for what he's done over the last 5 series but Parker is a much better option, and he really doesn't offer much off the bench.

8. Force

Force BRL Player

Yes Barba is a freak but where would you put him?...He wont get a run at fullback when Slater is fit which is his primary position.I reckon he'd be wasted on the bench and just end up another DCE '2012 ANZAC test' when he just kept the interchange seat warm all game.I dont think McGuire is an 80min Origin player just yet so I'd stick with Harrisson.

9. The Brizz

The Brizz Deactivated

The stamina of our forward pack is good enough for us to not require a 4 forward bench (it took about 50 minutes for either Te'o or Gillett to get on in game 3). WIth Barba you have him there to cover the 1-7 and 9 injuries and the other use for him is late in halves as a floating player running at tired bigger guys. As I said we lose nothing playing a 3 forward bench with the amount of big minute forwards we have.

10. jarro65

jarro65 State of Origin Rep

Unless we get an injury to one of those forwards

11. The Brizz

The Brizz Deactivated

And what if a bomb falls on the stadium?

Seriously if you pick a side on what-if's you are not selecting the right team.

12. dukey

dukey NRL Player

Depends on which stadium. If it's in Sydney, there are no casualties because nobody's at the game. If it's in Queensland, the coroner will struggle to identify the victims using dental records, as there are less teeth than there are bodies. If it's in Melbourne, it gets half a paragraph in the Herald Sun amongst twenty-eight pages of stories about AFL teams' mid week training.

13. Force

Force BRL Player

The 1-7 and 9 are 80min players so theres definitely no need for cover unless injury which I guess is why Gillett gets the nod where he can cover the centers and forwards.Te'o and Gillett didnt get on early but the forwards were still being rotated ,a lot of coaches do this to players lacking experience.I just see a potential Barba selection would mirror that of DCE and the ANZAC test where his spot was wasted.

14. m1c

m1c NRL Player

Hodges has to play. He is the best defensive centre in the game. Cannot believe people overlook the work he does in D in these big games.

15. Anonymous person

Anonymous person Banned User

9 missed tackles in game 3 says otherwise.

i dont think hodges has actually played enough "big games" to even have a basis for saying he does a lot of work in D in "big games". whats he played, 12 origins in as many years? he was all collar grabs in defense in game 3 especially.

16. Yeah, Hodges is an enigma. There's no doubt he's an absolute class player and on his day he is definitely the best centre in the world. But what makes him so? He's not particularly fast (at least not off a standing start). He doesn't hit gaps. He doesn't defend decisively (not a big hitter really).

It's hard to pick what it is about him that makes him so good (sometimes). Obviously his upper body strength for one, his ability to push off defenders, and to get offloads away in traffic. And that strength probably gives the illusion of him being a great defender, because most players he can collar grab and throw them to ground.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him for anyone at the Broncos, I just have never been able to work out what it is about him that makes him so good and so dominant sometimes. Maybe it all comes down to his attitude - when he's on and he wants to play a big game, he plays a big game.

17. Alec

Alec International Rep

Is this April 1st? The worst thing about Hodges is his defence.

18. How is Hodges a bad defender?
    Have you seen him play for the Broncos this year? He's been very good defensively.

19. When he's on, he's great. When he's not, he misreads play and gets wrong footed and ends up doing arm/collar grabs unsuccessfully.

Like I said, he's an enigma.

20. Alec

Alec International Rep

I've been watching him play since he started. He can put a good shot on, which is apparently enough for a lot of people, but he can be extremely lazy, a shirt grabber and often misreads the situation entirely. Certainly far behind real defensively good centres like Cooper (at least in the past), Lyon, Tate etc...shit, even Reed probably. But there aren't a lot of balanced centres like that NRL.