Queensland Preliminary Squad

Are you saying you'd say no if Staggy offered to flop it on and hug you?

OXY-351 said:
shaneomac said:
i think QLD selectors have it set in their mind from 2 years ago about michaels. he would have been there before boyd until that season ending knee injury

Wasn't that last year, not 2 years ago?

yes injured last year and good form 2 years ago where he was picked before boyd (for the broncos).

A few things.

- Fair enough Kenny has been setting the world alight latley, but imo he gets dominated too many times and if he were to play we would lose a bit of momentum IMO when ebony and ivory have a rest. Shillington rips and tears a bit more, I think he will definitley make his debut this year.

- Michaels? Pretty sure Mal was on the crack when he chose him, he has been useless, heaps better players than him going around right now. Can't defend or pass.

- I don't know what Neville Costigan most of you lot have been watching, but he has been going great guns. I would pick him on the bench.

1. Slater
2. Folau
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Johnson

14. Hunt
15. Costigan
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

Harrison has to be there IMO. Did a fantastic job last year.

Je$ter said:
A few things.

- Fair enough Kenny has been setting the world alight latley, but imo he gets dominated too many times and if he were to play we would lose a bit of momentum IMO when ebony and ivory have a rest. Shillington rips and tears a bit more, I think he will definitley make his debut this year.

- Michaels? Pretty sure Mal was on the crack when he chose him, he has been useless, heaps better players than him going around right now. Can't defend or pass.

- I don't know what Neville Costigan most of you lot have been watching, but he has been going great guns. I would pick him on the bench.

1. Slater
2. Folau
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Johnson

14. Hunt
15. Costigan
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

I think you're pretty spot on with the side they'll name, but they might start Hunt to take some of the initial punishment and bring Slater on when the game opens up a bit. It's a strong side.

Je$ter said:
1. Slater
2. Folau
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Johnson

14. Hunt
15. Costigan
16. Shillington
17. Hannant

+1000! I love that side. I also agree with Jazza in starting Hunt until the sting is out of their kick chase. Harrison IMO offers just as little as Johnson and/or Luck do you can't carry two of them. I was worried about having 4 props but when you consider Thaiday and Johnson are 80 minute players and Price, Civo and Hannant all play big minutes for props I think its a non-issue. You need an X-factor backrower/prop on your bench in Origin and Costigan is going really well, bring him on after 30 minutes to deck some guys and get the team pumped up.

Agree. I'd have no complaints with the side with changes as Gymp describes.

As for halfback, Thurston or Prince, whoever's in better form at selection time. Neither will let you down.

That's a good looking team Jester, although I'd start Hunt and bring Slater on after 25 or so. It will take a huge effort from NSW to beat us IMO.

It's probably the side that will end up getting picked but I reckon Johnson is going ordinary this year, Harrison has been much better. I know Johnson has worked his arse off for Qld but Harrison offers much more in attack and is just as good in defence.

True, agree with that as well Dave. Plus I think Johnson is overrated by most Queenslanders :P Made to look good in a dominant Melbourne and Queensland side.

But who would you include as your bench back rower?

Coxy I would actually start Costigan - just get him to whack blokes in blue jerseys from the kick off - bugger waiting until the 30th minute to smash some NSW fairies, let Nev rip in from the start. Have Harrison on the bench with the other guys named - Hunt, Hannant and Shillington.

We will have Thaiday and Myles out there from the start for a balance you need someone who is there solely to work. Sure Thaiday has improved this in his game but he attacks and defends to wide to have the impact a Johnson/Harrison/Luck has in chopping guys down through the middle of the ruck. You have to have one mule and he has to play 80 minutes, I would pick Luck but the selectors will go with Johnson which is still fine he won't let us down.

I don't think Thaiday will play 80 in Origin. Bear in mind we can play Hunt in that rover role at lock as the forwards get tired.

Perhaps start Hunt at fullback, let Myles kill people for 15 then have a spell, Hunt to back row, Slater fullback, then we have 4 fresh forwards on the bench for rotation?

I think it's stupid having 2 FB's in this side - actually 3 with Boyd.

In my book, on form ATM, Hunt is lay down misere for FB, and there's no place for Slater. Boyd would also be a back-up if Hunt is hurt.

Hunt as lock? What on earth for? He's a lethal attacking weapon from the back.

I like Harrison at lock - good defender, good in attack, quick, and he can ball-play.

Johnson and Luck/Myles as starting back rowers with Sammy off the bench for impact.

rnabokov said:
Hunt as lock? What on earth for? He's a lethal attacking weapon from the back.

While I think Hunt is a better all round FB, Slater is more of an attackign weapon from the back.

I think starting with Hunt and FB, and then bringing Slater on after the initial softening up period, and shifting Hunt to more of a roving role at lock is a great idea.

Having both Slater and Hunt in the team has seemed to serve well in the past.

If you ask me the starting side just about picks itself only variables would be

1. Hunt/Slater

12. Myles/Harrison

With the 2 who don't start on the bench

I think Hannant has a bench spot wrapped up.. really only leaving the one spot open. Which IMO could go to either a front or backrower. Though i'd probably be leaning more towards an impact type player like Costigan.

14. Hunt/Slater
15. Myles/Harrison
16. Hannant

Active Now

• broncs30
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncotville
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Skathen
  • Hurrijo
  • HarryAllan7
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • jarro65
  • Manifesto
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.