Queensland AFL State?

Let's look at the TV numbers then, let's be real it's not going to happen.

junior numbers is a pointless metric, soccer wins easily in that and what has that translated to?

Rugby league always has more barriers to entry in the juniors because of the physical nature and the same thing happens in the US with American football compared to Soccer but it is easily the number 1 sport when it comes to TV nothing else comes close.

Let’s see the tv numbers please, from a non-NRL aligned source.

I put up a link in the grand final thread about an NRL-AFL finals viewership numbers article. It debunks this theory badly.

In fact, the Lions v GWS final, two teams in league heartland, had more viewership than the Cowboys final on at the same time.

Overall finals viewership numbers has AFL COMFORTABLY ahead of the NRL.

The reality is, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a fan like you saying stuff like this, you are not paid to worry about it.

What concerns me is the powers that be don’t take it seriously. Vlandys even saying selling AFL to QLD is like selling meat to vegetarians is just a stupid comment from a corrupt idiot.

While the Broncs bombed out of the season early, the Lions have gone on to win the whole thing. I’d be very worried if I was the NRL.

And yes junior participation matters immensely because this exposure does not pay off over night, it takes a generation to show the impact.

In my opinion, given the respective finals viewership, we are already starting to see the beginnings of this long term work from the AFL come to fruition.

And all this at a time when the rugby league product that is the NRL is at an all time low in terms of quality, there are literally two teams each year now who can win it and usually, it is the Storm, Roosters or Penrith.

Come on man. Comparing the two eventual Grand Finalists with the Cowboys............................ keep it real.

Come on man. Comparing the two eventual Grand Finalists with the Cowboys............................ keep it real.

What? GWS didn't play in the Grand Final. This wasn't even the prelims, it was finals week 2.

And no one knew at the time Brisbane was making the Grand Final, they were coming from 5th, only one other team has won it from the top 4.

What? GWS didn't play in the Grand Final. This wasn't even the prelims, it was finals week 2.

And no one knew at the time Brisbane was making the Grand Final, they were coming from 5th, only one other team has won it from the top 4.

lol yeah I read GWS and my brain said Swans. Carry on, nothing to see here.

I lived in Western sydney when they brought in gws. This is the type of crap that has made it such a HUGE failure there.

Media jams it down our throats, afl people wear their gear around like everyone should know who it is, talk it's taking over, and talk about how great a sport it is and how ridiculous it is you don't like it like 99.99999% of the world doesn't.

It pisses off potential fans. Some people, the vast majority in qld and nsw, do not like it. Stop pretending it will take over ffs. They won 3 in a row 20 years ago, 3 in a bloody row. What more do you need? It's so tiring, boring and arrogant from afl fans. I don't go to spain and jam nrl down people's throats by wearing the jersey everywhere and forcing it onto their tvs and telling them how much h better it is than soccer.

Most people wearing a lions hat in brisbane couldn't name 5 players. And half the people on the street wouldn't know they won it last week. Compare that to if the broncos won it, even the dolphins. "The year they won the afl premierhsip" will be a trivia question for brisbane people in 5 years AGAIN.

Live together with nrl or **** off...

I used to hate AFL, think it was garbage, boring, all of that.

They haven't tried to tinker their game too much though where as in Rugby League, it feels like there's a signicant rule change every off-season.

I lived in Western sydney when they brought in gws. This is the type of crap that has made it such a HUGE failure there.

Media jams it down our throats, afl people wear their gear around like everyone should know who it is, talk it's taking over, and talk about how great a sport it is and how ridiculous it is you don't like it like 99.99999% of the world doesn't.

It pisses off potential fans. Some people, the vast majority in qld and nsw, do not like it. Stop pretending it will take over ffs. They won 3 in a row 20 years ago, 3 in a bloody row. What more do you need? It's so tiring, boring and arrogant from afl fans. I don't go to spain and jam nrl down people's throats by wearing the jersey everywhere and forcing it onto their tvs and telling them how much h better it is than soccer.

Most people wearing a lions hat in brisbane couldn't name 5 players. And half the people on the street wouldn't know they won it last week. Compare that to if the broncos won it, even the dolphins. "The year they won the afl premierhsip" will be a trivia question for brisbane people in 5 years AGAIN.

Live together with nrl or **** off...

Right, thanks Vlandys.

Now let's again look at the facts, which yes I know people don't like because it shows the NRL is in trouble. This is the most up to date I can find and are from the official respective websites (unfortunately and embarrassingly, the NRL's isn't even the most up to date source here):

Memberships 2024
Sydney Swans - 73757
Brisbane Lions - 63268

Brisbane Broncos - 40207
GWS - 36629
Redcliffe - 35536
Parramatta - 35015
Gold Coast Suns - 26157
Canberra - 24060
Canterbury - 22000
St George - 21124
Wests - 20859
Easts - 20072
Cronulla - 14384
Gold Coast Titans - 13124

Now look, I understand in some cases it is comparing apples and oranges and really, you would need to combine the western Sydney teams to compare with GWS but look at where the AFL clubs sit there.

