Q-Cup Queensland Cup 2021

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Threads
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Walters gave Mam a shot before the season wrapped. I don't think he's anywhere near ready but he's stood up for the Magpies and always seems to have one big play in him.

I still think realistically you can't expect much out of either until 2023 at the earliest. They may get blooded which is one thing, but actually making an impact in first grade on a week to week basis is another.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Walters gave Mam a shot before the season wrapped. I don't think he's anywhere near ready but he's stood up for the Magpies and always seems to have one big play in him.

I still think realistically you can't expect much out of either until 2023 at the earliest. They may get blooded which is one thing, but actually making an impact in first grade on a week to week basis is another.
From what I’ve seen he’d compliment Reynolds well. He’s similar to Staggs except with some of Staggs’ attributes turned down and some 5/8th attributes turned up.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads
1 1910 Wolfie Wolfie how many more seasons before young Ezra is ready? Mozer? Are they part of the reason why we've only made one big signing?

2023 at the earliest if everything goes perfectly.

Mam isn't close to NRL ready but he is the type of player that attracts attention because he scores tries.

What are the skills you want your half to have in NRL- kicking, organising and try assists- he doesn't do any of that for Souths. He runs and has fun- which is fine for an 18 year old three games in. You could carry him if you have a Cleary but not any other way.

Ezra was good again in MM yesterday, he's enjoyable to watch. Five tries in six games in MM this year and kicks goals.

Mozer, I love watching play Alf and he was great in MM this year but I think his next step will be Colts next year and see how he goes there the plan is for him to have a break once ALF has finished and then he's played a season of MM and school footy. Physically no way he could defend in the middle in an NRL game at the moment.

He will train with the NRL side next year and play Colts and hopefully some ISC from mid year.

The Broncos are trying to get a 'teacher' for him for the next two years.

They're spine players too, it's one thing for Coates, Cobbo and Fifita to go from MM a few ISC games and then NRL but spine has a lot of learning to do.

Walker did it from MM to NRL but I don't think it will happen too many times with spine.

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Threads
2023 at the earliest if everything goes perfectly.

Mam isn't close to NRL ready but he is the type of player that attracts attention because he scores tries.

What are the skills you want your half to have in NRL- kicking, organising and try assists- he doesn't do any of that for Souths. He runs and has fun- which is fine for an 18 year old three games in. You could carry him if you have a Cleary but not any other way.

Mozer, I love watching play Alf and he was great in MM this year but I think his next step will be Colts next year and see how he goes there the plan is for him to have a break once ALF has finished and then he's played a season of MM and school footy. Physically no way he could defend in the middle in an NRL game at the moment.

He will train with the NRL side next year and play Colts and hopefully some ISC from mid year.

The Broncos are trying to get a 'teacher' for him for the next two years.

They're spine players too, it's one thing for Coates, Cobbo and Fifita to go from MM a few ISC games and then NRL but spine has a lot of learning to do.

Walker did it from MM to NRL but I don't think it will happen too many times with spine.
What is Ezra’s height / weight? Cant find that info anywhere.

Foordy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
Bullemor was impressive as was, believe it or not, Levi. But I thought the stand out was Pulu. Weird ol' game.

since you seem to watch the ISC, i have a question for you.

has Vlandysball infected that comp yet? or do they still play rugby league in the ISC?

Sproj

International Captain
Forum Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Threads

has Vlandysball infected that comp yet? or do they still play rugby league in the ISC?

It has unfortunately yes but nowhere near the extent of the NRL. They are a lot more sensible with the head highs for example. They also call players to play on the mark.

Huge

International Rep
Mar 7, 2008
Threads
It has unfortunately yes but nowhere near the extent of the NRL. They are a lot more sensible with the head highs for example. They also call players to play on the mark.
That happened in one of the NRL games within the last two days! I truly was shocked to hear a ref yelling at the attacking player to 'stop pushing into the markers' ...one of my all time annoyances. I just wished they started penalising the attacker for doing that and relentlessly pushing forward off the mark.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads

I think it's had minimal impact, the games haven't changed too much at all. A lot of players say they're gassed but it's not impacting games. I haven't done the numbers but the scores haven't blown out like in the NRL.

Penalties are a bit down but not a lot- 2019 most penalised team was the Falcons av 9 a game, 2021 it's Tweed av 6.9.

Falcons came first and Tweed are coming third.

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Threads
This is pretty cool. Qld squad practising against Wynnum Manly (Facebook link):

Gulls probably put up more of a challenge than the Broncos.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads
This is pretty cool. Qld squad practising against Wynnum Manly (Facebook link):

Gulls probably put up more of a challenge than the Broncos.

All depends on the coach! When Kevvie was coach Jets always got the gig, Green so Wynnum get the gig.

State of Origin Captain
Apr 14, 2013
Threads
Sexton two year extension at Titans. Staying until end of ‘24.

Astute, he’s going well.

"It (the contract extension) probably gives me added confidence given that I still haven't' played my first first grade game," Sexton said.

Despite watching some high profile team-mates from the 2019 Australian Schoolboys side make their NRL debuts this season, Sexton says patience is the key as he pushes for a first grade start.

"I am not trying to look too far ahead," he said.

"I see my mates playing first grade like Reecey Walsh and Sam Walker and they are killing it.

"But I have got to look at it long term. Short term I think it has affected some young blokes who have come up but Q-Cup has been a really good competition for me to grow as an individual and play against men on a week to week basis.

"If the opportunity came about I would put my hand up and be confident to play but I have to take it one step at a time."

Could Sexton and James be anymore sensible and thought provoking.

Too conservative for that, I imagine James thinks three craft beers at home and Thai take away is loose and might halt his career.

Probably stays up all night worried about his pinch test the next day- which he probably does himself each morning.

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22
24 10 14 -36 22
24 10 14 -97 22
24 8 16 -142 18
24 8 16 -171 18
24 8 16 -214 18
24 7 17 -249 16
24 7 17 -288 16
24 3 21 -370 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrtij
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.