NEWS Raging Bull: Lodge's another complaint

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel & Honnery from the Courier Mail gang up with former captain Gordon Tallis to stick the boot into Matt Lodge's tilt at captaincy. The former multi-Origin winning Broncos' legend had this to say at The Courier-Mail’s gala NRL season launch today:

“In society, we’re lacking leaders and that transcends into rugby league. Other than Cameron Smith (Storm skipper) ... when I played, if you buggered up, there was someone to grab you and they would say, ‘Don’t do that’."

“That’s gone out of the game. With the Broncos, if Matt Lodge is the captain of the club, we’re lacking leadership in the game. That’s my opinion and I’ll say that until the day I die. That shouldn’t happen in our game of rugby league. A leader is a leader of men, not a boy at a kindergarten. We play a man’s sport and they have to be good everywhere. They have to be great in society. They’ve got to fit in with what normal people do in life.”

"To captain an NRL side is a place of honour and with that comes responsibility with sponsors and multimillion-dollar brands attached to your name. Our game is about redemption and I get everybody deserves a second chance. With Matthew Lodge, OK, he has come back to play our game. I thought the Broncos brand was bigger than that. We used to sack players like him, now we are signing players like that. Look at Brisbane’s former captains - Wally Lewis, Allan Langer, Darren Lockyer and Gene Miles ... they are hall-of-fame icons. Shane Webcke, Trevor Gillmeister and Petero Civoniceva never captained the Broncos. "

"Matt Lodge has been sacked by three clubs. What part of him being sacked by three clubs are we missing here? Penrith, Melbourne and Wests Tigers didn’t want him in the organisation but the Broncos want to make him captain?”

Fellow living legend, Darren Lockyer disagrees:

“There were three or four guys we considered and Matt was among the candidates, but Alex Glenn was the one the club collectively decided was the best man to take the team forward. 'Lodgey' is a very good communicator, he is well respected by the boys and hopefully he gets back on the field this year. He has taken the (knee) injury really well. He is a natural leader as well and leads with his actions on the field. He obviously made a mistake in the past and he has paid a price for that, he knows that. He probably still has time to rebuild his reputation and give fans a real taste of who Matt Lodge is. He is aware of that and he has to prove himself on and off the field. He has some leadership credentials and in time there might be an opportunity for him.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I suppose it's the other side of the argument. He's entitled to hold that opinion. I don't agree with him though. Tallis has never heard of redemption, apparently.

Well if Gordon wants to be consistent, he probably should have followed that up with this:

“That’s gone out of the game. With the Titans, if Kevin Proctor is the captain of the club, we’re lacking leadership in the game. That’s my opinion and I’ll say that until the day I die. That shouldn’t happen in our game of rugby league. A leader is a leader of men, not a boy at a kindergarten. We play a man’s sport and they have to be good everywhere. They have to be great in society. They’ve got to fit in with what normal people do in life.”

It’s good to see that Tallis doesn’t draw the line at being sent home from an international camp whilst representing your country for recreational drug use out on the town before a test as being a red cross against being a club captain.

Last edited:
CTE from too many head knocks. Gorden's opinions are good for clickbait but pretty soon he will become a forgotten bore if all he can manage to do is bag his former team.

I would argue that the manner in which Lodge has turned his life around clearly demonstrates his leadership qualities.

Tallis and the CM seem to be on a witch hunt.

I did not want to see Lodge get another shot at being a NRL player after what he did, but since joining he has absolutely changed my opinion. In terms of the argument about criminals and rehabilitation, he is an exemplary model for what can be achieved.

Last edited:
I just don't see the point of this ...

Glenn was named captain to replace Boyd ... You won't find a more clean cut captain than Alex Glenn ...

Also he is out for at least the next 3 months with injury ... So he won't be captaining the club anytime soon

Imagine your entire media career being based upon bagging out the club you sat a year out to play for and captained as a player...

Why is this getting brought up now? Lodge is not and will not be playing for 12 weeks. What a sad way of trying to stay relevant.

Lodge cannot do anymore then he has. Unfortunately, because I loved Tallis as a player, I would now be prouder to call lodge a "broncos captain" then I would be to remember Tallis as our captain...

Last edited:
Well look at this thread, this is what he wants and keeps him employed, people talking about his 'edgy' opinions.

I would argue that the manner in which Lodge has turned his life around clearly demonstrates his leadership qualities.

Tallis and the CM seem to be on a witch hunt.

I did not want to see Lodge get another shot at being a NRL player after what he did, but since joining he has absolutely changed my opinion. In terms of the argument about criminals and rehabilitation, he is an exemplary model for what can be achieved.
If you can, read a story just out in the Australian by Brent Read. The attitude of Lodge is outstanding .

This is just one quote from Lodge
“I’m comfortable with who I am and just grateful to be back playing the game I love. I would hate to see my past bring any unwanted pressure on any of the boys or this great club. In a way, it has worked out well because I still have a lot to learn in life and leadership and also want to reach some of my personal goals and keep developing my own game which I can now focus on. I’m supportive of the decision.” (Giving the c to Lex)

Last edited:

Active Now

• Browny
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  • mieko
  • LittleDavey
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kiwi2
  • Bish
  • Organix
  • Midean
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.