Q-CUP Queensland Cup 2021

Mariner named player of Qld Schoolboys carnival.

Then named in Qld schoolboys team with six Broncos.
Mariner, Faatili, Mozer, Gray, Te Kura...

who am I missing?

Jordan Grant train/trial deal at Storm.
This annoys me. He's just such an obvious choice for a club to get a close look at and of course we don't get him, but your team the Storm do.

Cobbo pulled out today, training with the big boys.

Debuting on the wing next week you reckon? Would be a good time to get him a game out there with Coates presumably playing Origin.

Debuting on the wing next week you reckon? Would be a good time to get him a game out there with Coates presumably playing Origin.

He's getting close. I still have reservations but I know I am too conservative but when you're best and only weapon is running I just get the worries on. I just don't think you can do that in NRL. I would resist the urge to play him. It's not like his form has been Inglis like and you just can't ignore him and give him a run during Origin.

I have always wondered this but are teams that use the Qld cup as compared to the NSW cup unfairly disadvantaged on their youth/reserve ranks because they spread their players amongst multiple teams(Such in our case Devils, Seagulls, Magpies) As opposed to NSW cup teams that have them all in one, now we could give more time to players if there is a few in each position but they have the advantage of having their whole squad playing together Which can help players be much more ready to jump straight into first grade under a same or similar system.

I have always wondered this but are teams that use the Qld cup as compared to the NSW cup unfairly disadvantaged on their youth/reserve ranks because they spread their players amongst multiple teams(Such in our case Devils, Seagulls, Magpies) As opposed to NSW cup teams that have them all in one, now we could give more time to players if there is a few in each position but they have the advantage of having their whole squad playing together Which can help players be much more ready to jump straight into first grade under a same or similar system.
Yes absolutely there is a disadvantage imo. It also gives the first grade head coach less ability to implement systems that are used in first grade which would allow for players to slot in when called upon.

Yes absolutely there is a disadvantage imo. It also gives the first grade head coach less ability to implement systems that are used in first grade which would allow for players to slot in when called upon.
I wonder if we would be allowed to just put in all our best into one of the teams or do teams in QLD Cup run independent to the NRL teams they are affiliated with, and only play players on a need basis?

There's arguments for and against that model. I know with the Broncos they wanted to secure the three pathways because the threat Brisbane 2 had and they wanted those affiliate pathways.

Penrith have certainly made a compelling argument for in-house development, but you'll find that a lot of NSW clubs still use affiliate clubs. It's very similar to the Qld situation where a select group trains with the NRL squad before going to their affiliates and filling whatever role is asked of them.

It largely comes down to money. A lot of NSW clubs were actually looking to get into the Queensland Cup because they found the deals more valuable. However the NSWRL put a kabosh to that by threatening their inclusion in SG Ball and Harold Matts. They didn't try and improve the NSW Cup competition or anything like that to make it better they just had these clubs over a barrel.

There's arguments for and against that model. I know with the Broncos they wanted to secure the three pathways because the threat Brisbane 2 had and they wanted those affiliate pathways.

Penrith have certainly made a compelling argument for in-house development, but you'll find that a lot of NSW clubs still use affiliate clubs. It's very similar to the Qld situation where a select group trains with the NRL squad before going to their affiliates and filling whatever role is asked of them.

It largely comes down to money. A lot of NSW clubs were actually looking to get into the Queensland Cup because they found the deals more valuable. However the NSWRL put a kabosh to that by threatening their inclusion in SG Ball and Harold Matts. They didn't try and improve the NSW Cup competition or anything like that to make it better they just had these clubs over a barrel.
I would say at current Penrith are proving that the NSW cup model is far superior.

I live in Windsor(Suburb in Sydney) and the club here Windsor Wolves used to be the NSW cup side for Penrith but when Gould came in he made it all in house and the NSW cup side is based with the NRL team now and the coaching systems are all linked and it allows players to play with each other for years before making 1st grade effectively giving them more experience and chemistry with the team they start with in first grade.

It's turned proven knowledge of what makes a good team on its head because Penrith's team has just as much experience as our team and historically a team low in experience struggles in first grade but because they can deal with that in the lower grade system having a huge youth intake of similar ages playing together they seamlessly transition into first grade if you take a big chunk of them at once.

Unless there is a National 2nd tier competition I think we will always be disadvantaged on this.

Petero Medal after round 8.

Cullen 14
Campbell 11
Chudleigh 10
Scarlett 10
Berrell 9
Stuckey 9
Booth 7
Hampson 7
Luki 7
Ahearn 6
Mullany 6

I would have thought Scarlett an Cullen swapped to be honest.

I would say at current Penrith are proving that the NSW cup model is far superior.

I live in Windsor(Suburb in Sydney) and the club here Windsor Wolves used to be the NSW cup side for Penrith but when Gould came in he made it all in house and the NSW cup side is based with the NRL team now and the coaching systems are all linked and it allows players to play with each other for years before making 1st grade effectively giving them more experience and chemistry with the team they start with in first grade.

It's turned proven knowledge of what makes a good team on its head because Penrith's team has just as much experience as our team and historically a team low in experience struggles in first grade but because they can deal with that in the lower grade system having a huge youth intake of similar ages playing together they seamlessly transition into first grade if you take a big chunk of them at once.

Unless there is a National 2nd tier competition I think we will always be disadvantaged on this.
Like I said, Penrith make a compelling argument however that isn't the standard across the entire competition. North Sydney, Blacktown, Newtown, Mounties, Western Suburbs etc. all compete at this level and it's only been in the last couple of years that Wentworthville and Wyong have made way. What you'll find is, those clubs act independently and they're loaned players by their NRL affiliates to bolster their roster.

On one side you have Penrith and on the other you have the defending premiers Melbourne who operate under the same system as the Broncos. It suggests to me that there are pros and cons to both systems and while from a fan perspective it maybe nice to have it all under one umbrella it may not be as useful as it sounds.

For me the lesson with Penrith wasn't what Gus did with the NSW Cup team. It was everything underneath and the pathway into the NRL team. Despite having one of the best junior catchments in the game, Penrith would rush all their young players into first grade. Not only would that take a toll on the Lachlan Cootes, Tim Grants, Wade Grahams etc. but it denied their junior players the experience of being successful. So when Gus brought in the Newtons, Kites, Sowards, Wallaces etc. it just gave their younger players time to develop and prosper at the appropriate levels. The first generation of talent didn't pan out, but the ones who came through from U/14s on have really prospered.

So I feel like going on a Q Cup deep dive. Who are the players from each club that are worth having a look at in regards to potential and those who would fit in at the NRL level?

So I feel like going on a Q Cup deep dive. Who are the players from each club that are worth having a look at in regards to potential and those who would fit in at the NRL level?

I don’t think we should answer this question. Not because I don’t want to, more because I don’t want to do Badel’s job for him.

I'm keen to get someones impression on wynnnum manlys fullback who got a Hattrick last week.

Well, look no further then 7:30pm this evening when Jayden Campbell tears apart the Storm. God, I miss Presto.

I don’t think we should answer this question. Not because I don’t want to, more because I don’t want to do Badel’s job for him.
Not necessarily Broncos linked players by the way. Maybe we should start a discord or something so we have some privacy to discuss these matters without sneaky Pete's involvement?

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • mystico
  • Fitzy
  • Jeza23
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • theshed
  • Stix
  • Adammacca
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Morepudding
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • something
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.