The best comparison of all is the Gold Coast because they are in direct competition - the Suns have DOUBLE the amount of memberships as the Titans and both teams SUCK.

Again, I am sure this will read to you as the AFL is great and the NRL isn't but no, this is to show the powers that be cannot afford to have your attitude, it is out of touch with reality and what the data is proving and that is, this old, stubborn mindset is no longer relevant and burying the head in the sand is allowing the AFL to take more and more league heartland.

I love the AFL but I don't want to be seeing this, I'm also a fan of what league once was and I want league to be thriving. All the relevant data shows that while it is far from being dead of course, it is trending alarmingly in the wrong direction compared to its biggest competitor.

Right, thanks Vlandys.

Now let's again look at the facts, which yes I know people don't like because it shows the NRL is in trouble. This is the most up to date I can find and are from the official respective websites (unfortunately and embarrassingly, the NRL's isn't even the most up to date source here):

Memberships 2024
Sydney Swans - 73757
Brisbane Lions - 63268

Brisbane Broncos - 40207
GWS - 36629
Redcliffe - 35536
Parramatta - 35015
Gold Coast Suns - 26157
Canberra - 24060
Canterbury - 22000
St George - 21124
Wests - 20859
Easts - 20072
Cronulla - 14384
Gold Coast Titans - 13124

Now look, I understand in some cases it is comparing apples and oranges and really, you would need to combine the western Sydney teams to compare with GWS but look at where the AFL clubs sit there.

The best comparison of all is the Gold Coast because they are in direct competition - the Suns have DOUBLE the amount of memberships as the Titans and both teams SUCK.

Again, I am sure this will read to you as the AFL is great and the NRL isn't but no, this is to show the powers that be cannot afford to have your attitude, it is out of touch with reality and what the data is proving and that is, this old, stubborn mindset is no longer relevant and burying the head in the sand is allowing the AFL to take more and more league heartland.

I love the AFL but I don't want to be seeing this, I'm also a fan of what league once was and I want league to be thriving. All the relevant data shows that while it is far from being dead of course, it is trending alarmingly in the wrong direction compared to its biggest competitor.
Its not about underestimating anyone, its about the afl over estimating itself eg gws. And jamming it down our throats.

Memberships are only part of the picture, a very very poor representation of what the population watches and buys into.

I lived in Western sydney, I now live in Brisbane again. Most of those members are probably from the same family (eg signing up their babies and dogs which afl has been PROVEN to do), ex victorians, children of Victorians or people living in Victoria. Have you been to the gold coast lately? I can assure, league is stronger there than it is in most other areas. Half the populatio has links to sydney teams given the large migration from nsw. It is NOT taking over. The Suns are in as much trouble as gws. The arrogance is actually extraordinary. Storm have good membership numbers and get good tv ratings and crowds, you ever heard an nrl person suggest it's taking over afl in Victoria. NO. It's just bloody boring hearing the same fairyland stuff brought up. Nrl is 110 years ahead of the afl in qld and nsw.

3 premierships and it didn't take over at a time when the nrl was bumbling its way around from an administration point of view. As much as I also hate vlandys, he at least won't stand back and be passive.

The VAST majority in qld and nsw could not name 5 afl players. You surely cannot deny that.

Its not about underestimating anyone, its about the afl over estimating itself eg gws. And jamming it down our throats.

Memberships are only part of the picture, a very very poor representation of what the population watches and buys into.

I lived in Western sydney, I now live in Brisbane again. Most of those members are probably from the same family (eg signing up their babies and dogs which afl has been PROVEN to do), ex victorians, children of Victorians or people living in Victoria. Have you been to the gold coast lately? I can assure, league is stronger there than it is in most other areas. Half the populatio has links to sydney teams given the large migration from nsw. It is NOT taking over. The Suns are in as much trouble as gws. The arrogance is actually extraordinary. Storm have good membership numbers and get good tv ratings and crowds, you ever heard an nrl person suggest it's taking over afl in Victoria. NO. It's just bloody boring hearing the same fairyland stuff brought up. Nrl is 110 years ahead of the afl in qld and nsw.

3 premierships and it didn't take over at a time when the nrl was bumbling its way around from an administration point of view. As much as I also hate vlandys, he at least won't stand back and be passive.

The VAST majority in qld and nsw could not name 5 afl players. You surely cannot deny that.

I surely can deny that. You don't think many people in Qld / NSW right now don't know who Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Cam Rayner, Will Ashcroft, Harris Andrews and Isaac Heeney are? Turn it up.

I bet most of them even know who Jonathon Brown, Simon Black, Micheal Voss and Jason Akermanis are too and they've been retired 20 years.

Your entire argument is based on the premise that your outdated view is the same as everyone else's it isn't, your entire retort about GWS memberships being all one family and dogs, etc highlights that.

Again, look at the facts, not the oh 110 years of history, everything will be fine argument. Participation at grassroots level in league heartland is overwhelmingly in favour of the AFL now.

