Queensland Preliminary Squad

Susan said:
Stagg has been better than both Johnson and Harrison this year. He has been sensational.

Indeed, and therefore perfect for the bench: skills and experience in both forwards and backs.

rnabokov said:
Hunt as lock? What on earth for? He's a lethal attacking weapon from the back.

No he isn't. He's a lethal attacking weapon when he injects himself into wide plays. A role which he can perform as a lock as well. Start him at the back to help us go forward and really wear down the blues.

Slater is a lethal attacking weapon from the back, albeit a bit more erratic than hunt.

It's a moot point because they won't leave Boyd out now, but a 2006-like scenario of Slater at fullback Hunt on the wing could work. In defence, Slater would be the fullback to take advantage of his broken field play/kick returns. In defence, switch around, Hunt doing the roving commission to work with Locky and Slater on the wing to finish them off.

Stagg is only good because he plays the full 80 and puts in a lot of work. He doesn't have enough punch for Origin especially off the bench. Johnson might not be playing as well as Stagg but he is still doing a lot of work. Apparently he has only missed 15 tackles out of 376 so far this year.

Je$ter said:
rnabokov said:

No he isn't. He's a lethal attacking weapon when he injects himself into wide plays. A role which he can perform as a lock as well. Start him at the back to help us go forward and really wear down the blues.

Slater is a lethal attacking weapon from the back, albeit a bit more erratic than hunt.

I should have said what I meant - as Full Back, and when he injects himself into the playmaking role.

Je$ter said:
rnabokov said:

You don't stop and think for a second that, considering the extra amount of defensive work Hunt would perform as a lock forward, his attacking abilities late in each half might be just slightly hampered?

He seemed to do ok when he played in the front line of defence last origin series. In the first game when he was at 6 wasn't so great, but keep in mind this time around he will have Lockyer and Thurston to call the shots.

Given the way Hunt is growing in stature and destroying the opposition from FB, and despite his one flaw: lack of absolute pace, I still cannot for the life of me see any cogent argument for having him shift up front.

For one, I totally agree with mick!, second - Harrison is a good ball-playing lock, 3rd - Hunt is an 80 minute player.

If, like at the Broncos, and given the Maroons backline will be close to what we have, why on earth break such a great combination?

I'd rather have Folau and Boyd on the wings and Prince or Thurston on the bench as the utility.

On form ATM:

1. Hunt
2. Folau
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Prince
8. Price
9 Smith
10. Civo
11. Johnson
12. Myles
13. Harrison

Bench: Hannant, Shillington, Thaiday, Thurston.

Good looking team rna. Don't think I could argue with any of it.

rnabokov said:
and Prince or Thurston on the bench as the utility.

Meninga has already come out and basically said that Prince, Thurston and Lockyer will not be in the same side

OXY-351 said:
rnabokov said:

Meninga has already come out and basically said that Prince, Thurston and Lockyer will not be in the same side

... And Who's to argue with the Man?

rnabokov said:
OXY-351 said:
rnabokov said:

The people on here who could coach the team better [icon_razz1

I don't understand how Prince or Thurston could be used as a utility. They can't play in the forwards, so they'll either have to replace Smith at hooker, who can play the entire 80 minutes there anyway and do a much better job, or replace one of the halves who can also play the entire 80. Might as well go with another forward instead.

OXY-351 said:
rnabokov said:
[quote="OXY-351":1ibqq1nf]
rnabokov said:

The people on here who could coach the team better [icon_razz1[/quote:1ibqq1nf]

Well, positional speculation is hardly coaching.

Alec said:
I don't understand how Prince or Thurston could be used as a utility. They can't play in the forwards, so they'll either have to replace Smith at hooker, who can play the entire 80 minutes there anyway and do a much better job, or replace one of the halves who can also play the entire 80. Might as well go with another forward instead.

I am sure Thurston could play lock or hooker, and with another forward, what happens if a back gets hurt - especially 6 &/or 7?

The only 4th forward I could see on the bench with any versatility would be Stagg

It doesn't have to be a forward either.

Last year's plan worked really well for us. Hunt starts at fullback, goes through the initial bashing phase, then Slater comes on and Hunt goes to the bench. He then later replaces Johnson at lock, since Johnson can't play the full 80.
This also works because Slater also has trouble playing an entire match against a proper rep side w/ brain explosion and what not.

Alec said:
It doesn't have to be a forward either.

Last year's plan worked really well for us. Hunt starts at fullback, goes through the initial bashing phase, then Slater comes on and Hunt goes to the bench. He then later replaces Johnson at lock, since Johnson can't play the full 80.
This also works because Slater also has trouble playing an entire match against a proper rep side w/ brain explosion and what not.

OK - No arguments there.

Johnson can well and truly play the 80 if that is what is required of him.

Either way I would be happy to see Hunt and Slater in the team. Even if it means one of them on the wing possibly...although it probably wouldnt work too well!

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • cento
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • Justwin
  • jd87
  • Foordy
  • unnerv1ng
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Tim K
  • Galah
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.