Queensland Bulls 2015/2016

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The my FootDR Queensland Bulls will welcome a new leader for 2015-16 with top order batsman Usman Khawaja announced today as captain.

Khawaja, currently on tour in India as captain of Australia ‘A’, was confirmed as the new skipper by the Board of Queensland Cricket on Tuesday night and informed of the decision in the aftermath of his player-of-the-match effort in the opening triangular one-day series against South Africa ‘A’ in Chennai on Wednesday.
Queensland Cricket Chairman Jim Holding said the Board had enthusiastically endorsed the unanimous recommendation of the Queensland Selection Panel that Khawaja should take on the Bulls leadership role for the first time.

“Usman has shown his class and ability on numerous occasions on the field since moving to Queensland a few seasons ago, but he has also demonstrated his maturity and vision to many of us away from the playing arena,’’ he said.
“He is an impressive thinker about the game and we feel that he commands the respect of the group through his words and deeds.”

“The Board believes Usman will complement the dedication and expertise of Queensland coach Phil Jaques, who has impressed everyone with his hard work, attention to detail and willingness to provide the ideal environment for the playing group and coaching staff to excel,’’ Holding said.

“We congratulate Usman on his appointment and look forward to him returning from the Australia ‘A’ tour to prepare for the coming season for Queensland,’’ he said.
The 28-year-old left-hander will take over the reins from allrounder James Hopes, who stepped down from the role at the end of last season.

Khawaja paid tribute to his predecessor today and thanked him for his efforts for Queensland.
“Hopesy has been a legend for Queensland and I’m pleased he is playing on,’’ he said. “One of the things I will be looking forward to this summer is walking out with him when he plays his 100[SUP]th[/SUP] game for the Bulls this season as I know how much he has devoted to the game here.’’

“I’m greatly honoured to be appointed Queensland captain, as I know how much the Bulls mean to the fans around the State. I will be out to do my best to continue to work with the rest of the players to make us successful,’’ he said.
“We have a lot of guys in the squad who are poised to make a big impact in Australian cricket and one of our collective goals will be to work hard to ensure we are ready when opportunities arise.”
“It’s going to be exciting getting back to Brisbane to catch up with ‘Jaquesy’ and the rest of the boys and put our plans into action when the season starts,” he said.

Originally from NSW where he made his first class debut in 2008, Khawaja shifted to Queensland for the 2012-13 season, subsequently representing Australia at Test level and making his One Day International debut.

Khawaja, who made his Test debut in Sydney in 2011, has played nine Tests and three ODIs so far in his career.
In first class cricket, he has now played 89 matches, scoring 5558 runs with a highest score of 214.
He has played 16 first class matches for the Bulls, scoring 1044 runs at 43.50, and 19 one-day games, producing 1206 runs at 67.00 including three centuries and eight half centuries.

Injury forced him to miss the second half of last season but he has successfully fought back from a knee reconstruction following a training accident while preparing for the KFC T20 Big Bash League with the Sydney Thunder in December.

Khawaja will join the Bulls pre-season later this month following the Australia ‘A’ tour, with Queensland’s first course of action being the Matador BBQs One Day Cup campaign in Sydney in October.
“We’ve had a reasonable record in the past two one-day tournaments so we should approach things with a degree of confidence,’’ he said.

A qualified commercial pilot, Khawaja will be the first player from the Valley club to captain Queensland since Matthew Hayden took on the job for four games during the reigns of Stuart Law and Jimmy Maher.

Great for Khawaja to be made captain. I hope he does a great job. It is an important season for the Bulls this year. Hopefully Lynn can get through the whole season. I hear Ben Cutting has put on a bit of weight with the hope he can bowl quicker this year.

One day squad named on Monday. Lynn will be Heat captain and stand in captain if needed for Bulls.

The my FootDR Queensland Bulls will welcome three debutants and a new skipper for their Matador BBQs one-day Cup campaign in Sydney next month. Batsman Chris Lynn will take on the captaincy for the three-week tournament following the selection of Bulls captain Usman Khawaja to tour Bangladesh with the Australian Test team at the same time next month.

Towering fast bowler Billy Stanlake, English-born batsman Charlie Hemphrey and South-African born Marnus Labuschagne have all been included in a Queensland one-day side for the first time. Both Hemphrey, who scored a century for the Bulls in the last Sheffield Shield match last season, and Labuschagne made their first class debuts for Queensland in 2014-15. Labuschagne, 21, played five Sheffield Shield games last season and has come from outside the Bulls squad after impressing during recent pre-season practice games where he scored two half centuries in three games. The Redlands right-hander was offered the opportunity to train with the Bulls and Queensland Academy of Sport squads during the off-season after he missed a State playing contract and has successfully fought his way back into contention. The 204cm Stanlake, 20, is yet to represent Queensland at senior level but was an Australian Under-19 squad member for two seasons and attended the Bupa National Cricket Centre last year as a national performance squad scholar.

Khawaja and Joe Burns, who was upgraded last week to a National playing contract, will leave with the Australian side for the two-Test tour of Bangladesh at the same time as the Bulls relocate to Sydney to prepare for their first game against Tasmania at North Sydney Oval on Monday 5 October. It will be the first time the two sides have met in a List A match since last year’s extraordinary Matador Cup game when the Tigers, off the back of 229 from Ben Dunk, scored 1-398 only for the Bulls to chase down the target in a record run chase to finish 3-402 thanks to centuries from Khawaja and Chris Hartley. Khawaja warmed up for the forthcoming tour in style on Saturday, scoring an unbeaten double century for his my FootDR Premier Cricket club Valley against Toombul. Khawaja finished 201 not out as he and Queensland Under-19 batsman Jack Beath (82) put on a 204-run stand for the second wicket. The left-handed opener hit 17 fours and three sixes. It was the second double century in as many weeks, with Lynn scoring 209 in a one-day game last week. The Bulls will play six games in the Matador Cup, with four of them broadcast live on GEM. Queensland won the competition in 2013-14 and were beaten in the preliminary final last summer.

2015-16 Matador BBQs One Day Cup – My FootDR Queensland Bulls Squad Cameron Boyce Ben Cutting Luke Feldman Peter Forrest Chris Hartley Charlie Hemphrey James Hopes Marnus Labuschagne Chris Lynn (c) Simon Milenko Michael Neser Nathan Reardon Billy Stanlake Mark Steketee.

Lynn's one day season over. Dislocated shoulder.

First few rounds of Shield not looking likely either.

Last edited:
How can one guy get injured so often?.. And they aren't even common "Injury prone" injuries either, just random shit.

Forrest new captain; Peirson into the team.

How can one guy get injured so often?.. And they aren't even common "Injury prone" injuries either, just random shit.

Yeah he missed half a season with a busted nut and does his shoulder during fielding practice. Just ridiculous.

Peirson back out for Burns.
Khawaja back in but Labuschagne stays with squad until Khawja can play the second half of the comp due to hammy injury.

Bulls 4/23

Burns 0
Hartley 5
Labuschagne 10
Forrest 5

Well...even the cricket is bringing us further down today.

Can this 24 hours get any worse

Terrible start to the summer; 9 wicket loss.

Victoria on Friday night.

Shocker for Joe Burns. Golden duck while all his competition for a test spot hit a century

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • broncoscope
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • BroncsNBundy
  • marw
  • Fatboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.