Consider two finals: GWS v Lions - two teams in league heartland outperformed Cowboys v Knights - two teams in league exclusive heartland by almost 200000 despite being on the same day.

The NRL GF viewership was released an hour ago - 3.420 million.
The AFL GF featuring two teams from league heartland? - 4.024 million.

So yeah, the NRL can continue to bury its head, it is what it does best, doesn't change the fact the AFL is taking over swathes of its heartland.

When I was a kid, I would have laughed at anyone saying the Wallabies will work their way into irrelevance...look at them now. That change didn't just happen over night, it was on the back of some seriously bad decisions piling on top of each other...sound familiar?

I surely can deny that. You don't think many people in Qld / NSW right now don't know who Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Cam Rayner, Will Ashcroft, Harris Andrews and Isaac Heeney are? Turn it up.

I bet most of them even know who Jonathon Brown, Simon Black, Micheal Voss and Jason Akermanis are too and they've been retired 20 years.

Your entire argument is based on the premise that your outdated view is the same as everyone else's it isn't, your entire retort about GWS memberships being all one family and dogs, etc highlights that.

Again, look at the facts, not the oh 110 years of history, everything will be fine argument. Participation at grassroots level in league heartland is overwhelmingly in favour of the AFL now.

Consider two finals: GWS v Lions - two teams in league heartland outperformed Cowboys v Knights - two teams in league exclusive heartland by almost 200000 despite being on the same day.

So yeah, the NRL can continue to bury its head, it is what it does best, doesn't change the fact the AFL is taking over swathes of its heartland.

When I was a kid, I would have laughed at anyone saying the Wallabies will work their way into irrelevance...look at them now. That change didn't just happen over night, it was on the back of some seriously bad decisions piling on top of each other...sound familiar?
The arrogance of afl fans is insane... just insane. It's like talking to a priest about religion. Nrl fans aren't burying their heads the sand as much as you lot have your heads up in the clouds. You mention the ratings when it suits. It rated well BCOS they were out of afl territory. You get the Victorians watching it no matter who's playing PLUS the anomaly/sideshow/bit of fun out of towners watching their local side. It always happens that way, all the largest ratings in HISTORY have been non-washed on fan area teams in the afl and nrl. You better hope the lions have a Melbourne storm like 50 years or else you will be yelling at clouds again..

And honestly, who the hell is Simon black 🤣🤣🤣 not even joking there. You're looking from your perspective BIG TIME. I could survey on the street now and they would t know half those people, just like every single workplace I've ever worked at, and I talk to 100's of different people a week in my job with people from all works of life

Ps. Enjoy your day, can't wait to see the 100,000s line the street for the trophy parade in the city.....

In regards to viewing figures, you are comparing a 5 state competition to a 2 state competition. 600k more viewers in the scheme of things with that in mind isnt that much really.

In regards to viewing figures, you are comparing a 5 state competition to a 2 state competition. 600k more viewers in the scheme of things with that in mind isnt that much really.

Again, I get it, I'm on a league forum and I get this is coming across as an attack on the NRL and that the AFL is awesome but that isn't my meaning. My meaning is simply that the NRL admin must not reflect this kind of mindset that so many fans have, that's really all basically.

Again, I get it, I'm on a league forum and I get this is coming across as an attack on the NRL and that the AFL is awesome but that isn't my meaning. My meaning is simply that the NRL admin must not reflect this kind of mindset that so many fans have, that's really all basically.

I've got very little interest in AFL tbf so i dont really have much of an opinion, i was just pointing out 600k difference in viewers really isnt much considering AFL is more widespread across the country than Rugby League. Not sure if they are out there, but it would be interesting to see AFL vs NRL grand final viewing figures for QLD and nsw to see which one is ahead of the other.

At the moment, the NRL do probably need to up their game, but its not like the AFL are streets ahead of the NRL in a lot of ways.

League in Queensland at a registered junior club in 2024- 70,903.
AFL in Queensland including after school day care programs that shouldn't be included-64,000.

NSW - League 2024- 117,282.
NSW -AFL 2024 56,500 again including a 15-minute kick after school and a backpack.

I've got very little interest in AFL tbf so i dont really have much of an opinion, i was just pointing out 600k difference in viewers really isnt much considering AFL is more widespread across the country than Rugby League. Not sure if they are out there, but it would be interesting to see AFL vs NRL grand final viewing figures for QLD and nsw to see which one is ahead of the other.

At the moment, the NRL do probably need to up their game, but its not like the AFL are streets ahead of the NRL in a lot of ways.

Of course but remember, the AFL were miles behind not that long ago. The NRL needs to be proactive here, not reactive.

I wish this is what the Broncos were like too.

I can tell you there’s no AFL getting pushed in my son’s state school. It’s league all day.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • RolledOates
  • Manlyman
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • Dash
  • Locky24
  • johnny plath
  • Bronx48
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Adammacca
  • Old Mate
  • Fozz
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.