NEWS Raging Bull: Lodge's another complaint

it is not even about whether he should or shouldn't be Broncos captain ...

this article was written (or at least published), not only months after Lodge missed out on the captaincy in the first place, but also several weeks after he picked up a long term injury ...

not to mention it was published on the same day as another article buy the same author, stating that Carrigan will skipper the side in round 1, if Glenn is ruled out.

it is fairly obvious that Seibs and management rate Carrigan's leadership potential very highly and IMO, it is likely that he will be the next long term Broncos captain.

Context is important. I was at the launch yesterday. Tallis was on a panel with Lockyer and Mal and Crash asked about leadership in league, are we lacking good leaders?

Tallis responded with yes and then gave his why- if we are talking about Lodge being a leader......

That’s why there are Lockyer, Tallis and tomorrow will be Mal said stories this week.

Context is important. I was at the launch yesterday. Tallis was on a panel with Lockyer and Mal and Crash asked about leadership in league, are we lacking good leaders?

Tallis responded with yes and then gave his why- if we are talking about Lodge being a leader......

That’s why there are Lockyer, Tallis and tomorrow will be Mal said stories this week.

I’m not sure how that context changes anything? He was asked are we lacking good leaders and Tallis goes straight to Lodge. Someone that wasn’t made captain and shouldn’t even be in the conversation for it this year seeing he will most likely miss most of the year as a best case scenario. He doesn’t talk about the many other actual captains with dodgy pasts, straight to Lodge to simultaneously kick him and the club that helped put him where he is.

How exactly does the context change anything?

I’m not sure how that context changes anything? He was asked are we lacking good leaders and Tallis goes straight to Lodge. Someone that wasn’t made captain and shouldn’t even be in the conversation for it this year seeing he will most likely miss most of the year as a best case scenario. He doesn’t talk about the many other actual captains with dodgy pasts, straight to Lodge to simultaneously kick him and the club that helped put him where he is.

How exactly does the context change anything?

A few posters seemed to think it was just a random story written from nowhere.

You know it's footy season when Gordo starts ranting about the Broncos. **** Lodge crimes are that long ago now it should be a crime to bring them up.

I'm in the camp that says the right time for Lodge to be Capt is when he is the best choice out of all available options.
Right now he isn't, and the club chose well with Lexi.
In 2 years when Lexi retires (assuming that's right) perhaps Lodgey will be the best choice then, but perhaps Carrigan will continue his trajectory and he will be the best choice.
In that case Lodge may never be Capt.

Does anyone know the youngest regular captain in NRL history?

Someone said Lex was 8 months older than Cirrigan when he first got a run at captain but who were some of the youngest first choice captains?

Someone said Lex was 8 months older than Cirrigan when he first got a run at captain but who were some of the youngest first choice captains?

don't know if he is the youngest ... but Moylan was 24 when named captain of the Panthers

Nathan Cayless was only 21 when he was announced as the official captain for the Eels.

Both he and Cameron Smith were the two names that came to mind and what would you know they're referenced in the Carrigan article.

Nathan Cayless was only 21 when he was announced as the official captain for the Eels.

Both he and Cameron Smith were the two names that came to mind and what would you know they're referenced in the Carrigan article.

wasn't Smith 25, when named full time captain of the Storm

the article doesn't actually say that these guys were full time captains ... just that they captained a match (the season opener in Cayless case)

Last edited:
wasn't Smith 25, when named full time captain of the Storm

the article doesn't actually say that these guys were full time captains ... just that they captained a match (the season opener in Cayless case)

I believe they settled on him mid-2007, making him 24. After Kearns retired in 2005 they had a rotation policy that Smith was a part of. I just recall him being relatively young when he led Melbourne out against Brisbane in the 2006 Grand Final.

Cayless was actually the official captain in 2000. He suffered a couple of injuries through out the year so Stu Kelly and Jim Dymock came in, but Cayless was the first choice. I'm not sure if he's the official answer since I've only seen him referred to as the youngest captain at Parramatta.

Last edited:

Dave Brown was 19 and 12 days that's the youngest in Sydney.
Gus was 20 at Penrith in '78.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

^^ This poor guy right here is just stockpiling all the paper needed to clean up the shit that Tallis spews out of his bald gob

“I just told him to keep his nose clean and play good footy and I’ll leave him alone.

“The more I think about it the more I think the whole thing around him being the captain of the Broncos is not really his fault.

“It’s a proud club with a rich history but this shows lately they’ve had an inability to develop leaders.

“The Broncos have let him down by putting him in that position. The club has shown no leadership.

“I’ve probably softened a bit on Lodge’s story because he has got a family now and he has worked hard to try and clean his act up.”

Tallis quoted in a Fox story confirming his “discussion” with Lodge and finding another opportunity to have a dig at the club.

Gordie’s mates Kent and Bade teeing off about this on 360 now. I’m guessing Gordy is sick of fans hating on him so he has asked his boys to bully Lodge for him.

Gordie’s mates Kent and Bade teeing off about this on 360 now. I’m guessing Gordy is sick of fans hating on him so he has asked his boys to bully Lodge for him.
Did you hear that sly comment Kent made at the end of the segment about something happening around town and to watch this space?

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • BooKhaki
  • Culhwch
  • Horseheadsup
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.